Won't turn on!

Zach K
Unregistered guest
Hi, I just hooked up my JBL amp and it just won't turn on... I am confident in my wiring and even checked the voltage where it enters the amp with a multimeter and got 12 volts when the ngine is off and about 14.56 when it's on..... what do I do from here?

Silver Member
Username: James1115

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 726
do you have a good ground? Is the amp new or used? has it worked before for you if it is used?

Zach K
Unregistered guest
seeing as how my multimeter says i'm getting the voltage i need... I'd assume i have a good ground... I purchased the amp off of ebay where it was said to be new.

Silver Member
Username: Lbeckner

Tulsa, Ok Usa

Post Number: 298
short +12v terminal to the remote terminal on amp and see if it comes on.

Zach K
Unregistered guest
Alright, you're awesome... I now have the power cable connected to the 12v+ and then a small wire going from 12v+ to REM and it works! I'm now pushin some serious air. Thanks so much.

GMG
Unregistered guest
wouldn't that cause the amp to stay on even after the vehicle is turned off? I'm just wondering because this is the same problem I'm having right now. Also, Mr. Lucas Beckner whats a good place in Tulsa to have car audio done? just wondering because I live in Catoosa and I need a reputable place to have audio work done.

Silver Member

Tulsa, Ok Usa

Post Number: 299
Yeah. Zack that was a test to see what the problem is. If you have an aftermarket deck then you need to run a wire from the remote on the deck to the remote on the amp. This will turn the amp on/off with the deck and save your battery. Otherwise use a switch to turn it off manually.
GMG, I do my own work, but I recommend Streets Audio. Ask for Mike. He really knows his stuff. Tell him I said hi.

GMG
Unregistered guest
Thanks for the recommendation. As for trying to solve the problem... if the amp is already hooked up to the deck via the remote wire. and the amp still won't turn, what could that be? . (this is before I try the test mentioned above)

GMG
Unregistered guest
Oh yeah, I used a multimeter as well and power is getting to the amp

GMG
Unregistered guest
I just performed the test and it worked. The amp turned on and the thumping started! Now my next question has to do with the remote wire. I have the remote wire connected to the blue wire from my wiring harness that reads "amp" and it still does not work. What could be the problem?

Silver Member

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 785
go to your radio/cigg lighter fuse in your fuse box.

GMG
Unregistered guest
do you mean wire my remote wire to the fuse box or check those fuses? The fuses were fine except in the cig lighter. And if I should wire the remote wire to the radio fuse in the fusebox, how would I go about doing this?

Username: A9xs

Post Number: 1
hey i have a question i have a Visonik V2608 amp and when i hook it up just the 12V ,ground and remote the protection light comes on and the power light flashes on and off and my dome light dims and my battery guages drops like the amp is drawin power and subs are hittin the problem is the RCA's arent hooked up and neither are the speakers....anyone know what the problem is i have tried hookin everything up i have a good ground i tried unhookin the remote wire n runnin a jumper wire from the 12V to the remote on the amp and still same thing....anyone know whats up? thanks

Silver Member

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 798
yes run your remote wire to your fuse box. any accesory power will do just fine. I just named your cig lighter or your radio because they a accessory ignition fuses.

GMG
Unregistered guest
How do I go about running the remote wire to the fusebox? Would I have to find a wire behind the fusebox or run it into a fuse?

Silver Member

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 802
run it into the fuse.

Silver Member

Tulsa, Ok Usa

Post Number: 300
GMG, The remote wire on the back of the deck is usually blue w\white stripe. Another alternative is to use a switch hooked up to +12v on the radio and on the remote on the amp. Then you can turn the amp on/off with the switch.

Silver Member

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 843
just run it to the fuse box and you dont need to use a switch.

Silver Member

Tulsa, Ok Usa

Post Number: 301
Adam, if you disconnect the speakers will the amp stay on? If it does then maybe you've overloaded the amp. How do you have your speakers hooked up? And how many ohms are your speakers? are they single voice coil or dual? If you have the amp bridged in mono then the lowest load the amp can handle is 4ohm. If the amp is in stereo then 2ohms per channel is the lowest impedance.

Post Number: 2
what happened is i hooked the amp up n everything was working fine i have a pioneer premier 650 deck 2 12inch sony xplod subs the hexagon ones 1200 watts a peice and the visonik 1400 watt amp i hooked everythin up and i turned the cd player volume up to 10 and i was puttin my deck back in the dash and then the amp went into protect i hooked another amp up n it worked so i know its not my wiring and i took the amp apart inside on the cirsuit board R33 R76 and R79 and R80 have no little diode things in the spots......IM me on AIM if you can my screen name is "a9xs"

Silver Member

Tulsa, Ok Usa

Post Number: 303
How are the speakers hooked up? You should not have the amp bridged. You should have one speaker to each channel on the amp.

Post Number: 3
the speakers arent hooked up, they were bridged and i had the volume on 10 on my deck and it just went off now the protect light stays on and the power light flashes. And like i said R33, R76, R79,R80 lil diode things are missin off the circuit board....

Silver Member

Tulsa, Ok Usa

Post Number: 304
Adam, The components missing off the circuit board is normal. Unless they were burned or broken off. It sounds like maybe the amp is damaged. It probably occured when you bridged it too low. Maybe you could tell the people you brought it from that it was dead on arrival.

Post Number: 4
even R33 missing is normal cuz i have an old junk amp i took it apart n R33 is present there

mikeone
Unregistered guest
I have a pioneer TS-3000T amp in my car and i've confidently wired it...i know it is getting 12 volts because the multimeter says so but the blue light on the amp that is supposed to turn on when the car is turned on just flickers and goes out soon after ignition. The system control wire is connected to the amp wire on my harness and I have a solid ground. It is not sending anything to my sub either, it is brand new.

Silver Member

Tulsa, Ok Usa

Post Number: 308
mikeone, short +12v terminal to the remote terminal on amp and see if it stays on.

Post Number: 5
lucas you know anything about my post right above mikeone's?

Bronze Member
Username: Sony224422

Deep River, CT US

Post Number: 41
Make sure your in the right remote turn on. I know that sony has a blue and a blue and striped wire for remote turn on, and you'd want to use blue striped for it. Im assuming the rest are like this too.

Silver Member

Tulsa, Ok Usa

Post Number: 315
when they make the beadboards in the factory they don't always need all the components. maybe this is due to schematic changes. but if it comes out of the factory with a component missing then it is probably normal.

Post Number: 6
ya but do you know what would cause the protection light to stay on and the power light to flash? even when no speakers are hooked up it does it when only the 12V,remote, ground is connected to the amp and my dome light flickers as if the amp is drawing power.....

Username: The_fox

Post Number: 6
try changing the terminals that the speakers are attatched to. i had a problem with my amp light going on and off and once i changed the speaker terminals round it worked. worth a try anyhow....

Silver Member

Tulsa, Ok Usa

Post Number: 322
Adam, sounds like a faulty amp Adam. Sorry.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us