Ma5080hx 4000w 500amp

Username: Mr_chicken

St.pete, Florida Usa

Post Number: 1
i have a ma audio ma5080hx 4000w rms 17volt it has 300amp fuse it calls for 500amp one. i have cadillac fleet rear wheel,90 amp alt. 1 extra batt and a new hybrid 40 farad cap maybe good for 40,000 watts from ratings if i dont repkace alt will i still be underpowering amp like before i had a cap? lights were dimming and 1 2000watt rms audiobahn was burning at leads on spider?

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 1610
You're asking for trouble with that amp. You've been lucky so far. The stock alternator is way too small for the job. You'll need at least 380A alternator. If the amp is asking for 500A fuse, that's a very big clue that your current battery/cap/alternator combo is not enough.
Your hybrid 40F capacitor is useless without HO alternator.
4000w rms will generate enough voltage near the speaker terminals to electrocute you, so use caution when working.

St.pete, Florida Usa

Post Number: 2
thanks for the feed back,i didnt have the cap before,it just came in last night. do you think if i used a sep amp just for my amps it may work better? would i be able to use a smaller alt then?
its been working w/ a 300 amp anl built in fuse it comes w/ but the manual says 500amp for some reason. if you dont mind me asking is it true that im taking out the speaker because of distortion from underpowering the amp itself?

St.pete, Florida Usa

Post Number: 3
and is it safe to say if the cap stops the light from dimming when the bass hits (havent put it in yet) that this would mean that i am now giving the amp the current it needs? my battery is a 900cold amps havent used the cap yet

Gold Member

Post Number: 1621
If your lights are dimming with every bass, it's a warning that your electrical system is not getting enough power.
Installing the capacitor will NOT help at all. You have an amp that's power hungry. A capacitor will only store energy not generate it. That is your alternator's job. But since it's only 90A, it won't be able to keep up with the amp's demand. Whatever the alternator can't supply, it'll try and get it from the battery. After that's gone, your alternator will die. Not only that, your car's electrical system will also get damaged. It is not a good idea to install powerful amps without adequate power supply.
Why do you need such large amp? You will never be able to use it in normal cars.
Have you thought of getting 1000w instead? Even that is a lot of power. It is enough to rattle mirrors/wipers/glass in your car.

St.pete, Florida Usa

Post Number: 4
yes its just that i have this amp and i paid so much for it, i wanted to make it work. do u know of a way of geting a alt w/ the power you suggest for the amp i have?
because im thinking of using two sep altenators in the car at once i have a 140amp in storage i can get fixed if that was just running two amps u think it would still be too little power?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1623
Okay try 4alterstart.com and ask them. They might be able to make a custom alternator big enough to help you. If you want the easiest option, you might want to send them your stock alternator to have it re-done. It'll be a bit cheaper too.
If all they can do is 250A, get it. At least it'll be better than your current one.

St.pete, Florida Usa

Post Number: 5
ok thanks a lot man all the info helps u gave me. i paid $130 for cap and it has 3year warn new in box so,should keep that w/ new alt right? i'll try not to bother too much more

Gold Member

Post Number: 1624
That cap will be useful only after you upgrade your alternator. So keep it.

St.pete, Florida Usa

Post Number: 6
ok so forgetting the 500amp in the book,if we just take the 300 amp fuse that came in it in the box brand new would i be safe w/ a 200amp alt? i can get any one autozone sells realy cheep (know manager) if i knew what car had the most amps. im asking still if the 200 amp is only for stereo w/ 40 farad cap and batt.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1625
You won't be safe with 200A alternator. What you can do is make sure you do NOT max out the volume control. Stay within your alternator's limit. Then you will be okay.

Bronze Member

St.pete, Florida Usa

Post Number: 13
ok so this amp says it doesnt have a volume contral it gos to full power from input signal,so are you saying i sould use high ohm speakers so instead of 4000w @4ohms i can do like 8 or 16 ohms do my amp cant go into full power? i mean if the wattage is lower wont it pull less amps? my last spaker was (1) 2ohm audiobahn 15.
and if not if i were to get 2 140amp alt. is there a way i could hook em up in series or something n whatever the car dont use like maybe 215amps could go toward my charging for system?

Bronze Member

St.pete, Florida Usa

Post Number: 14
im trying to find two small alt's i can hook up side by side just for system but not sure what cars had small high factory alt. i already have a 140amp in storage i can use just for system
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us