SPL - Who has it?

Silver Member
Username: Lbeckner

Tulsa, Ok Usa

Post Number: 274
I was just wondering what the highest DB you guys have ever hit PERSONALLY and with what system.

Mine: two 15" L7's on a MTX 1501D = 152.

Not very good, but I am no pro either.

Silver Member
Username: Taylor17

Kopperl, Texas

Post Number: 446
My system doesn't pound, but it hit's like around the 130 mark.
2 10 inch hx2's with the Rockford P8002. I'm in the process of upgrading, I bought the system, because I was on a budget. I Don't think it sound's half bad for a budget system.

On the other hand, I've sat in a guy's truck who had an unbelieveable system. Don't know the exact db, but it was close to 160 I think! When he turned it up, it actually took your breath away! It was like someone was squeezing your whole body.
This was in a Ranger single cab.
4 audiobahn 12's with 1000 watt's to each sub. The funny thing is, he was going to add another 2 12's in his truck.
I know audiobahn isn't the best, but that was the loudest truck I've seen around heer.

Silver Member
Username: Invain

Michigan United States

Post Number: 536
Not very good? Are you crazy Lucas. 152 is pretty darn good to begin with, let alone all your running is the 1501D. Your getting 152 out of 1000 watts, 1500 at 14 volts, it'd say that's not bad.

Silver Member
Username: James1115

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 656
yeah I am going to have to agree with Joe on that one but one question who did that reading? were your windows up or down?

Silver Member

Tulsa, Ok Usa

Post Number: 278
The reading was on an old mic not the new kind that they use. I think it was louder with the windows down. I just want it louder so im going to add another 1501d. Unfortunately 200 amp alternator is the biggest I can find. I want it to feel like a hard punch in the back. I WANT LOUDER. Any suggestions?

Silver Member
Username: Hdubb

Farmington, Nm Usa

Post Number: 654
i think "someone" started this thread to brag.....

i hit 138 with my single 12, not enough power, though, going to go with a smaller box tuned higher with a little more wattage. i hope to break 145. no promises though

Silver Member

Tulsa, Ok Usa

Post Number: 279
not bragging. i expected my windows to flex or break. hunter you hope to hit 145 with one twelve!! If you can do that with one twelve then i should be able to do 148ish with one 15". Thats what i want. I heard of single 12"'s doing 150. Do i have the wrong subs? What will be louder?

Silver Member

Farmington, Nm Usa

Post Number: 655
its all the install, my friend. i higher tuned box...like 50 to 65 hertz, not too big of a box, im going to run 2.5 cubes. lots of sounddeadener, the right box. and you need the electrical system to be up to poar to draw full power. ive seen a single 12w7 hit 150 once, it was in a jeep larado.

Silver Member
Username: Zacdavis~

Post Number: 451
i do 189.645 db with 5 12"s in my vista cruiser station wagon, man, it slams hard.
btw, i have 7 DHD 1000watt amps

Silver Member

Tulsa, Ok Usa

Post Number: 280
WOW no way. You have a Vista Cruiser.

full-of-ish
Unregistered guest
hmm..189 you say...world record?? matter of fact shattered the world record??...now just how many alternators do you have?

Silver Member

Post Number: 453
lol :-)

Silver Member

Farmington, Nm Usa

Post Number: 657
you gotta love those dhds, they supply the right amount of heat to make system s hit, in fact mine can do tricks, i call it the "FLAMETHROWER" never seen an amp throw flames except this one. this one guy told me that his tru hammer was better then mine. i told him your full of sh!t and i hope you die.......i hate it when people dint know the quality of my stuff. any way this amp does 1000 WATTS at 24 v...o...l...t...s(voice trails off)189.19er aint too bad for dhd.

Silver Member

Kopperl, Texas

Post Number: 457
189 db's?
I think someone was dreaming!:-) lol

Silver Member

Tulsa, Ok Usa

Post Number: 281
Hunter why tune the box so high? mine is tuned at 28hz. should it be tuned higher? can you retune a box after it is already made?

Bronze Member
Username: Rick_mcfarland

Palm desert, Ca Usa

Post Number: 42
I hit 164db with 3 18" Ti Pros and 3 US Amps De3000.

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 3234
He was joking....lol. He does hold a world record, though. Lucas, you can shorten the port, but when you do that, you'll also make the net volume of the sub larger, so you'll have to find a compromise. For max SPL you need to tune near the resonant frequency of the cabin, typically in the 60s-70s. 28hz is a very good SQ tune, and if you're happy with that, then stick with it. If you want more SPL while still having respectable SQ, mid 30s will do well. Once you approach 40s and above it gets more one-notish and boomy sounding. The reason people tune higher is because it results in higher SPLs, due to both cabin gain and the fact that less power and excursion is required to produce the SPL at that frequency.

Anonymous

I hit 148 with my two 12 inch sony xplods hooked up to my 300 watt xplod amp. in a 3.5 cu. ft. ported box.

Silver Member

Tulsa, Ok Usa

Post Number: 291
Thanks Johnathan. One more question if you don't mind. My box has a center divided and each chamber has its own port. What effects would it have if I took out the center divider?

148 with 2 sony explode 12's? Imagine what I could do with 3!!!!!

Silver Member

Kopperl, Texas

Post Number: 463
He hold's a world record... where can I check this out! And what system was he running?
That's cool, I've talked to a world record holder!:-)

Silver Member

Michigan United States

Post Number: 583
Actually, I remembered hearing that somebody on this forum had a world record, I just forgot who it was.

Silver Member

Michigan United States

Post Number: 584
Hey Zac, what were you running, and what did you hit?

Unregistered guest
Where can I get whatever measures db? i own 2 pawnshops and think it would be fun to measure the "frankenstiein" systems i sell (or sold) to customers.

Silver Member

Farmington, Nm Usa

Post Number: 675
radioshack sell them. they only go up to 127 dbs i believe. good ones cost thousands of dollars.

Silver Member

Tulsa, Ok Usa

Post Number: 293
i thought the radio shack one went up to 135. it is a handheld unit.

Silver Member

Kopperl, Texas

Post Number: 480
I think it is 127, that would explaine why I can't git louder than 127!

Silver Member

Post Number: 457
RadioShack's meter goes up to 135.
The official meter of USACi, DB Drag, MECA, and SLAP is the "TermLab" sound pressure level sensor.
It can be purchased for around $600 from Wayne Harris at www.termpro.com
I have one, works very well and is very consistent.

(btw, I used DigitalDesigns 9512's with MMats 3000.05's at world finals this year, did a little over 160 for first place. There was some confusion as too wether or not I was over qualified for superstock since I owned a shop, so I have since switched to pro stock. Although I am the current World Champion in 901-1800 SuperStock, I have relinquished my record in the superstock class for this reason. This was my first year competing and it was apparent I had a slight edge, the previous record was 151 and I posted a 157.8.
So, I have now began running 0-1000 pro stock, three weeks ago I ran it in Mempis TN and posted a 159.5.
At this years finals 157.2 won that class, so my 159.5 isnt so bad. In the first week of march I will be at S. Padre Island Spring Break Jam attempting another world record, this one in Pro Stock wish me luck.
btw, world records are set with a B&K microphone set in the legal position sealed on the dash, any other time vehicles are metered in the kick panel outlaw/door or window open. That is why world record numbers are lower than outlaw numbers)

Silver Member

Kopperl, Texas

Post Number: 486
What's the date for Padre, me and a few bud's are thinking of taking a trip down there for the party!:-)

Gold Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 1076
must be the new radio shack digital spl meter because i have one from last year or so and it only goes up to 126 db after that your done

Gold Member

Post Number: 1077
hey zac did you get a new system installed since your stuff was stolen? Also how did thing come out conecrning that and the shop?

Silver Member

Post Number: 460
actually i found three of the mmats amps on the streets and as far as the shop i had no insurance so it really hurt the business. the guy who broke in here murdered a guy on the other side of town last week. before that i was thinking about going to whoop his azz since the cops couldnt arrest him for breaking into the shop, but now i'm glad i didnt, i could've gotten shot.
anywho, nice to see your still around here. ttyl bro

Gold Member

Post Number: 1082
Glad you didnt go after him as well. I pray right now that the business will prosper once again dispite your misfortune. Peace bro

Bronze Member
Username: Rob315

Cuse, NY U.S.

Post Number: 100
2 12" type r(1241d)
2 MRD M501
1 MRV F340
1 MRV T320
MB Quart DKE 116
Alpine SPR 176A
2 7.2" phoenix digital LCD's
« Previous Thread Next Thread »