Fine Tuning System

Silver Member
Username: Solacedagony

New Jersey US

Post Number: 249
I put my 12" RE X.X.X in this weekend and it sounds great, but I tend to need to turn the bass on my HU up so that any relative amount of bass begins being audible. Then when I turn up the volume at all my horrendous stock speakers begin to rattle and make nasty sounds since there's too much bass trying to come through. Would I, at this point, be better off buying a better HU with a sub volume control or a component set and amp?
If either option would work, I'd like to get the new HU, so I can save some money for the components and whatnot later on.

Gold Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 1054
i would adjust your amp gain higher and bass boost accordingly so that you dont need to boost the bass from the headunit esp. since you used the term audible ...a rexxx shouldnt be hitting that weak

Gold Member

Post Number: 1055
also you can run what they call bass blockers on your factories to cut down the excess bass getting through

Silver Member

New Jersey US

Post Number: 251
The amp gain isn't used for adjusting the volume of the sub. It's used for matching the pre amp voltage of the HU to the amp. As well, bass blockers is a cheap way to cut the bass out of the speakers, I want a real solution.
The sub is audible and it does hit, but the balance that I want just isn't there. That's why I am thinking of getting an HU with sub pre outs and a sub adjustment, independent of the speakers.
I'm not throwing your ideas out either, I do appreciate the help. That's just my take on the situation.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1057
I know that the gain isnt for adjusting the volume. I just figured you didnt have it set right. I have made a 3 db increase setting the gains right on an amp already using and spl meter.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1058
ps...I also recommended the bass blockers as a cheap alternative but an amp for them would prob be best then replacements (seperates)

Silver Member

New Jersey US

Post Number: 253
Yea, I definately want to get a set of seperates and an amp, I just need to save up some money at the moment, so I have to wait some time until I can afford more equipment. I was considering purchasing an Eclipse 8454 HU.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1062
sweet eclipse makes some nice headunits plus they are usually 8 volts preout

Bronze Member
Username: Tdeaton1021

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 54
if your running a stock HU then u definetly need a new HU... stock HUs only have bass adjustments not subwoofer... if you turn up the bass it will sound like sht... if you turn up the subwoofer level then it only turns up the sub not speakers... also when u turn the bass up it makes your sub sound different... and worse at that... my friend did it to my subs i used to have one time... i thought i blew them until i check the HU settings and found they turned up the bass insted of the sub...

Silver Member

New Jersey US

Post Number: 254
It's not a stock HU. It's a midline JVC.
Also sean, I put my gain up some and reset my lowpass, highpass, and it made a huge difference. As well, I enabled the Loud option on my HU. The sound is a lot clearer and more powerful. Thanks for the advice.

Silver Member
Username: Jmloughrey

Farmington, CT

Post Number: 929
woah, loud option on headunits dont usually do good. Didnt realize my mom clicked it on in my clarion one day, buoght 5 minutes later i smelled burning voice coil...so i'd be extremly carful with that "loud setting"

Silver Member

New Jersey US

Post Number: 255
I don't play my system all that loud as it is, except for those select moments. As far as I know, all "Loud" does is boost your highs/lows and scoop the mids, is that right? Thanks for the caution! I'll double check everything with the loud off to see the difference.

Silver Member
Username: Invain

Michigan United States

Post Number: 431
Yeah. The "loud" kinda evens out the frequency curve. It ups the volume on the very low and the very high's, to even the audible volume out with the mids.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us