Ohms

steve__o
Unregistered guest
hey guys im 15 years old and I'm starting to look into car audio, for when I can drive. I have one question to ask. Do you have to match the sub ohms with the amp ohms, or does the ohms on the amp just mean that it can handle that much? Like if I had a 3 ohm sub would I need a 3 ohm amp or does a 4 ohm amp just mean it can handle up to 4 ohms? Thank you and sorry for the newb question lol.

Bronze Member
Username: Mr_chicken

St.pete, Florida Usa

Post Number: 11
if you have a 3ohm sub you can use a 2 ohm amp,that might be the closest thing to that but it will be a little less power than a 2 ohm load ratting you see when u buy it. look at the lowest ohms that the amp can go and make sure your ohms dont go below it,also if you had 2 3ohm speakers you can hook em up to be either 1.5 ohms or 6 ohms same w/ a dvc sub. but if you just have one then make sure you either mmatch it or make sure it doesnt go below ok?

Silver Member
Username: Rzarector

Coquitlam, Bc Canada

Post Number: 239
when i buy an amp and sub\s you do need to match them up.. the way most amps work is that they deliver most of there power at 2 ohms some at 1 ohm.. the less ohms the amp is stable it the less resistance there is in the circuit.. il use alpine amp for example.. the MRD M1001 gives 1000 watts rms at 2 ohms but gives only 500 at 4 ohms so when i bought my subs to match the amp i bought 2 dvc(dual voice coil) 2 ohm subwoofers because whn wired in parrallel they will put a 2 ohm load on the sub .. and since the amp says its only stable at 2 ohms or 4 ohms , u dont want to wired it at anything above or below that- 1 ohm or anything above 4 becuase this would damage the amp

Steve__o
Unregistered guest
Ok so I was looking at maybe getting 2 of these audiobahns. It says they run on either 3 or 12ohms, but I could just buy a 2 ohm amp for each and it would work good? And if I wanted 1000rms from the amp for 3 ohms what should the rms be rated if I get a 2 ohm amp? like 1200rms maybe? http://www.millionbuy.com/adbalum12q.html

Silver Member
Username: Marley289

Post Number: 118
dont get audiobahn, ask anyone else what they think of them...they will say they are poor quality.

steve__o
Unregistered guest
Aright man thanks for the heads up. What would you suggest for a cheap quality brand with good bass? What about the pioneer premier subs?

Bronze Member
Username: Nnnnick_b

Post Number: 22
lower end alpine and infinity, Adire shiva/tempest, kicker comp/compvr
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us