ONE CHANNEL AMP AND TWO SUBS....NOW WHAT?

Username: Neophyte

Post Number: 2
I just bought (2) AUDIOBAHN AW1251Q AW1251T subwoofers:
SPEAKERS
Power Handling: 400 watts R.M.S. Frequency
2" 4-Layer ASV Voice Coil
Dual 4 Ohm 2 Ohm or 8 Ohm Operation

Also a BOSS R850 850 Watt MOSFET Power Car Amp:
AMP
Max power @ 2 Ohms - 850 Watts x 1
RMS Power @ 4 Ohms - 200 Watts x 1
RMS Power @ 2 Ohms - 400 Watts x 1
Remote Subwoofer Level Control
Line out for multiple amp hook ups
Variable low pass crossover: 50Hz-250Hz @224db/octave
Variable subsonic filter: 10Hz-40Hz @24dB/Octave
Phase Switch
Mosfet Amp
Class A/B

Q: Did I make a major mistake, or can I drive these 2 speaqkers with a one channel amp. If so, how do I wire the one channel to the speakers so I that I don't blow anything up?

Any help would be appreciated.

Tim L.
Unregistered guest
your amp doesn't really match your subs perfectly.. the only way i can see you hooking this up, is wire the DVC subs each in SERIES, and then wire them to the amp in PARALLEL, so that you have two subs wired to a SINGLE 4 ohm channel, getting 200 watts RMS.. if you had gotten the 2ohm voice coil subs, if there were any offered, you could have had the two subs at a single 2 ohm load to the amp..

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

Post Number: 1115
you should have bought two single coil 4 Ohm subs for a mono 2 Ohm stable amplifier.

I take it you're not asking for commentary on your choice in equipment brands though.

Tim L.
Unregistered guest
actually, as a more complicated option, you can wire ONE sub in parallel to 2 ohm and the OTHER sub in series to 8 ohm, then wire them to your amp and that would be a 1.6 ohm load.. that's CLOSE to 2 ohm.. and you'd get 400 watts rms+, the only thing is, you then wouldn't want to turn up your volume all the way because in the upper ranges of power your amp would DISTORT and could ruin your subs' voice coils..

but with what you've got, the 4 ohm load setup is the SAFER one where you're not in danger or blowing anything up.. in the second setup, the extra 200 watts RMS would only be a difference of 3 DBs louder..

Gold Member

Post Number: 1117
It's a Boss amplifier.
I'd be surprised if it handled a 2 Ohm load well.
a 1.6 Ohm load would send that amplifier into protection mode, if he's lucky.
The amp would set fire to teh trunk of his car if he's more on par with the average Boss product.

Tim L.
Unregistered guest
200 watts it IS!! =P haha

Anonymous

Whoa, Neophyte!! If I wanted to see pictures of shi t, i would have taken a couple of turds out of my toilet and used a whole role of film on them. Thanks for the laugh though. Do you have any other pics of pathetic crap?

Anonymous

On that note, should I start posting some pictures of my awesome Pyramid and Sony products?

Username: Neophyte

Post Number: 3
Thanks Tim L and GlassWolf for all the advice and suggestions. As for Anonymous, I'll just consider the source of the opinions. I now realize I should have done a little more homework before buying.....lesson learned. The pictures were for reference only....didn't know if they might be helpful or not.

How about hooking up one sub and selling the other....would this simplify hook up and are the configurations compatable?

P.S. Another pic for anon.....anon

Gold Member

Post Number: 1122
just wire them as a 4 Ohm load.
that's your best bet with what you have.
you'll get the same output in SPL with two subs @ 4 Ohms, or one @ 2 Ohms.

Tim L.
Unregistered guest
as Wolf said, configurations ARE compatible for 1 sub.. you can wire the voice coils in parallel to get a 2 ohm load, which would be PERFECT for ur amp's 400 watts RMS.. =P..

but i would wire the two subs for the 4 ohm load.. just to let you know, i have two 4 ohm DVCs and that is the way i chose to wire them to my amp bridged to one channel..

good luck.. =P

for the record, i liked the addition of the pics.. made the initial post less boring.. =P

Tim L.
Unregistered guest
as Wolf said, configurations ARE compatible for 1 sub.. you can wire the voice coils in parallel to get a 2 ohm load, which would be PERFECT for ur amp's 400 watts RMS.. =P..

but i would wire the two subs for the 4 ohm load.. just to let you know, i have two 4 ohm DVCs and that is the way i chose to wire them to my amp bridged to one channel..

good luck.. =P

for the record, i liked the addition of the pics.. made the initial post less boring.. =P

Tim L.
Unregistered guest

good luck.. =P

Anonymous

GlassWolf, Tim L.

This is Neophyte.....can't access my account.

Thanks again guys. I have been doing some reading about ohms law....very slowly starting to make some sense. BTW this is a Dad trying to help his son....first car, first system and very limited funds. He is paying for everything. He bought the amp and subs before either of us had a clue. This is a great forum and I have newfound respect for you audiofiles. I sure I will be back soon.

Remember...the only dumb question is the one that isn't asked.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1142
http://www.bcae1.com/ohm.htm
this site will help.
http://www.bcae1.com/
this is the entire site.

Username: N30

Post Number: 2
Glass,

Neophyte here again....don't know why I cant access that account...so I registered again.

Thank you, I've been to that site...found it under another thread you replied to. I've been preoccupied lately researching and have found many quality sites thanks to this forum.

Username: N30

Post Number: 3
If I knew then what I know now......=)

Tim L.
Unregistered guest
awwwww, a FATHER-SON BONDING thing!!.. NICE

Anonymous

neophyte.....I'll sell you a boss r1400d amp that will do better on those subs than the amp you have....i had it on a solobaric 12 and it sounded pretty good....

Make me an offer...email me
southern_rebel_inla@yahoo.com
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us