3 really quick questions

Doug W.
Unregistered guest
OK 1st question. I blew both of the fuses in my amp and when I replaced them one of my 2 12" subs sounds really papery when it plays. Did I blow this sub? I think i did but i'm not sure so if I did I was looking to get some new subs. So for my 2nd question I was wondering which subs out of the 3 would have better SQ a pair of Image Dynamics IDQ's, a pair of Alpine type R's, or a pair of Infinity Kappa Perfect 12.1D? Or is there another subwoofer with around 300 watts RMS that would have better SQ? And my last question is, are 10" subs better than 12" subs for SQ?

Silver Member
Username: Hdubb

Farmington, Nm Usa

Post Number: 633
1. there is a chance that you did blow your subs, or ripped a hole in the cone. not too sure need more info.
2. the type Rs are a good bet there but the idqs are also a great sub, but i think the type Rs would work good.
3. now days 12s haver the same control as 10s. there cones are lighter and will move just as fast as 10. go with 12s....unless you dont hav ethe room

Silver Member
Username: Invain

Michigan United States

Post Number: 472
I would probably recommend the IDQ's over the Type R's, unless your talking about the new '05 Type R's.

Doug W.
Unregistered guest
no im talking about the old type R's that are 300 watt RMS? Anyone else have input on whether I should go with the IDQ's, Kappa Perfects, or Type R's?

Silver Member
Username: James1115

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 591
I would go IDQ's,Kappa perfects,type r's. they are all good subs you wont be disapointed with either of them.

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 3188
SQ wise, I agree with James on that one. The IDQ is a fantastic SQ subwoofer, look at IASCA competitors, IDQs are probably the most widely used SQ sub out there. SPL, I'd lean more toward Type Rs.

"And my last question is, are 10" subs better than 12" subs for SQ?"

That depends on which ones you're comparing. IF you were to put the same motor structure on a 10" and a 12", the 10" would usually result in a little better response due to less moving mass. 12" and 15" subs aren't "slower" than 10" subs (it's a common misconception that people think), the problem is that their added mass is harder to control, and thus stop and change direction, so you typically have more overthrow with a heavier sub. A strong motor and well designed suspension solve these problems. I personally prefer 12s for all around SQ and bandwidth.

Doug W.
Unregistered guest
Ok thanx guys. I think i'm gonna go with 2 12" Image Dynamic IDQ's. The subs I had before this were 2 12" alpine type S subs. I was wondering, do the IDQ's have better SPL than the type S's? And i'm guessing that they definatly have better SQ than the type S's, am I right?

Silver Member

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 608
Yes they will have much more spl then the type s'. Also they will have a lot better SQ as well. You will be amazed if going from two type S' to teh IDQ's it will sound a great deal better.

Doug W.
Unregistered guest
Alright my last question I swear, on the Image Dynamics website it says that these subs should be in a sealed box with a volume of .65 - 1.00 cu.ft. So what size box would be optimum for these subs?

Silver Member

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 633
.85 is a very nice happy medium for them. I had a pair in a dual 12 .85cu/ft per side and it sounded very nice.

Doug W.
Unregistered guest
Isn't there something with the sub where if it is in a smaller encloser it has better SQ and if it is in a bigger enclosure it has better SPL or something like that?

Silver Member

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 643
well in a bigger enclosure it will lose responsiveness and gain depth. The amount of space we are talking about here though isnt enough to make much of a difference. If you put it in a 1.5cu/ft box yes it would play deeper but not be nearly as punchy. .85 is really optimal for that sub but you can go anywhere from .65-1.0 so its your decision man.

Doug W.
Unregistered guest
OK sorry this is the last question for real this time I swear. Are the IDQ's really worth the extra almost $100 compared to the ID's? I'm gonna be running them off of a JBL BP600.1 amp in a sealed enclosure. Once again I'm looking for pure SQ

Silver Member

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 867
yes

Bronze Member
Username: Pologreen

San Antonio, Texas USA

Post Number: 25
Are you guys talking about IDQ V.2 OR V.3's?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us