Is this too much power for the alpine type r sub?

Anonymous

i have a 10'' alpine type-r(old version, the the 2005 model) and i plan on wiring it to a new Sony Amp...dont laugh, the new sony amps are pretty decent..neways, it pushes 500W rms and i was wondering if thats too much poer for the type r(the type r is rated at 300w rms)
will that bust my sub or will that be ok? cuz i heard the apline sub is quite underrated.

Silver Member
Username: Taylor17

Kopperl, Texas

Post Number: 729
It should be fine. Just listen to it for a little wile to make sure it doesn't sound like it is hitting to hard.

Anonymous

anyone else?

Bronze Member
Username: Tdbdrummer

Post Number: 20
Just make note, it is better to overpower than to underpower, as underpowering can damage speakers:tweeters, mids, and drivers.

Silver Member
Username: Rzarector

Coquitlam, Bc Canada

Post Number: 243
should be fine if everything is set correctly i doubt the amp will accually put out 500

Silver Member
Username: Hiphopanonymous

Post Number: 174
i do not think underpowering it will cause damage to the speakers. but overpowering it definitely will. i'm running 400 watts rms to a type r 12 and it's handling fine. it seems like it's craving more so maybe 500 will do the trick for yours. and listen if the sub is sounding abnormal.

Silver Member
Username: Sploosh56

Ohio

Post Number: 540
usually when a sub is underpowered the user tries to push more power out of the amp than it can produce thus causing the amp to send a clipped signal which damages the subwoofer

Bronze Member
Username: Vaio

Post Number: 39
Great choose Anonymous on amp SONY XPLOD KICK AZZ what is the model number of the sony amp that you got? because i got 4 1200Watts ones.

Bronze Member
Username: Kojak28

Augusta, GA USA

Post Number: 37
Another rule of thumb: ALWAYS overpower the sub(s). If you have a high excursion sub that is underrated like that type R, It can handle it. The reason I say this(and anyone who reads this is gonna scream BS! but I saw it and heard it with my own eyes and ears. Picture this: '85 Nissan Maxima (POS) 3 300w pa300 amps(ya'll know the old skool shiznit w/ 2 power inputs). 1 measly Kicker C-12 in a 2.43cu ft sealed box, 16 other highs/mids incl. 2 8's in the doors,5 1/4 mid range, 5 1/4 full, horn tweeters everywhere, harmon kardn xover, kenwood epicenter, Sony HU, kenwood eq. This thing was un-freakn-real. People would come up & ask "wwhatcha got in there...2 18's...4 15's?!? This dude said No man.......One lil'ol' 12. Then he opened the trunk and proved it! He was only in the 1000w class!(3 pa300's) I know he had 135+ dbs...CRAZY! Ain't no way I would believe that! Until I seen the schit. POINT: He was actually running 600W TRUE to that wimpy a$$ Kicker C-12. What's the RMS? 250w-maybe. OVERPOWER THE SUB(just not by TOO much)

Bronze Member
Username: Kojak28

Augusta, GA USA

Post Number: 38
This was only 15 years ago

Bronze Member
Username: Tdbdrummer

Post Number: 41
Thank you for agreeing Kojak. I am actually at fault for underpowering 2 sets of speakers I own with my Kenwood KR-2600. It puts out I believe 30WPC, and each speaker maxes at 120! Oh well, life isn't perfect.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us