Did i break my sub?

Silver Member
Username: Rzarector

Coquitlam, Bc Canada

Post Number: 181
i had my sub cranked today 12" type r reciecing 500 watts
and it started making this horrible noise while the bass was hitting it sounded like the cone was rattling or vibrating against something? i thought it might be the sub vibrating against the box since i used weaker screws on 3 of the holes but would anything else cause this?>

Bronze Member
Username: Marley289

Post Number: 39
its possible that maybe a wire on the inside of your box got caught in there, hopefully its somethin like that, it sucks blowing a sub i know how it feels even tho thats not what happened when mine blew.

Silver Member
Username: Wojopro

Post Number: 153
That subs RMS rating is for 300watts. You probably clipped it to death IMO.

Silver Member

Coquitlam, Bc Canada

Post Number: 183
i should blow my other one too lol maybe i can get a set of the new ones cause its all under warrenty

Bronze Member
Username: Rob315

Syracuse, NY U.S.

Post Number: 19
500 watts shouldnt be enough to blow them even though the rms is 300.

Silver Member

Coquitlam, Bc Canada

Post Number: 184
yeh so ive herd so im wondering if its a defect cause ive only been using it for a few weeks

Bronze Member

Syracuse, NY U.S.

Post Number: 22
where did you get them from?

Bronze Member
Username: _andrew_

Post Number: 23
Tell me more. Notice any lights dimming when your bass hits since you installed the amp/sub?

Silver Member
Username: Solacedagony

New Jersey US

Post Number: 231
Did you set your gain correctly?

Silver Member
Username: Hdubb

Farmington, Nm Usa

Post Number: 488
did you break your subs in before cranking it up

Silver Member

Coquitlam, Bc Canada

Post Number: 186
i bought them from local a&b sound store
gains were from factory and all my stuff is aline so im asuming it was fine i did put the gain up one step tho maybe thats what screwed it up ima take it out tonight and see whats wrong with it. no i didnt break the subs in why wait

Username: Rick_mcfarland

Palm desert, Ca Usa

Post Number: 6
you probobly blew your sub. You should break them in before you pound them hard.

Silver Member

Coquitlam, Bc Canada

Post Number: 190
i took it out and couldnt see anything visibly wrong with it everything was still attatched so i dunno put it in tomorrow i guess and see what happens maybe it was a wire
also are subs suppose to have a horrible burning electronics smell when u take them out? lol

Bronze Member
Username: Marley289

Post Number: 52
lol thats probally not a good sign, but if they still dont work, then buy new ones, but with your next subs break them in before you crank it, just to be safe

Silver Member

Coquitlam, Bc Canada

Post Number: 192
no dude it works it just makes a rattling sound when the base hits .. like imagine your sub playing normally then add a horrible sounding rattle as it hits

Silver Member

Silverdale, WA

Post Number: 161
As I said before... You clipped your subs. It is never good to use more watts than recommended. Also try to get your gains set professionaly if possible. If not you can can adjust them by ear.

Bronze Member

Syracuse, NY U.S.

Post Number: 33
they should have a warranty if ya got them at a shop. f*ck it take em back and turn it up! haha

Silver Member

Silverdale, WA

Post Number: 163
Some shops wont if they were misused... IE:Clipping Hopefully they will for you though!!! Good luck.

Silver Member
Username: Audiophile

OFallon, MO USA

Post Number: 122
Sounds like they were over excurded(spelling?)...I did the same with my Infinity Kappa...but with 1000w to a 12" :D lol

Silver Member

Coquitlam, Bc Canada

Post Number: 194
doesnt matter i guess they told my not to worry about running the 12"s at 500 watts plus ive bought so much stuff off them im sure theyl take em back

Silver Member
Username: Audiophile

OFallon, MO USA

Post Number: 123
Just make sure you break in the new set. There's about a 4-8 month period where you shouldnt turn your subs up past about 3/4 volume...I wouldnt even go that far within the first 4 months...

Silver Member
Username: Hdubb

Farmington, Nm Usa

Post Number: 493
damn that is a long time. i ran my at low volumes for about 2-3 weeks.

Silver Member

Silverdale, WA

Post Number: 165
I still recommend keeping close to the recommended rms. Type R's are very bad against clipping. But thats my opinion! =) Im a Type R owner so I know what they are capable of!

Silver Member

Silverdale, WA

Post Number: 166
Alot of subs at some stores are broke in for you.

Anonymous

I think thats called buying used subs....

Anonymous

I think thats called buying used subs....

Bronze Member

Syracuse, NY U.S.

Post Number: 42
lol

Silver Member

Silverdale, WA

Post Number: 178
No at alot of stores they break them in for you... Not used. They get tired of tards blowing the subs the first day and get an exchange.

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 3085
Most problems of sub failure isn't because the sub isn't "broken in", it's because of install issues. If you have the gain set too high, a loose wire somewhere, the box isn't right, or the sub has a manufacturing defect, you'll screw up the sub regardless in the long run. The reason that they recommend going easy for a little while is so you can hear any issues and fix them before you damage the sub. There is no magic to breaking in a sub besides loosening the suspension and burning off a little excess glue, etc. Definately nothing that requires months of time to accomplish. All you're really doing is loosening up the surrounds and spider. Yes, IMO you should go easy for a little while and not go all out on a sub on it's first day in service, but you won't really screw a sub up by pushing it to full excursion UNLESS you clip the amp(and assuming it's a decent sub). Look at magazine reviews and articles on subs, the first thing they do is loosen the suspension by pushing the sub to high excursion free-air. Just like Stan said, you drove the amp into clipping. 500W RMS really isn't going to do a Type R any extra benefit, it can reach it's full potential with the 300W.

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 3086
By the way, another *important* reason that manufacturers recommend a break in period is that typically, speakers and subs don't sound there best when they are new, due to tight suspension and such. So, giving a designated break in time gives hope, and if they didn't do that, a lot of people would say "this sub sucks" and take it back.

Unregistered guest
dear jonathan,
I blew 2 of my subs too. Is that the term used when subs stop workin?

cuz the audio shop used a tester that looked like a screw driver with a wire on it(and a red light that flashed when it detects electricity) to test my amp, and my amp install actually "blew" their tester as well. Do you know what happened here?

My question is whether there's a way to test my amp installation myself without hooking up and risking blowing my new subs again?

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 3091
Voltmeter. Where is your gain set at?

Jason123
Unregistered guest
Dear Jonathan,
Thanx for your input.
I think I just "blew" my multimeter(the pin when back and forth rapidly and stopped at zero).
Was is because "Never use the ohm setting on a multimeter on live voltage. You will damage the meter?" Or was it my amp set up?
Will a mutimeter with "overload protection" prevent this from happening?

Your help is very much appreciated.

PS. What would happen if I ran a 2000+ RMS amp to a IDMAX 12 sealed?

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 3101
What was the scale set at on the meter? You shouldn't use the resistance setting with live voltage, you're right about that. Disconnect the speakers and test the voltage output of the amplifier that way. Always start at the highest scale on an analog voltmeter (DMMs don't have a scale), then work your way down if the scale isn't right. The ID Max doesn't need that much power and you risk damage to the coil if you put that power on it for an extended period of time. With an SPL burp would be different.

Silver Member

Coquitlam, Bc Canada

Post Number: 200
ha i brought my sub back and they cancelled the old type r im waiting for and they put in an order for the new type R's .. guess thats one thing better about buying retail u pay more but u get good service
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us