Power handeling on JL Components

Bronzed Auzzie
Unregistered guest
I am looking at buying a set of JL Audio XR653-CS 3-Way Components (top of JL range). I have acouple of questions...
1. Are they any good?

2. The are rated at 70w RMS. I believe they should be capable of handling much more but im not sure. im looking at 2 amplifiers to power them. one will give each 80w, the other 125w. Am I better off with more power - I dont want to blow them.

3. Will they be loud enough to keep up with 2 Image Dynamics ID max Subs, each recieving 800w RMS?

any one with some experience with them, it would be much appreciated if you could lend some advice. Cheers

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 3035
1) Yes. If you like the way they sound, then that's what matters. They're built very well and are well engineered components.
2)I've given the JL XRs (even the 2 ways) a 300/2 and they handled it with no problems. They're underrated.
3) Possibly, it depends on your tastes. The ID Maxes are loud, 2 especially. You'll likely have to turn the subs down a tad for the sound to be totally balanced, but that will apply for nearly any component set.

Bronze Member
Username: Aaaavv

Post Number: 16
whats youre personal oppinion of the jl xr650 2 ways. i bought two sets of them. i also bought a 450/4 jl amp. i havent had it put in yet. how do u think that 450/4 will work. i know its 150 by 2 and 75 by2. my concern is that the front set is gonna drown out the second set

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 3055
I like them, they're great for the price. The tweeter is a tad bright for my taste, but it's not as harsh as a lot of the metal domes out there. Mid is well balanced. With that amp and the 2 ways, the second set would def. be quieter, but remember doubling the power is approximately a 3db increase.

Silver Member
Username: Audiophile

OFallon, MO USA

Post Number: 115
hey jonathan, are you jonathan at Car audio Central, too?

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 3057
Yep, just joined not too long ago. Can't come up with creative names :-)

Silver Member
Username: Audiophile

OFallon, MO USA

Post Number: 116
Me too, I'm the same name there. :-)
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us