THX... what a joke!

Username: Jcw

Post Number: 1
So Ford/Lincoln has THX in their Navigator and LS series. Whoop-de-doo !!!

What does THX do actually? NOTHING! It doesn't manufacture SQUAT. It just lends its name to the highest bidder.

BOSE rules! THX tools.

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 7422
THX is simply a certification process. Nothing more.

you actually like bose?

www.thx.com if you actually want some education on what THX really is.

Big D
Unregistered guest
John, you are a fool. This is a hi-fi board, Bose is an embarassment to the Audio world.

eddie
Unregistered guest
While I do not agree that Bose is an embarrassment (some systems are good) it isn't anything to crow about either.

Likewise, THX is nothing to crow about either. A certification process? big deal. It means nothing special. As the original poster said "its not like they make anything".

THX, which once stood for something in the MOVIE industry is pretty much a joke these days. It is indeed pretty much a marketing gimmick. I defy anyone to explain to me what "value" they really bring to anything.

eddie
Unregistered guest
While I do not agree that Bose is an embarrassment (some systems are good) it isn't anything to crow about either.

Likewise, THX is nothing to crow about either. A certification process? big deal. It means nothing special. As the original poster said "its not like they make anything".

THX, which once stood for something in the MOVIE industry is pretty much a joke these days. It is indeed pretty much a marketing gimmick. I defy anyone to explain to me what "value" they really bring to anything.

Bronze Member
Username: Touche6784

Post Number: 87
aww come on, leave the newbie alone. so what he doesn't know a damn thing about audio, you guys at one point didn't know squat either. eddie, bose does suck. you will find that you are in a very small minority of audio enthusiasts/audiophiles that think bose makes good products. but i will agree that THX is really a marketing gimmick. but thats strange that you don't believe in THX as a marketing gimmick and yet you like Bose which uses some of the most marketing gimmicks in the industry.

Bronze Member
Username: Touche6784

Post Number: 88
oh and try this for some bs. bose has actually designed their own suspension system. they use electromagnetics with their uberpowerful amps powering them. i guess mercedes and ferarri should ask bose to not only screw up their car stereos but also their car suspensions. wonder what they will try to do next, build a space shuttle.

Bronze Member
Username: Shouder

Wisconsin

Post Number: 82
I've never heard that bose is so bad. I've only had good experiences with them. Although then again i don't know why this conversation is in the car audio section. The only bose systems that i've heard of in car stereos is like those stock systems found in rx-7s and the newer high end cars. When it comes to car audio i agree with you there, i would never dream about putting bose in a car.

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 3030
http://www.intellexual.net/bose.html
That's why Bose sucks, I couldn't say it any better. I'm not a big fan of THX, but like Glass says, it's a certification process, and also a powerful tool for marketing. If speakers are THX certified, they've met a lot of very strict requirements, it's not necessarily useless, it's just overrated IMO. If a speaker fails THX certification, you can bet they're crappy speakers.

not_a_fan
Unregistered guest
Just because a speaker is not THX Certified doesn't mean that it isn't good. Quite the contrary. It is only the medium quality speaker companies that go for THX Certification because they need that "marketing" advantage. You don't see Boston Acoustics with THX, do you?

THX are only MINIMUM standards for good sound quality, not HIGH standards.

Enough BS on the myth of THX. Only dummies who don't know about sound quality have to rely on it.

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 3038
I'm not saying good speakers have to be THX-certified. I think you missed my point. If a speaker was given to be tested and it failed the tests, chances are they're crappy speakers. Any good speaker manufacturer, such as Boston Acoustics like you mentioned, would easily pass THX testing, as would Dynaudio, B&W, etc. They just don't care about having a THX label. You have to pay to have the certification, so not all manufacturers have entered their speakers for testing.

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 7429
Christopher, why should we "go easy on the newbie" when his first post to this forum was an aggressive one meant solely to spur on some sort of a debate over what I'm not entirely sure.
He's a good example of the saying that it's better to be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt.
If he wants to bring up his opinions on Bose and THX in a car forum he's going to get conflicting views and opinions. What I offered him was some useful information on what THX actually is since he doesn't seem to know feces from shoe polish in regards to audio.
not_a-fan, nowhere did Jon say that the only good speakers made are THX rated. He simply said that speakers that do have THX ratings (which they have to both apply for, and pay for to wear the badge) have passed a certain amount of testing based on response, timbre, tonality, etc.
By no means are THX rated speakers the only good ones made.
My KEF Reference and Martin Logan speakers aren't THX, nor is anything used in my car. My AV receiver is, however that had nothing to do with why I bought it.

If you feel that THX is nothing but a gimmick that's fine. That is however, also subjective to a great extent and has nothing at all to do with anything. It appears to me that the majority of this thread has been nothing but a sniping expedition to rant about something or attack someone.
Unless anybody has something constructive to add to this thread, it should probably be left to die.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us