Help I blew my 12"s

Unregistered guest
So far I have blown 2 pair of series 2 12" rockfords. I have a rockford 501bd amp and I only had the gain up about 3/4 of the way and the first set blew in less than a month so I got the second set free but the second set blew about two months later so I have to buy a new set but I need to find good speakers that won't blow. I was looking at Audiobahn awes12p but I don't know if they are too much speaker for the amp

Gold Member
Username: Invain

Michigan United States

Post Number: 1158
Don't even consider the Audiobahns. Especially if your looking for something better than your RF's. What's your budget, and does it matter if you have 1 or 2 subs?

Unregistered guest
Well I already have a box for two but it realy doesn't matter my trunk is huge (95' Buick Riviera). My buget, I want to stay under $300 there seems to be good deals on ebay

Gold Member
Username: James1115

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 1404
also turn your amp down you should never have it turned up more then half way. You are prob clipping the hell out of it thats why you are blowing subs. Clipping sends DC current through your subs and smokes them.

lefty25
Unregistered guest
The sub ripped at the seems both times and the backs where melted

Gold Member

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 1405
that would be clipping my friend. turn your amp down amps should not be used for volume control.

Gold Member

Michigan United States

Post Number: 1163
For 300 bucks you could easily get 1 Eclipse Aluminum. The 7100 series, or the older 8100, or 88 series. The 8100 and 88's are 500 watts rms, the newer ones are 450. The amp would match up very well with 1 of those subs. With 300 bucks you should be able to buy an Aluminum and a box for it as well.

Silver Member
Username: Subfanatic

Walton, Ky

Post Number: 670
or for 275 ill ship you 2 brand new used only once lol...12 inch rockford stage 3's lol

lefty25
Unregistered guest
what is better the 2 rockfords or 1 eclipse? and will 1 speaker be ok in such a big trunk, and should I be using a ported box, bandpass or sealed box

Silver Member

Walton, Ky

Post Number: 672
i have an eclipse al running in my car well in a sealed box(also for sale) 88100 lol...but it sounds awesome...the rockfords will hit much harder...but the al is THE best sounding sub i have ever personally heard

Silver Member

Walton, Ky

Post Number: 677
if you weant...ill selll you either the two stage 3's for 275 shipped or my eclipse for 180 shipped if your interested

Bronze Member
Username: Zacdavis

Beloit, Wi

Post Number: 15
James Longo
Gold Member

Wilton , ct

Post Number: 1404
Posted on Wednesday, March 02, 2005 - 04:41 pm:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
also turn your amp down you should never have it turned up more then half way. You are prob clipping the hell out of it thats why you are blowing subs. Clipping sends DC current through your subs and smokes them.

James, this isnt really accurate information. Sometimes you may need to have your gain turned almost all the way up. The gain's setting should be relative with the signal strength.

Gold Member

Michigan United States

Post Number: 1181
Partially true, however you rarely do have to turn it all the way up, althought I can say mine is turned up more than half way, and yes I listened and matched it correctly.

BTW, why did you steal zacdavis~'s name, and why do you keep copying everybody's name and post info when you do quotes?

Gold Member

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 1463
yeah if you ahve a great head unit with 6-8volt pre-outs I can see if but most are 4v and less.

Nick_sq
Unregistered guest
YOu want something thats not going to blow and youre lookin at audiobahn? Get the alum or some IDQ's or an IDmax...check out alpine type X...i got 2 and they are loud, and clean. Bit xpensive tho at ~500 bucks each.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us