Need a little help narrowning down my list....

Bronze Member
Username: Tips

Post Number: 29
yea, ive built up a list of some of one of the subwoofers i can afford from some of the good subwoofer companies. what would you buy if u had to listen to one of thse selections for 3 years b4 you could upgrade and why? what would be the best DEAL?

1 Cerwin Vega VMX 12"DVC (84.99) ea.
1 alpine swr-1221D 12" (107.99)
2 Kicker Comp 55ea. ($110)
2 of Cerwin VegaVMX-10DVC 10" Subwoofer 53.30 ea. ($106)
1 12" adire shiva (119.95)
1 JL AUDIO 12W3-D2 12in Dual VC ($120)
1 Rockford Fosgate P312D2 12" ($125)
1 infinity kappa perfect 12.1 (129.99)
1 mtx thunder 8500 12" (129.99)
1 pioneer primier TS-W2000SPL ($107.19)
2 mtx thunder 8500 10" 80 ea. ($160)
2 Cerwin Vega VMX 12"DVC 84.99 ea. ($170)

ya i kno the list is kinda long... sorry.

Silver Member
Username: Invain

Michigan United States

Post Number: 318
It's gonna haev to be up to you. Their all pretty good for the price. Nothing horrible on your list. Nothing that would really stand out of the others either.

Silver Member
Username: Wojopro

Post Number: 135
Depends on what sound you are looking for. Where did you find the type R for that price??? Cheapest I found is 129.99.

Silver Member

Post Number: 137
bump

Silver Member

Post Number: 138
bump

Silver Member
Username: Jmloughrey

Farmington, CT

Post Number: 819
i would sya personally look at the vmax's or the shiva...or the MTX's would be tolerable...also where did you find the MTX thunder 8500's for that price?

Silver Member
Username: Jeremyc

Kunsan AfbSouth Korea

Post Number: 443
I would say
JL W3V2
Adire Shiva
or
Kicker comp vr

Silver Member
Username: Taylor17

Kopperl, Texas

Post Number: 135
Jl w3

Bronze Member

Post Number: 30
http://www.cardomain.com/item/MTXT81044A?ref=prgr
MTX $80 w/ shipping

http://www.soundmasterinc.com/alpine/subwoofer/swr-1241d.html
ALpine type R $118 w/ shipping

Silver Member
Username: Hdubb

Farmington, Nm Usa

Post Number: 368
shiva or comp vr. the shive has dual 8 ohm coils, that could be a problem. maybe adire will have them with dual 4 ohm coils some day. the v amx is a good too. but i like the shiva

Bronze Member

Post Number: 31
dont know if the sites are legitimate or trustworthy, but its worth a try.

also, which setup do you think you would be able to hear the farthest? what about the most bump in the car?

Silver Member

Farmington, Nm Usa

Post Number: 371
the shivas or the v max imo

Bronze Member

Post Number: 32
does it make a difference if the amp is the same model as the sub?

Silver Member

Farmington, Nm Usa

Post Number: 373
it might. it would seem that, that particuar amp was made for that sub, so it be set up perfect for it. im not sure though

Bronze Member

Post Number: 35
why does it make it hard if you have a dual 8 ohms? i dont know much aboout ohms. i think ohms measure resistance. is it the less ohms the more power?

Silver Member

Farmington, Nm Usa

Post Number: 376
yes. the thing is that the shiva can only wire to 4 or 8 ohms. it will takes a bigger amp to give it the power at 4 ohms. a 4 ohm load is twice as much resistance as a 2 ohm load. so half the power. but if you have two shiva that would wire down to 2 ohms. basically it is harder to utilize the full potential of your amp if it 2 ohm stable and you only have one shiva.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 36
yea... but i plan to eventually plan to buy another sub after like a year or 2...

i guess considering that shiva ohm thing in the mind, would it be better for me to get like a alpine type r, 1 Cerwin Vega VMX 12, or 1 JL AUDIO 12W3?

what would happen if i bought like a cheap 12" sub, and the shiva and wired them both to an amp... would that work?

Silver Member

Farmington, Nm Usa

Post Number: 381
well i guess its what you like. the v max will give you more spl then the type r, the type r will give you more sq then the v max. and to be honest i dont know anything about jl. as for the shiva thing i dont think that that would be a good idea, it would work but the cheap subs performance would make your system not sound as good if it was just 1 shiva with less power. i favor the shiva over all of them even with less power. what amp are you going to be running

Anonymous

the MTX 8500 Thunder 12" are nice, if you have a hhgregg's near you could probably let you listen to the MTX's, Infinity's, and Rockford Fosgate, and the kicker's could probably be heard at an electric express. These is where i heard them.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 37
yea, there's a car toys near me, but doesnt it make a bigg difference in the box size, and where the sub is located? i think the setup they have in stores isnt the same as it would sound in a car... i think. i dunno.

whats spl? (sorry, my mind went blank.) thats the thing, i plan to buy an amp after i buy the sub, that way i dont have to limit my sub options to my amp, but my amp options to the sub... how much would a good amp cost to handle one shiva? two shivas?

Silver Member

Farmington, Nm Usa

Post Number: 388
spl=sound pressure levels aka how loud it is. im not sure how much an amp would cost to power a shiva. it just needs to be around 300 watts rms at 4 ohms. for two a 600 watt amp at 2 ohms. it wont be too too much. that will be the same amp. if it will put out 300 at 4 it will do 600 at 2

Bronze Member

Post Number: 43
so what ure saying is that... if i buy a good amp for one sub, then when i add another sub to the amp, the resistance will go down... and it will still be the same power output? or will it... wait... im confused.

Silver Member

Farmington, Nm Usa

Post Number: 391
ok. usually an amp that puts out 300 watts at 4 ohms will put out 600 watts at 2 ohms. so if you get an amp that puts out 300watts rms at 4 ohms and hook your shiva to it it will be good. then if you get another shiva then you can run them both off the same amp at a 2 ohm load and then they will both get 300 watts rms. is that better. as long as the amp you get is at least 600 watts rms at 2 ohms then you should be fine.

Bronze Member
Username: D1slocate

Cary, NC US

Post Number: 46
Basically if you go with shivas, you might as well get two or you are blowing money on an amp.

If you only want one sub go with the alpine type r and get their m301 amp. That hits really good for one sub, it suprised me. You could always buy another of each.

I personally have 2 12" Cerwin Vega V-Maxes in a ported box powered by a Kicker kx 600.1 in an SUV and I wouldn't want louder. If you want to go ahead and jump up to 2 subs, I recommend that.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 44
i see... thats cool. also i typed in "shiva" and read some reviews. i couldnt find many on people who used them in their car... its seemed as if they used it for home theater use...

is this the right kind i should buy?
http://www.creativesound.ca/details.php?model=Shiva

also... this subwoofer will give me pounding and punchy bass 2... right?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 45
btw the way... i ONLY listen to rap/ hip=hop in my car...

Silver Member

Farmington, Nm Usa

Post Number: 395
they are actually for both. yes it will give you some punchy bass goodness. check out www.adireaudio.com and learn some more about it

Bronze Member

Post Number: 48
was this the right kind i should buy?
http://www.creativesound.ca/details.php?model=Shiva

Silver Member

Farmington, Nm Usa

Post Number: 396
yes the mark iv. its good stuff

Bronze Member

Post Number: 49
i think ill go with that then. thanx man, uve been tons of help. im gonna sleep. didnt get much last night. probably have some more question 2moro tho... c ya. btw, just wonderin, what system do you have?

Silver Member

Farmington, Nm Usa

Post Number: 398
i have a adire audio brahma 12 with a some ghetto lightning audio comps(im really poor...lol) with a kenwood deck and a blown amp.Im getting a audiobahn a8002t here in a min. i just need and amp to hold me over until i get a new sub. im looking at the RE MT. thats one badass sub. then im going to get 2 orion 1200ds and a boston acoustics comp set. not sure which ones yet.but soon enough. i built a box for the brahma. it barely fits in my trunk. dont laugh at my lightning audio...LOL

Bronze Member

Post Number: 50
damn. lol. well im really poor too, so its all good. how's the brahma? u get good bass from that? i dunno if i can really afford the shiva... but i really want it. lightning audio? is that cheap? does it sound descent? i might stick with that considering i dont have much money. i have like a 500-600 budget. im getting an alpine 927 ($250), pioneer 3way ($56), infinty 2way ($90) really soon. so that only leaves like 200-300 for the sub, sub box, and amp... :-(. lol.

audiobahnsucks
Unregistered guest
hey tips...if u have a little bit more than 300 left over, go to www.edesignaudio.com, buy their 13ov2 subwoofer and nine.2 amp...they have a package deal on there that is 365 if im not mistaken. damned good products...then just build your box.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 51
365... is a little too much. oh ya, im getting an alpine 9830, not a 927... whatever the hell that is... lol.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 52
ok, one more question...
alpine type 12" Type-R Series Subwoofer (4ohm + 4ohm) and its said its gets 500 rms.
so does that mean i should look for an amp that has at least 200rms by 4 ohms? or is that 2 little?

Silver Member

Farmington, Nm Usa

Post Number: 405
too little. see with a sub having 4+4 coils give you the option of wiring it at either 2 or 4 ohms. so if you wanted to give it 500 watts rms then look for an amp that will do 500 watts at two ohms or an amp that will do 500 at 4 ohms, which will be more exspensive, but may be needed if you want to run two subs. does that make sense?
basically if you wanted to run a single type r then find an amp that will do 500 watts rms. if you want to run two find an amp that will do 1000 watts rms. sound good?

Silver Member

Farmington, Nm Usa

Post Number: 408
my brahma is awesome to me. lightning audio is cheap but does the job for now. they sound ok for 4s and 6x9s for 70 bucks all together. well the shiva is 125 and an amp will be like 100 to 150 so you might need about 60 bucks for amp wiring kit, and mdf and the screws and liquid nail and wood glue. for a box if you want to build one.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 56
ok... so the alpine type 12" Type-R Series Subwoofer (2ohm + 2ohm) said its gets 500 rms. so i can wire it to either 2 or 1 ohms right?

what happens if i add another 4+4 subwoofer to an amp that is 500 watts at two ohms which is already running already running one 4+4 sub. how much power would they each get then? 250 at 4 ohms each?

Silver Member

Farmington, Nm Usa

Post Number: 411
with the 2+2 you can either wire it to 4 or 1` ohm. the 4+4 you can wire to either 2 ohms or i think 8 ohms(i told you the wrong ohms in the one of the threads above im sorry.). just do this. get the type r 2+2 either way. you can wire to 2 ohms by its self or if you get 2 of them then you can wire them to 4 ohms a piece and hook it up to your amp which will give 2 ohm load on your amp.ok? it is best to run the same impedence sud on the same amp. so i think the 2+2 would be good for you.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 57
ok cool.

i found an amp with the following....
Number of Channels: Mono
RMS Power (4 ohms): 200 watts x 1 ch.
RMS Power (2 ohms): 400 watts x 1 ch. approx.

so according to what i think i kno, i hook up one type-r 2+2 to the amp, it will get 400 watts?

Silver Member

Farmington, Nm Usa

Post Number: 418
YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. good stuff. run the sub pos to pos and neg to neg and you are set my friend. i think you got about 50 of your posts just in our conversation...lol

Silver Member

Farmington, Nm Usa

Post Number: 419
YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. good stuff. run the sub pos to pos and neg to neg and you are set my friend. i think you got about 50 of your posts just in our conversation...lol

Bronze Member

Post Number: 59
lol cool. glad i got that down. just one last question... lol. what happens if i add another type r 2+2 ?

Number of Channels: Mono
RMS Power (4 ohms): 200 watts x 1 ch.
RMS Power (2 ohms): 400 watts x 1 ch. approx.

+

Two 2+2 Alpine Type-R

=

how many watts rms to each subwoofer at how many ohms?

im guessing... 400 watts by 1 ohm? i dunno... arent some amps unstable at one ohm?

Silver Member

Farmington, Nm Usa

Post Number: 446
yes most amps are not 1 ohm stable, well if you want to run them both off of that same amp then you would have to rewire both of your subs to 4 ohms. that would give you a 2 ohm load on your amp giving you subs 200 watts each. i dont know if you meant three subs or not. i think if you got three you will need a bigger amp. even with 2 you will be underpowering them , but as long as you dont turn up your gains to make up for the underpowerment(if thats even a word) then you will be ok. if you do turn your amps gains up to high your amp will start to clip and ruin both your amp and your subs eventually. does that answer your q.?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 60
yea it does.
i found this amp.
300W x 1 RMS Output Power (4 Ohms)
450W x 1 RMS Output Power (2 Ohms)

one sub = 450 RMS ar 2 ohms
two subs = 300 rms each, right? thats not that much of an underpower is it? or should i look for more power?

Silver Member

Farmington, Nm Usa

Post Number: 448
no. since that is 450x1 @ 2ohms then it will get divided in half, it would be 225 to each sub. since there is 2 subs they share the power(450) between them. that make sense

Bronze Member

Post Number: 64
ah... ok. the world finally makes sense to me... is that still is 225 each underpowering them? o

Bronze Member

Post Number: 66
whats wrong with using a 2 channel amp instead of a mono? can i use a 2 channel amp to power a single subwoofer?

Silver Member
Username: Invain

Michigan United States

Post Number: 331
Nothing is wrong with it as long as either: the amp is bridgeable, or your sub is dvc, so you wire each voice coil to a channel.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 68
really.... so what happens if i connect an alpine type r (2+2)
to a amp that has:
75 W x 2 @ 4 Ohms RMS
150 W x 2 @ 2 Ohms RMS
250 W x 2 @ 1 Ohms RMS
300 W x 1 @ 4 Ohms Bridged RMS
500 W x 1 @ 2 Ohms Bridged RMS

one sub will get 500 watts bridged...
and
two subs will get...?

Silver Member

Farmington, Nm Usa

Post Number: 463
actually it will only get 300, because the 2+2 can only be wired down to 1 or 4 ohms. unless you made a typo and that is 1 ohm bridged instead of 2. i dont like this amp. wierd numbers at wierd ohms. but you would get150 watts each to two if you had this amp.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 71
damn, that sucks. 150 per sub? and 300 for one? the 4+4 can be wired to 2 ohms... so if i have one 4+4 it will be 500 watts bridged right?

if that works, then what happens if i had another 4+4? would it go down to 75 watts each?!

and what in the world does one 4+4 and one 2+2 wired down to?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 72
to the top

Silver Member

Farmington, Nm Usa

Post Number: 467
a 4+4 will only wire down to 8 and 2 ohms.
a 2+2 will only wire down to 4 and 1 ohm(s)

like i said that is a very "special" amp

Bronze Member

Post Number: 73
ok, so what happens if you use one 4+4 and one 2+2 together on the same amp...

lets say using the previous mono amp...

300W x 1 RMS Output Power (4 Ohms)
450W x 1 RMS Output Power (2 Ohms)

how much does each get?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 74
("and what in the world does one 4+4 and one 2+2 wire down to?"
yea... sorry i guess i didnt make myself too clear, i meant together on the same mono amp)
just answer my previous question (my post 73)

Silver Member

Farmington, Nm Usa

Post Number: 473
it would go...if you wired the 2+2 to 4 ohms and the4+4 to 2 ohms that would give you 3 ohms. if you wired the 2+2 to 1 ohm and the 4+4 to 2 ohms that would be around 1.5 if you went the 2+2 to 4 and the 4+4 to 8 then it would be a 6 ohm load. the rms output would be different because of the higher or lower impedence. if it was 3 ohms it would be 375x1 and 6 ohms would put out a lot lower of watts then at 4 ohms about 225x1. it is better to run the same impedence of subs across the amp though.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us