Bass help!

Joe 99
Unregistered guest
I drive a 2000 2-door Chevy Blazer, and I was looking at subwoofers and amps for around $400, and I've come down to the Cerwin-Vega V-MAX and the Alpine Type-R (2004 model). I was just wondering if either sub is any better than the other, and if it would be better to go with two 10" subs, or one 12". I don't want to dedicate the space two 12" subs would take up. Thanks for any help

Gold Member
Username: Invain

Michigan United States

Post Number: 1053
One 12 would be better than 2 10's in my opinion. As for which sub, their both good for the price, and very close in performance. It's gonna have to come down to which one you like better, or which is cheaper maybe.

Joe 99
Unregistered guest
Thanks a lot! Both of these subs are rated at 300W RMS, could they both handle 400W RMS safely you think? Also, for best combo of SPL and SQ, should I go with a sealed or ported box?

Silver Member
Username: Nnnnick_b

Nc Usa

Post Number: 148
Sealed would give best sq. If u want more spl go ported. If ported tune to around 32 htz for a nice balance of sq and spl.

Joe 99
Unregistered guest
Thank you... I'll probably go sealed... So the 400W should be fine for either sub?

Gold Member

Michigan United States

Post Number: 1062
It should be ok if their sealed, just don't abuse them.

Gold Member

Michigan United States

Post Number: 1062
It should be ok if their sealed, just don't abuse them.

Bronze Member
Username: Geekbike

Post Number: 52
You can usually run higher wattage in sealed applications versus ported, so you'll be fine.

Silver Member

Nc Usa

Post Number: 155
wrong. Subs can handle more power in ported enclosures then in sealed. Thermal and mechanical power handiling capabilities are increased in a ported box. Unless the sub drops to far below tuning, then it practically goes free air but that is why we have subsonic filters. Ported boxes are also more efficient.

Silver Member

Nc Usa

Post Number: 156
sealed boxes just have a flatter, more natural frequency response, so they tend to sound better.

Gold Member

Michigan United States

Post Number: 1067
Ha, I just came back to post that nick. lol. Power handeling for ported enclosures is actually higher above the box's tuned frequency. Below it though, the power handeling is lower. Sealed boxes can take lots of power over a much wider range of frequency's, but sealed box's also have a lower effeciency than a ported box, which is one reason why you don't have to run as many watts to a sub in a ported box.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us