HELP: DVC 4-OHM INTO 2 CHANNEL AMP?

Username: Incucrash

Post Number: 1
Sup guys, I dont know how this all works, im pretty new to wiring. Can someone who knows a true answer guide me in the right direction?
I am waiting delivery for a Kicker CVR Dual 4 ohm subwoofer, 15", RMS 500 / PEAK 1000.
The amp I have now is:
Soundstorm V320.2 140W RMS x 2 @ 4 ohm, it says 2 ohm stable Stereo, its 640watt peak.

Can I use this amp to power the kicker SAFELY?
And how do I do that, Its one subwoofer, I want to bridge the amp, it has mosfet. I've read the amp will just fry or blow a fust, but will the subwoofer be safe? I could care less about the amplifier, I was going to buy a mono amplifier rated @500-550 RMSx1 @ 2 ohm. But is there a safe way to wire this setup up?
And, sorry for all the questions, Will the amp produce 560x1 @ 2 ohm RMS? (280x1 @ 4 ohm doubled = 560) correct?

I know I want to parallel wire the subwoofer into 2 ohm operation, (connecting one voice coil positive, other negative) correct?

Also: how should I wire that up? Connect neg+neg with speaker wire, and then splice into 1 negative and hook that into my subwoofer box terminal? and same thing for the positive?

Please email me @ incucrash@hotmail.com the answer, or AOL IM ME: vitaminmeth

I need an answer and tips\what to do.
THANKS!!!!
Today is Sunday: Feb. 8th, 2004.
I should have the system by Friday:
:-)
Thanks

Bronze Member
Username: Hydro

Post Number: 98
Steven you got a nice sub there and that amp will not let you hear how good it really sounds I would wait and get a real 500 watt amp instead of causing your sub damage by putting a sh1tty amount of power supply into it.Also note your sub is Dual 4 ohm meaning wiring it in parallel will give you a 2 ohm load but you cant bridge the amp if you have a 2 ohm load because almost all amps are unstable when bridged at 2 ohms or less.Your right with the parallel wiring.

Username: Incucrash

Post Number: 2
Okay, Thank you. I went ahead and ordered a Kicker DX-350 Mono (350x1 @ 2 ohms) Amplifier, Its all I could really afford at the moment, So I will wire into 2 ohm operation and it should get atleast 350 watts. I am wiring it with a 8 gauge amplifier kit, Is it true that alot of amplifiers push more RMS then they really are rated for? If so, How do I achieve this, because I really wish It was more like 400-450 into the subwoofer considering it can handle RMS of 500, I am also using 10-gauge 462 OFC strand speaker wire.

Should be good enough to bump the trunk :-) :-)

Everything is easier with a mono amplifier from a brand you can trust, Its worth the extra money. Kicker also has a tech support number on www.kicker.com for all you people in the position I was, they helped me out a little.

Currently waiting on the box for the sub, Cant wait,
Thanks for the help Hydro, and to Mike who IM'd Me.

Silver Member
Username: Hydro

Post Number: 111
NOt all almps put out more than they say Usually brands like Kicker,Rockford Fosgate,JBL,MTX,Memphis they all put out more than the specs actually say for instance I had a Kicker 800.1 mono amp rated at 800x1@ 2 ohms but on the birth certificate it was more like 950x1@2 ohms so you can bet that amp will put out at least 400x1 @2 ohms giving you plenty of bump in your trunk.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us