Did I blow my amp?

Unregistered guest
What happened was the ground fell off the amp and touched the postive and sparked for a split second. Amp worked for about 5 seconds now it won't turn on. I checked the fuses on one next to the battery and the two on the amp and were all good? So did I blow it and have to buy a new one or am i missing something?

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 1614
You might want to check the fuses on the amp itself. If they're okay, then try connecting the remote wire to the pos. Shorting out the ground to the pos shouldn't damage the amp. That mostly should knock out the external fuse.
When you said you checked it, did you get a DMM and measure it? Sometimes looks can be deceiving.

ltpram
Unregistered guest
ok i changed all the fuses and the amp turns on but im not getting any sound out of the subs

Bronze Member
Username: Kojak28

Augusta, GA USA

Post Number: 12
check the conyinuity of the speaker outlets. The easiest way I have found that if my amp was blown, I just picked it up and smelled the inside. Sounds hokey I know but it works. I had a Fosgate 1200A/b(I forget the actual model because it was my first amp) I was hooking up my cap and the power wire arced across the amp. It would power up, but no juice coming across the speaker outlets.

ltpram
Unregistered guest
what do you mean the wire was arced?

Username: Ltpram

Post Number: 1
?

Post Number: 2
i rewired the amp and i got it to work for a few seconds then it went into protect mode. and i have the gain on NOM. any ideas?

Silver Member
Username: Marley289

Post Number: 117
i know this is a bit far fetched, but do you think that the load is too low for the amp to handle (as in you have it wired to 1 ohm but the amp is only stable at 2 ohms?)

Bronze Member

Augusta, GA USA

Post Number: 15
At the very beginning of your thread, you stated that the ground wire fell off the amp and sparked. THAT is aperfect example of arcing. My power wire was connected to the battery(idiot) and it touched the amp.

Post Number: 3
so it there anyway to fix it or did i blow it?

Bronze Member

Augusta, GA USA

Post Number: 32
I agree w/ LB. Check your wiring on the subs. See what ohm load you have. The amp going into protect is a GOOD sign you did NOT blow it. What kind of amp we talkin' 'bout here anyway?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us