Diffrence in ohms

Username: Tekchief86

Post Number: 1
hey, whats up im kinda new to all this so i was just wondering what is the diffrence between 2-ohms and 4-ohms?? ----- and what kind of subs should i get if i have a Jeep grand cherokee and a 2000watt legacy amp with bass knob.?

Silver Member
Username: Taylor17

Kopperl, Texas

Post Number: 370
Ohm's have nothing to do with the performance of the sub. They have to do with how much power your amp put's out. Out of a 2 ohm sub, or a 4 ohm sub, the 2 ohm will git more power out of the same amp.

Silver Member

Kopperl, Texas

Post Number: 371
As for sub's, what size do you want, how minny do you want, and how much money do you plan on spinding?

Anonymous

What model? (My usual question)Budget? Do you want Sound Quality(SQ) or Loudness(SPL)? How much space are you will to give up. You can build a huge box for a Grand Cherokee if you wanted.
Ohm rating is all about wiring options.

If a sub is SVC (single voice coil) 4ohm, your amp will put out its rating @ 4ohms .
If you take 2 SVC 4ohm subs, you can wire in parallel for a 2 ohm load.
If the subs are DVC (dual voice coil)then you can do the same thing with the voice coils.
A DVC sub with 2ohm voice coils, could have the voice coils wired in series for a 4 ohm load.
Number of subs, number of voice coils, ohm rating for the voice coil will determine the final ohm load presented to the amp.
The amp will put out what its rated watts(hopefully) at that ohm load. All amps are not stable at lower ohm ratings like 1 ohm.

Silver Member

Kopperl, Texas

Post Number: 374
And Legacy aren't known for there amp's!

Silver Member
Username: Jmloughrey

Farmington, CT

Post Number: 911
...is legacy known for anything...

(please refrain from something to the effect of "yea cr@ppy stuff"...)

Username: Tekchief86

Post Number: 2
i want 12's anywhere from 2 to 4 and want to have a nice sealed non-ported box. and yes legacy does have amps http://www.electronixwarehouse.com/graphics/sgl-prod/amps/legacy/blue-diamond-sp .GIF
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us