New to the game...need help

Username: Durango2000

Post Number: 1
Okay, I just picked up a 2000 Dodge Durango and I'm looking to make it sound pretty descent. Problem is, Im pretty new to this stuff and need some suggestions.

So the question is...if you were a 19 y/o w/ a Durango, what type/brand of Subs, Amp, Speakers, and Headunit would you put in it?

Obviously its based on how much I want to spend, but this will be a slower process for me, purchashing everything as the $ comes in. I want to be able to put togeteher a system that im not going to want to change up after a little while, if i put the $ into it i want it to be/look nicer and be able to last a while. Thanks guys for the help!

Silver Member
Username: Taylor17

Kopperl, Texas

Post Number: 506
Jl w7 with the 1000/1 powering it, or the Eclipse T.
Actually, I would pick the Eclipse over the Jl.

Silver Member

Kopperl, Texas

Post Number: 507
As far as head unit's, just pick out the one you think look's best.
Go with Pioneer, Alpine, or Eclipse.
Speaker's go with Infinity, Mb quart's.

Post Number: 2
hey buddy thanks for the suggestion...where would u suggest purchasing these?

Silver Member
Username: James1115

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 832
those are good suggestions Taylor but lets start here. How much do you have to spend right now?

Post Number: 3
i have about $500 right now to deal with

Silver Member
Username: Invain

Michigan United States

Post Number: 600
Yeah. No offense Taylor, but you should get an idea of how much their gonna spend before you suggest a w7 and a 1000/1, lol, althought that would be very nice. 500 bucks wouldn't even buy the sub or the amp by itself, so your probably just wanna worry about a headunit right now. Look into Alines and Exlipse's first, Clarion's too, or Nakamachi.

Silver Member

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 839
thats exaactly where I would start as well. those are all good choices.

Post Number: 4
yeah, lol i didnt expect to get all the things im looking for @ $500...thats just what I have at this moment...I do plan on putting much more $$ into it, just as it comes tho.

For the things that were suggested, around how much do they run $ wise and where would be the best place to buy them from?

Also any other suggestions would be helpful, thnx!

Silver Member

Michigan United States

Post Number: 605
The lowest end Alpine stuff is still gonna be better than anything you can buy in a Circuit City or Best Buy. I think you can get the low end Alpine for like 100 bucks off Ebay. Their mid range stuff can run from 150 - 500 bucks. Eclipse's are a litte more expensive, especially for their Top of the line units. I think Nakamachi's are also in the Alpine/Eclipse price range. Clarion's might be slightly cheaper, but if they are it's not by much. You should really consider looking for stuff online. Sometimes it may be risky buying stuff off Ebay that doesn't come with a warranty, but I have gotten every thing related to car audio I have ever owned from Ebay, and I haven't had a bad experience yet. There are also lots of other online dealers.

Silver Member

Kopperl, Texas

Post Number: 508
Ya, I know w7's and T's aren't cheep, but he said he was going to slowly build a system, so I figured I would give him a list of a few good item's.:-)
Like they said, I would buy the head unit first, then when you have a little more money saved up, then go for sub's like the w7 or Eclipse.
I also listed w7, and the T's because he doesn't want to upgrade so I figured I would list the top of the line stuff.
Then buy the amp, or amp's. Then you can buy the component's.
It will cost a lot of money, but you will have a top of the line system, and one of the baddest around where you live.
Just look around on the internet for the thing's we listed, everything is always cheeper off the web.
Also for sub's, check out the Re x.x.x at www.reaudio.com
Basically everything I listed is close to 500 dollar's and up. If that is more than you wanted to spend, tell us what the max is you wanted to spend.

Post Number: 5
thanks guys...i appreciate the help,. would any of ya'll mind if i emailed you personally as I come across things and ask your opinions? if so let me know..again thanks for the help!

Silver Member

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 844
I have bought everything off of ebay. I would look into the upper end Alpine and Eclipse equipment. For under $500 you can get a nice deck. I got a $500 for $300 on ebay. here ya go this retails for $500. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=39750%26item%3D5752732882 %26 that is a very good unit.

Silver Member

Michigan United States

Post Number: 607
Nope, if you have any questions go a head and email me.

Silver Member

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 846
yeah me too it would prob be faster if you just started a new thread we should remember you.

Silver Member

Kopperl, Texas

Post Number: 510
I wouldn't care, but I never chek emaile. Like james said it would be easier if you started new thread's.

Post Number: 6
What do you think about 2 ALPINE SWS-1242D TYPE-S 2004 12" SUBWOOFERS for the Durango?

Silver Member

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 862
they arnt the best but they will sound OK on a budget. If you are doing this slowly and want to do it right I dont recomend them. Atleast step up to the type R's.

Post Number: 7
james - what type amp would i need for 2 12" type R? I know these may sound really simple but i dont really know a ton about this stuff. also, if i were to purchase speakers, does this affect what type of amp i would need or no?

Silver Member

Michigan United States

Post Number: 627
If your talking 2 older Type R's, which are much easier to get, then get (2) 2 ohm Dual voice coil R's. Wire each sub in series and then wire them both in parallel to get a final load of 2 ohms. I'd look for an amp that pushes about 600-700 rms @ 2 ohms.

Silver Member

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 865
there ya go. I would try to find the new ones though. look into a 1000/1 or any 1000 watt rms amp at 2ohms. Alpine makes one the mrd 1005 or something like that.

Silver Member

Michigan United States

Post Number: 630
Yeah. If you can get the new ones, do it. I don't think there's even a price difference.

Username: Zhudlin3790

Wichita, KS US

wiring diagram i have a 1600w amp and two 500w subs and i need to know how to wire it all.
HELP ME PLEASE!!!!!!

Silver Member
Username: Hdubb

Farmington, Nm Usa

Post Number: 704
need more info zach. are they dual voice coil subs or single? is that rms or max, alsways go by rms

Post Number: 8
ok here are the specs on the subs im lookin at:

(2) 2004 Alpine Type R SWR-1221D

Subwoofer Size 12"
Impedance 2 OHM + 2 OHM Dual 2 ohms
RMS Power Handling Per Sub: 300 watts per sub 600 watts for both subs
Peak Power Handling Per Sub: 1000 watts per sub 2000 watts for both subs
Frequency Response Fs-1kHz
Sensitivity 87db
Coil Height (Hvc) : 37.74mm
Cone Area (Sd) : 467.59 sq. cm
D.C.Coil Resistance (Re) : 3.6 ohm + 3.6 ohm
Electrical Q (Qes) : 0.45
Equivalent Suspension Stiffness (Vas) : 58 liters(2.04cu.ft.)
Free Air Resonance (Fs) : 28Hz
Frequency Response : 24Hz - 1kHz
Gap Height (Hag) : 10mm
Impedance (Nominal) : 2 ohm + 2 ohm
Inductance (Le) : 3.85mH at 1kHz (1.34mH at 20kHz)
Linear Excursion (X linear) : 13.87mm
Maximum Excursion (X peak) : 27.7mm
Mechanical Excursion (Peak-to-Peak) : 55mm
Mechanical Q (Qms) : 8.31
Sensitivity : 87 dB/W/M
Total Loudspeaker Q (Qts) : 0.43
Recomended Sealed Box Volume 0.7-1.0 f 3

those sound like they'll do the trick?

Silver Member

Farmington, Nm Usa

Post Number: 707
yes. they are dual 2 ohm, so you will have to wire them in a series to get 4 ohms apiece which will give you 2 ohms at the amp. so find an map with 600 to 700 watts at 2 ohms. i think the mtx 801 might be a good reliable cheap choice.

Silver Member

Farmington, Nm Usa

Post Number: 708
map? wtf i think you might want an amp

Silver Member
Username: Rob315

Cuse, NY U.S.

Post Number: 122
lol...good thinkin hunter....how does everyone feel about putting 600watts RMS to each type r?? thats what im gonna do and everyone says its gonna be to much but i guess well see lol

Silver Member

Farmington, Nm Usa

Post Number: 713
i think if you do it right then they will be ok, not too much bass bost and just be gentle, like it was there first time.:-) is it the new type Rs if so then it wont be a problem.

Username: Zhudlin5478

Wichita, KS US

Post Number: 1
i don't know they are cuspid 500w max power subs and 1600w max power amp

Wichita, KS US

they didn't come with a manual

Bronze Member
Username: Dustin507

Post Number: 37
Yeah just get the new Type R's and you won't even have to worry about the extra 100 watts

Silver Member

Farmington, Nm Usa

Post Number: 719
ok zach, how many coils on each sub? and do you know the name of the company that makes them? and maybe the impedence of the voicecoils on each woofer, for example i have a adire audio brahma, it is a dual voicecoil sub, and the coils are rated at 2ohms a piece. so that means i can wire it parallel(pos to pos, neg to neg) to get a 1 ohm load to the amp. the other way i can wire it is in a series(pos to neg, pos to neg) giving me a 4 ohm load to the amp. this is where the iimpedence(fancy word for ohms)of the amp comes in to play. since my amp can handle a 1 ohm load i run it parallel and it gets 1 ohm. BUT if my amp were not 1 ohm stable then if i ran it at 1 ohm i would cook it quick. that is why this is important. im thinkong that your amp is 2 ohm stable, and your subs are either single voicecoils, at 4 ohms. or they are dual 4 ohm. see if you can find a brand and we'll go from there.

Wichita, KS US

they are 4ohm Cuspid subs and the amp is 10k ohm at the Low-level input and 2,4, or 8ohm output. but i don't understand what the coils are

Silver Member

Farmington, Nm Usa

Post Number: 726
are there two spots for wire input on the subs or one.
http://rockfordfosgate.com/rftech/wiringwizard.asp

check that out and tell me if it helps.

Username: Zhudlin3790

Wichita, KS US

from looking at the picture they look like single because there is only one spot for hookup

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 3282
For a starter system, the head unit is always recommended first. It allows you the most room to expand the system and also plays MP3s and WMAs (usually). You also have more control over the system via processing. Eclipse, Alpine, and Clarion units range from $500-600 for the top of the line units usually.

Optimally the next upgrade would be to prepare the car for a system, mainly via sound deadening. People are rarely patient enough to do this, but in the end it saves time and provides huge benefits for the system. I recommend this now because you'd rather do this before you install all the equipment, that way you're not tearing it all out and starting over again. Sound deadening provides the biggest improvement in doors, next would be the floor of the vehicle, and then smaller areas such as the headliner if you want to get more extreme with it.

The next upgrade that I recommend is the front speakers. Subwoofers+stock speakers sound like a$$ together and it's a muddy sounding nightmare. Front component speakers are the most noticeable difference you'll make in the overall sound quality of a system, as they provide the bulk of the music. If you want top of the line stuff, look at speakers from Focal, Dynaudio, CDT, MB Quart, JL Audio, Infinity, Adire Audio, and others. You can find any of these sets in a respectable price range online. Most are $600 or under. Some, such as the JL Audio, Infinity, and the Adire Audio sets are $200-$350.

The next upgrade I recommend is an amplifier for the speakers, or an amp that is capable of powering both speakers and subs. If you looking for a higher powered subwoofer system, you'll want to also save for a dedicated subwoofer amp, but it will cost more money. Typically, a good set of component speakers will take roughly 100W RMS power, so you can either get a 100x2 amp for the components and a dedicated subwoofer amp, or you can get a 4 channel amplifier that is 100x4, and bridge the rear channel for the subwoofer, which will provide roughly 400W RMS in this case. There are many subwoofers that will get loud with 400W RMS, especially in a ported box. Dedicated subwoofer amps are more costly, but provide much more power and you can get good amps that will provide 1000+ RMS power if needed.

Last would be the subs and box for them. You don't necessarily have to have a set number of subs, that is the biggest mistake I see people making. Most people want something like two 12" subs in a sealed box, when in reality they could get one better 12 in a ported box with the same power as those 2 12" subs, and outperform it in both SQ and SPL. Good subwoofers come from companies like Eclipse, Image Dynamics, JL Audio, Eclipse, Resonant Engineering, Adire Audio, and many others.

Post Number: 9
What do ya'll think a total Alpine Type R set up? Type R subs and speakers?

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 3284
"What do ya'll think a total Alpine Type R set up? Type R subs and speakers?"
Good, but really nothing spectacular. Infinity Kappa Perfects are a component set in a similar price range and are much better. As far as subs, there are many in the price range that are just as good or better, it just depends on what you want.

Post Number: 10
what would you suggest for subs then if there are some better in the similar price range?

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 3288
Better for you is what you should be concerned with. The Adire Audio Shiva gets louder than a Type R and sounds excellent. It's not necessarily a "better" sub, I'm just saying you should choose based on what you want to get out of the system. Image Dynamics IDQ's are also excellent subs in that range, SPL is similar to a Type R and most people prefer the SQ of them. All in all, I'd personally get one sub that is better, the Image Dynamics ID Max can be found online for a little over $300 and is an excellent subwoofer. Assuming you'd give the same power to an ID Max as you would the 2 Type Rs, SPL would be the same or better than the 2 Type Rs and SQ of them is VERY good. Low tuned ported will offer fantastic results with that sub.

Silver Member

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 886
yeah I agree fully with Jonathan. ID max is a great sub. One of my personel favorites.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
You mentioned something about infinity's... would this be one that you would recomend?

INFINITY KAPPA 12.1 12" SUBWOOFER
aluminum cone
high-roll butyl-rubber surround
massive cast-aluminum basket suitable for free- air use (handles up to 175 watts in free- air applications)
recommended power range 75-350 watts RMS
peak power handling 1,400 watts frequency response 18-200
Hz sensitivity 96 dB top mount depth 6-1/8"
sealed box volume: 1.0 cu. ft.
ported box volume: 1.75 cu. ft.

Silver Member

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 887
he was talking about infinity components not subs.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
my mistake...dumb question

Etronics
Unregistered guest
I get most of my car audio from www.etronics.com It is a good place to deal with and will get you started with components and a head unit. Possibly some subs depending on what finally decide on.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us