Sony XPLOD Subs Question (PLEASE Help)

Anonymous

I am going to be purchasing a system for my SUV this weekend. I am on a budget of about $850 and that includes installation costs. For now I am interested in adding the following...

12" Subs (QTY: 2 or 3) 350 Watts RMS or more
Class "D" Mono Sub Amp (With Remote Bass Control)
Sub Enclosure (Hopefully Bandpass)
Farad Capacitor (Improving Sound Quality)
Wiring & Installation

Now...

First of all I think a bandpass enclosure would be best based on looks in my opinion, if not going for a full custom fiberglass look. Also I don't want the speakers damaged if I put something in the back of the car. And I hear it gives deeper bass but with less accuracy..

I am keeping my factory HU and 6 speakers for now it gives great sound, plus I didn't want the added costs of harness kits and adaptors for my door chime, which would run over $100 by itself.

I am interested in adding bass and hopefully as much as possible on this budget. I would like an even balance of SQ/SPL.. Being heard down the block would be nice at times. Rattling my insides would be pleasant as well.. :-)

Something that is good for Rock as well as Hip-Hop would be perfect..

Am I way off in obtaining any of this on this type of cash flow?

I was looking at the Sony Xplod 12" 1200 Watt Peak / 350 Watts RMS subs. 2 or 3 of them, will get them new from a reputable store for only $40 each with full warranty. I have researched and they go for about $85 - $90 everywhere else. So I would save money there I guess.. Problem is I read they are built for small sealed enclosures.. what would happen in a bandpass situation?

About the Amp.. Will I need about 500 Watts RMS? I read it's best to run a little more RMS than your subs rate at.. Under powering will cause muddy sound and or distortion?

Anyhow.. Looking at Sony, AudioBahn, MTX, ect.. ect.. Just would like a good amp as stated above in my wish list.. I am pricing these at about $350 for the ones I have mentioned.. This would be for one amp..

So can anyone give me some advice on these subs, amps, ect.. I need to choose what I will buy, and I am losing my mind trying to come up with the right combo.. I have heard a mixed bag on the XPLODS.. Some love it, some hate it.. Seen car shows like the XPLOD cars and the Circuit City car.. I now they are a combined effort of Sony and Crutchfield.. I have never hear them..

I just want to know whats going to get me a high DB level, decent sound quality, and everything I need above for $850

Sorry to be winded.. I hope some of you can suggest some things.. or tell me if I am headed in the right direction..

Thanks...
Web

Anonymous

Skip the Sony period. Even people at Best Buy and Circuit City don't like the XPLODS. Go with 2 subs in a ported box. 2 for better wiring options, better subs for same price compared to 3. Ported because prefab bandpass sucks. I prefer sealed, but I think you'd prefer sealed. Since you're having it done, see what's available. You could end up with a decent Alpine or Kicker setup from normal stores, but depending on what they carry in your area you could get something not as mainstream.

Just a thought - one good sub in a sealed box can be very nice.

Web
Unregistered guest
Thanks for the input. When I posted my original post it duplicated it. So this is actually a copy of my original thread. So please look for my original when replying so we can all be on the same page as far as updates go..

Thanks..
Web
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us