Looking to upgrade

Zac14
Unregistered guest
Ok, so heres whats going on. Right now I just have a crappy system (under $200 total) that I threw together to get at least some bass. Now i'm looking to buy a new system that has some serious hit. I'm wondering what I should be looking at, I've been looking at the 12W7's but if I decided to buy 12W7 I would only be able to afford one. My biggest question is, should I buy 1 12W7 with an amp that will be right near its max, or buy 2 of a different brand of sub. Also, if I did buy 2 subs, should I go with 1 amp for each sub?

Silver Member
Username: Subfanatic

Walton, Ky Usa

Post Number: 375
well..wahts your spending limit...how much room do you have....what sizes do you prefer...would u prefer a single sub and amp...or multiple....

Zac14
Unregistered guest
Well.. Im looking at around $1200. I have a ford contour, which probably doesnt give you much idea of how much room I have. Ive got 2 subs in my box right now, both fit decently well. I prefer 12's, and im not sure on the amps. If I went with 1 sub id get 1 amp, but if I got 2 subs I have no idea which would be better. 1 amp each or 1 for both.

Silver Member
Username: Taylor17

Kopperl, Texas

Post Number: 683
2 Eclipse T's, like $350 I think. Then git, 2 Hifonic's 1500D to push them. Like $380 each I think.
I'll check on the price's in a minute.

Silver Member

Kopperl, Texas

Post Number: 684
Sorry, I was a little off on the amp! It is $239 at www.sonicelectronix.com good website! I've bought almost all of my stuff from them.
So, we have 2 Eclipse T's at around $350 a piece. Grand total of sub's will say $800 give or take. Then we have, 2 Hifonic's 1500D's at $239 a piece. Total $480. We have a grand total of $1280.
Hope I didn't screw any of the price's up!
We'l see what everone else has to say.:-)l

Silver Member
Username: Ffxdevilarms

Post Number: 259
you forgot about the enclosure, alternator, sound deadening, wiring, etc...

Zac14
Unregistered guest
Hmm.. thats not to bad. Bad thing for me is, that means I have to make my box, and I only know how to make a regular ported box. Is there any place I could look at to either buy a reasonable priced box, or find out what I need/some instructions to make one. One other thing, I have a feeling the prices will go down by the time I have the money. I'll have the money for this stuff in July, til then I just have to wait and see if prices drop I guess. One thing I could do is build my box though.

Zac14
Unregistered guest
Oh, Chris. Im not gonna do serious competition or anything. I probably wont even get any sound deadening unless its really required. Thats why I was thinking get 12W7 for 560ish and I could use the same amp for 239. Thats only like 800 for amp/sub. Then I have plenty to spend on the rest.

Silver Member
Username: Ffxdevilarms

Post Number: 260
with that much wattage you will almost definately need a new high output alternator.

Silver Member

Kopperl, Texas

Post Number: 686
You'll need a new alt for sure, but if you take it easy, you could make that one do for a little while you save up for a new one.

Zac14
Unregistered guest
Err.. taylor, are you talking about having my alt make do til I get a new one?

Silver Member

Kopperl, Texas

Post Number: 687
Sound deadenner isn't really needed unless you want every bit of sq and spl out of your system. You could all way's add that later.

Silver Member

Kopperl, Texas

Post Number: 688
Yeah, with 2 of the 1500D amp's, you will need a new alt, but you could make the one you have now do until you git a new one.

Zac14
Unregistered guest
I didnt think about a new alt or cap or anything.
So now I gotta figure out how to get 1200 w/that stuff. What kinda cap/alt would you guys recommend?

Silver Member

Kopperl, Texas

Post Number: 691
No cap, it will just make your alternator work even harder.
For alternator's, take a look at 4alterstart.com

Zac14
Unregistered guest
Well im not exactly sure about what alternator would work, but I think I found one.

I have a 1995 Ford Contour and this is the alt I found

http://verizonsupersite.com/4alterstartcom/pages/store/skudetail.nhtml?profile=a lternators&uid=11941&returnURL=http%3A//verizonsupersite.com/4alterstartcom/page s/common/sitesearch.nhtml%3Fquery%3D95%20ford%20contour&catuid=10155

Zac14
Unregistered guest
What if I got just 1 12" sub and bought a snail shell. I dont know a lot about boxes, but from what the powered4sound site was saying it seems like it'd be easier to buy 1 sub, 1 amp, and the snail shell. Then, if I did do that, what sub should I get/do I need a new alt still?

Silver Member

Kopperl, Texas

Post Number: 696
Don't know personally, but I've heard that snail shell boxes are awsem.
You could go with 1 RE x.x.x, or Adire Brhama, or Eclipse T. They are all really close to each other, and cheeper than a w7.:-)
Then You could go with the Hifonic's 1000D. It will push any of the sub's fine.
You might not need a new alternator, but a new ho alternator wouldn't hurt eather.
the cheepest place I found on the Hifonic's amp is www.sonicelectronix.com
Unless you deside on gitting a more expencive amp with the money lift over. lol

Silver Member

Kopperl, Texas

Post Number: 697
As for that alternator, make sure you git the 200A alternator.
Thank's for the link, I don't live that far from Dallas and I need to git a Ho alt for the truck, the light's are starting to blink when the bass hit's.:-) lol

Bronze Member
Username: Nnnnick_b

Post Number: 34
The hifonics bx1000d is overrated. It only has a 60 amp fuse but supposidly does 1000 watts at 1 ohm. the rating is also at 14.4 volts, not 12 like more respectable companies. realisticaly it probaly puts out 750 at most at 1 ohm. all those subs need a 1000 watts or more(depending on enclosure type) to reach full excurion with addequate head room(clipping amps suck), look at JBL bp 1200.1, kx1200.1, jl 1000/1, ect

Silver Member

Walton, Ky

Post Number: 455
what is an HO alt...????

alos...since were on the subject...i am going to have a 15 inch eclipse ti in a ss and a ed nine.1 amp running...and i need to know...the strongest alt someone could find for me is a 150 amp alt...is that to weak...or is it to much...or just right lol

Bronze Member

Post Number: 35
HO - high output, an alternator must put out more then 12 volts in order to recharge the battery, most stock alts put out 13.8 volts, HO alts generaly put out 14.4 volts. 150 might be cutting it close. Should work unless u have ur headlights on while running your windshield wipers, with the ac all the way up. I would play it safe and try to find one closer to 200. like around 180amps. better to be safe then sorry.

Silver Member

Kopperl, Texas

Post Number: 700
Rong, a Brhama only need's 800 watt's to reach it's full excursion, if the box is built right.
Still, a 750 watt amp for $200, that isn't bad.

Silver Member

Walton, Ky

Post Number: 457
yea i know...i contacted one of the dealers at 4alterstart.com i think of remainbuild.com or whatever its called haha....but he said the highest made alternator they make is 150...can i add like capacitor or anything to it and that will make it safeer

Silver Member

Kopperl, Texas

Post Number: 702
A cap will just make the problem worse. The alternator will have to work even harder to keep the cap charged as well.

Silver Member

Walton, Ky

Post Number: 460
damn...what can i do then

Bronze Member

Post Number: 37
maybe with a ported box, but with a normal sealed box it will need more then that plus its always nice to have some head room. : )

Bronze Member

Post Number: 38
Hes right about the cap. the 150 should be fine, upgrade your battery too. i ran a hifonics bx1500d on a 120 amp alternator and my headlights dimmed a little. should work ok. def no cap tho.

Silver Member

Kopperl, Texas

Post Number: 703
Sealed boxes, require less power to reach full excursion.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 40
depends on tuning frequency, size of sealed box, many factors. i would prefer a larger amp. not sayin smaller wont work. hell u could prob get one to full excursion with 500 watts if u know what ur doin.

Silver Member

Kopperl, Texas

Post Number: 705
Lol, true.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 42
just go free air with 15 brahma 15"s and 1000watts.

Silver Member

Walton, Ky

Post Number: 464
what does free air mean

Bronze Member

Post Number: 44
no box, just run the sub out in the open. the rear wave almost completely cancels out the front wave. kinda like IB but no separation between front and rear wave.

Silver Member

Walton, Ky

Post Number: 465
isnt that bad for the sub

Bronze Member

Post Number: 46
if u run to much power to it. A brahma needs on average between 900 and 1100 watts to reach full excursion in a box. free air, it only needs 200 or so.

Silver Member

Walton, Ky

Post Number: 467
will it even sound good?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 47
also, b/c the front wave and rear wave cancel each other out ther is almost no sound, which is why you would need like 15 of them.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 48
not many people do it in cars, but its seen more often in home use. supposedly it sounds good but u need quite a few subs to make it work right.

Zac14
Unregistered guest
So if I get a brahma or X.X.X, where would be the cheapest place I could find em? So far, I havent even seen any brahma/X.X.X for sale anywhere. Best price ive found on the eclipse is $399 also. Anyway, ill probably get the biggest alt I can get, and I guess that means I can go snail shell w/1 sub.

Silver Member

Walton, Ky

Post Number: 485
you have to order off there site...www.reaudio.com

Silver Member
Username: Invain

Michigan United States

Post Number: 994
If you hurry there are like 3 x.x.x's on ebay right now.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us