Check this Question...anyone know?

Username: Suleman36

Post Number: 7
Hey I have 2 12w6v2's in a sealed jl box powered by a PPI PCX 2200 amplifier thats rated 400x2 rms at 2 ohms. Sounds good in the trunk of my car for now. BUT NOW what i wanna do is start over and use my 2 JL 500/1 amps and upgrade to 2 JL10W7's. What do you all think about the differance in SQ and SPL that ill be getting in the new setup? and what kinda box should put the 10w7's in? What do you all reccomend for my JL setup. Thanks

Silver Member
Username: Invain

Michigan United States

Post Number: 531
I'm sure you'll notice a difference in both. And the type of box depends on what your after spl or sq wise.

Post Number: 10
Im mostly listen to rap and rock and harder hitting stuff so what do you think whould sound better..probably the w7s huh..

Silver Member

Michigan United States

Post Number: 534
Yeah.

Silver Member

Michigan United States

Post Number: 538
I'm not sure if you'd get everything you'd want out of the W7's with the 500/1's, but I'm sure the sq would be better with the W7's. You might notice a difference in sound going from 12's to 10's, but I don't know how noticeable it would be.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
well joe, keep in mind that the 10w7's are 500rms each and not like 750rms like the 12w7. that 500/1 jl amp is underated anyways. What do you think now

Silver Member
Username: James1115

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 650
go with the 12w6's with a 500/1 to each.

Silver Member

Michigan United States

Post Number: 540
Yeah. I forgot the 10's are rated less. I would definitely go with the W7's then.

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 3212
A lot of people regard the W6v2s as a better SQ sub than the W7, but it's personal opinion. A lot of competitors use the W6v2s as their choice of SQ subwoofer. Both of them are great. Personally, for an all around SQL type of system with the amps you're planning to use, I'd go with 2 13W6v2s with a 500/1 each, in a ported box tuned in the low to mid 30s. It'll take up more space, but they'll also outdisplace and thus hit harder than 2 10W7s, plus get lower than the 10W7s and still retain excellent SQ.

Unregistered guest
medium sealed box if sound quality and ported if you like loud nasty spl

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
Jonathan you sound like you have some experience with these subs. So the 2 13w6v2's will sound better and hit lower then the 2 JL10w7's. Both the 13w6v2's and the 10w7's are 500rms each and i whould imagine the 10w7's to have more spl if they are in a sealed box.

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 3218
Actually the 13W6v2s would hit harder, regardless of enclosure used. The price is close between the two as well. "Sound better" is entirely subjective, but I like the SQ of the W6v2s, they're a tad less boomy than a W7 tends to sound and are really just as, if not more, accurate. The 13W6v2 has over 40% more surface area than a 10W7, and just a slightly lower X-max. Car Audio and Electronics magazine has reviewed both the 10W7 and the 12W6v2, and actually gave higher ratings SQ wise to the 12W6v2, regarding it as "the best sounding subwoofer that I have tested for CA&E". Just because a subwoofer is dubbed the "flagship" and is the most expensive doesn't necessarily mean it is the best for you, similar to the reason that competitors often choose subs such as Image Dynamics IDQs and JL W3s over the more expensive subs. It's not that they can't afford better subs, it's because it matches their application the best. You can read both reviews here and choose based on the differences
http://caraudiomag.com/testreports/0403cae_jlaudio/
http://caraudiomag.com/testreports/0210cae_jla/
You can also see that the 10W7 and 12W6v2 performed similarly in SPL (12W6v2 slightly lower, but not by a lot, under 1db at all points, making a difference that is almost inaudible), and the 13W6v2 will outperform the 10W7 since it has higher surface area and increased excursion over the 12W6v2. If you're not happy with the SQ of your W6v2s, then you may want to consider subs like the Image Dynamics ID Max, Eclipse Titanium, and Adire Audio Brahma. They offer a "tighter" sound IMO, the SQ and SPL of them is excellent.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 16
OK sounds good.I already read the article about the 12w6v2's which is why i bought them. However i want the most ideal subwoofer for my 2 JL 500/1's. I rather stay with JL to be honest with you. Having said that, It looks like the 13w6v2's whould be the one. What do you think and if so what is the best box to put them in. I have a toyota camry 97. keep that in mind. Thanks

Bronze Member

Post Number: 17
jonathan what do you think?

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 3222
Honestly I think you're comparing apples to apples to apples. The output ability will go to the 13W6v2, but really they're so close to each other that I personally don't think it's worth spending all that money to upgrade them (unless you got them somewhere like Tweeter where you have a 3 year upgrade plan and just pay the difference). Assuming the same enclosure for each sub side by side, the difference in each is negligible, as in don't expect dramatic changes. The first thing I'd consider would be building the JL recommended slot ported box for the two 12W6v2s you have, and put a 500/1 on each of those. You'll see around a 6db or more increase from that alone if you're currently running sealed. Can't remember the exact dimensions of a 97 Camry trunk, but it would be a tight fit. The 12W6v2s can handle a 500/1 no problem, especially ported. They're well underrated.

Silver Member

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 659
I coudnt agree with Jonathan more. Thats what I was trying to tell you before but I guess it takes hearing from someone of his stature to listen(lolol)

Bronze Member

Post Number: 18
Ok thanks for all your feedback Jonathan and James. I actually bought the subs at a myer emco which is sort of like tweeter and they do the upgrade thing for up to a year or more. So i as long as i upgrade they can do it and the price differance shouldnt be to much. But i think im gonna probably have them build a slot ported box for the subs like you said. I also heard good things about the subzone enclosures. They make an exact box for the 12w6v2's at http://www.subzoneusa.com/2004_zv-series.htm and its model ZV212-1538. They build them to JL12w6v2's.

Silver Member

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 661
yeah those boxes seem to be tuned a tad high. Are you sure that is the recomended size port JL says to use.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 20
I emailed the guy from the contact of the site> he replyed saying that it was the ideal box for them. "the recommended box for those speakers is a ZV212-1538. Thank you for choosing our boxes" so yeah. On the jl website if you look at the 12w6v2 specs and all it looks close. YOur saying its tuned to high huh. what do you think

Silver Member

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 665
I dont know I mean if thats what JL recomends then I guess thats it. I just think that is tuned quite high for that sub especially when it is capable of hitting notes much lower then that. I wouldnt go using any bass cd's with that enclosure.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 21
really? so it whouldnt sound good at lower freq. with that setting? I mostly listen to rap and heavy stuff anyways. You think i should have one built at the myer emco shop like that or go with that. From what ive read it sounds good but i guess your saying it sounds high.

Silver Member

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 666
ask Jonathan he would know more on the specs of that box I am sure. I have a 12w6v2 but I have it in a sealed enclosure. It gets very deep so I believe that 38htz is a little high but I could be wrong. Typically you want to tune a box around 28-32 for a daily driver application because anything lower than the tuned frequency can damage your speaker. In competition they tune the box to like 55 or 60. It will play very loud at the tuned frequency but anything lower can cause damage.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 22
Right now i have 2 12w6v2's in a jl sealed box. The enclosure subzone sells is vented and its set to 38 but they also make one thats set to 30

Silver Member

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 669
I would get the one that is set to 30 but again I hope Jonathan reads this and can offer a little more to this.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 23
Well the one thats set to 30 is using 2.00 cubic ft. and the one thats 38 is using 1.5 cu.ft. which jl recommends. http://www.jlaudio.com/subwoofers/12w6v2.html

Bronze Member

Post Number: 28
anyone else reading this now about whats good for the vented enclosure for 2 jl12w6v2's

Silver Member

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 688
I wouldnt go with that one. call JL (954) 443-1100 they will tell you what to do.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 30
cool

Username: Mkopp2006

Post Number: 1
ya i need to know where to buy fiberglass to build my own custom box for a supra

i have 2 reaudio triple x 15"
2 7" tvs

i also need 2 very powerful amps any suggestions??
mkopp2006@yahoo.com
i want a dome that goes inward if some one has blueprints sent to mkopp2006@yahoo.com

Bronze Member

Post Number: 41
jonathan could you give me more info of where to have a jl recommended slot ported built or go with the http://www.subzoneusa.com/12_zv_series.htm model ZV212-1538 ?

Silver Member

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 723
Hey mo your best bet is to call your nearest local JL dealer and see if they have one laying around for sale or that they can build you because you cant buy the box from JL they come pre-loaded so maybe someone bought the sub and not the box from them.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us