Amp blows Distribution block fuses

Silver Member
Username: Xxkmfdmxx

St. Petersburg, FL USA

Post Number: 369
I have a MTX 1501D, about 5 seconds after I supply power to the amp the 100A fuse will blow and burn up in the distribution block. Which of course cuts the power out to the amp. What can cause this? Me and a friend have been trying things for the past hour and cant find the problem. The amp was working fine about 3 days ago but now this just came out of the blue.

Silver Member

St. Petersburg, FL USA

Post Number: 371
Bump, Anyone? Dont feel like takeing it to a shop and getting charged up the @$$.

Bronze Member
Username: Kklagge

Post Number: 87
Do you have another amp that you can hook up to see if it's the amp or if your power wire is touching bare metal somewhere?

Silver Member

St. Petersburg, FL USA

Post Number: 373
Yeah I got another amp to hook up, I'll test it and see what happens. I got the power wire wired underneath the car comeing from the battery to the trunk with the amp, Thats fine right?

Bronze Member
Username: Kklagge

Post Number: 88
I would never run the wire outside the car...too many elements to corrode/ruin the wire, etc. You may have cut the casing around the wire and it's touching the bare metal underneath.

Silver Member

St. Petersburg, FL USA

Post Number: 374
Yeah I figured that, Some how my friend convinced me that it was the best way to wire it. Previously I had it wired going through the firewall then into my car. The coating can touch bare metal right? Its a 4 gauge by the way so it isnt the easiest to cut.

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 1609
Whoa, you can't be serious right? You can't run a live wire outside the car. You're just asking for trouble. You're lucky nothing shorted out. It could catch fire, especially during hot summer days. All you need is some dried up twig near the power wires when it gets shorted. You know that there's a gas tank under the car right?
You've been very lucky thanks to the fuses so far.

Silver Member

St. Petersburg, FL USA

Post Number: 378
Yeah I know. I had a feeling it wasnt good to do but as I said, Friend convinced me(Whos been installing amps and such for 10 years) Thats its best to wire underneath, The hole is still there in the firewall so I'll just rewire it. I'll post back later on when I re-wire it. and see if the problem has been fixed.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1611
Even if the problem isn't solved, it's a much safer way to wire. I'm glad I didn't get my car done by your firend.

Silver Member

St. Petersburg, FL USA

Post Number: 379
As you should be, He does very messy setups anyways. I wired my amps previously with no problem but for some reason I let him wire this one. As I said I'll rewire it, If the problem is still happening I'll try another amp, If the other amp is still cutting out then what could the problem be?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1613
Then it could just be bad amp. It happens. Nothing you can do but get if fixed or replaced.
Just so you know, not all MTX amps are good. Some are better than others. I know the older MTX amps used to be pretty good and durable. The new ones, I am not sure. The same thing applies to RF and Kicker.
PPI's PC and PCX series amp are very good for the money. They are also made in the US.

Silver Member

St. Petersburg, FL USA

Post Number: 380
Tried a JBL 600.1 amp in its place. Works fine. So I guess its the Amp then with the problem?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1622
If you want to be 100% sure, get a circuit breaker and then attach the amp. This time with a DMM, measure the current flowing to the amp. Most amps with no load will eat up 1A-2A. So if you're getting much more, then the amp is at fault.
Do rewire your amp cables properly inside the car.

Silver Member
Username: Sploosh56

Ohio

Post Number: 517
If you're running a MTX 1501D I would use at least 2 guage wire. That amp draw a lot of current.

Silver Member

St. Petersburg, FL USA

Post Number: 381
Amp is already on its way to repair, So cant test that. Just wondering, Since I have the 600.1 hooked up the the 1501Ds setup, Is it ok running a 4guage power wire to the 600.1?

Silver Member
Username: Sploosh56

Ohio

Post Number: 520
yea that's fine but when you get your mtx amp back if I was you I'd invest in some 2 guage power and ground wire
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us