Need alternator advice!!

Username: Dobaryder

Cocoa, Florida U.s.

Post Number: 3
running 4 amps about 2000w power,have
two batteries & power cap my alternator is i think 70 amps will a 114amp from the parts store make a difference w/my power issues???

Silver Member
Username: James1115

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 439
no with that kind of power you nead atleast 180-200.

Silver Member
Username: Lbeckner

Tulsa, Ok Usa

Post Number: 254
an extra 44 amps sure would help, but bigger would be better. you should be able to find a 200 amp alternator on ebay for around $200. I have 2200 watts and my 130 amp alternator isn't enuff.

Bronze Member
Username: Sancho886

El Cajon, CA US

Post Number: 74
yeah get as big of an alternator as you can afford. i have 2000 watts and my 170amp alt is not enough.

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 1332
Keep this in mind, as you go close to 2000W rms and above, the speaker terminals on your amp will be carrying high voltage. Be careful as not to short them out. It will cause major spark/burn.
Treat it with caution, same way you deal with power wires.

Silver Member
Username: Lbeckner

Tulsa, Ok Usa

Post Number: 262
Roger O,
How much more alternator do you think you need? I was wanting to upgrade, but not sure if 200 amp will be enuff. thanks.

Bronze Member
Username: Mrdark

Post Number: 51
can you basically use any ho alt on your car, just as long as it fits the brackets and belts and so forth?

Silver Member
Username: James1115

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 566
yup. But you have to remember that if you are running a 2000 watt system with 2 guage wire your alternator is grounded with 8-10 guage wire. If you change your alternator to make up for that amount of power you must reground your alternator,Battery,and engine block ground to sufficiantly make up the power.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us