Amps for 18inch x-x-x

Bronze Member
Username: Jldoublew7

Post Number: 11
im picking up a RE 18 x-x-x sub and know i need a big amp. I want to run it at 4 omhs here are some of my ideas.. tell me which brands here suck or amps are good plz help me out any advice needed and wanted.

AMP # 1 :
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=79827%26item%3D5746229787 %26
AMP # 2 :
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=18797%26item%3D5746419587 %26
AMP # 3 :
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=18797%26item%3D5744945715 %26
AMP # 4 :
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=64572%26item%3D5745711415 %26

Thanks for the help. I really want the best for my 18. Please tell me about brands and what i should go.

Bronze Member
Username: Byrumjr

Post Number: 34
The RE 18 sub. What brand name and how many ohms, also is it dual or single voice coils. What are the RMS watts and max Watts.

Silver Member
Username: Southernrebel

Monroe, Louisiana USA

Post Number: 329
Out of the amps you have listed, i would go w/ the Rockford Fosgate amp. or maybe the JL 1000/1, but you may wanna through that 18" more power than the JL will provide. that is why i say the RF is a good choice.

i'm not a big fan of RF, but i hear good things about there new 2005 model power series amps.

also, if you are getting an amp of that size...you should look into getting a high output alt.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
donal byrum- here www.REaudio.com that should tell u everything u want to know about the x-x-x 18.

marshall white- is it imperative that i get a new alternator if i get a amp that big? couldn't i just get a capacitor? thx..

I want to setup the bass to where it is real deep and low, not so loud in the car but hear farrrr away. prolly tune it to about 40hz or so. lil help there 2.

Silver Member

Monroe, Louisiana USA

Post Number: 331
a cap wont help you if you are planning to run a 2000wrms amp w/ a stock alt.

thats just not what a cap is ment to do. glasswolf did a right-up on charging systems a while back...search for it on this forum, it will explain caps, alts, and batts.

a 2000wrms amp will draw about 166A of current. most stock alts put out under 100A. you will prolly want to get a 200A or a 220A alt. i think you can find them on ebay for about $250 or so shipped.

as for a box...i think RE recommends a 6.5 cu ft box tune to like 32hz for the 18" X.X.X....look on their site and make sure though.

Silver Member
Username: Rzarector

Coquitlam, Bc Canada

Post Number: 177
you most definatly will need a new alternator..http://www.wickedcases.com/caraudio/charging.html
if u want to run your sub at 4 ohms the forsgate will only give u 750 watts rms the jl will give u 1000
the orion 2500D will give u 1200 watts rms at 4 ohms

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
well the 18 inch x-x-x only has rms of 1600... i probably wont push it fully so i'll be shooting for about 1200 to 1400 rms. would i be able to get away w/o another alternator running that?

Bronze Member
Username: Sancho886

El Cajon, CA US

Post Number: 70
if you are going to spend the money for an x.x.x and a high power amp, why not power it up right? you're can't feed the amp enough power for it to produce 1200-1400 watts on a stock alternator.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 14
so then how much does an aftermarket alternator run? also, i take it that phoenix amps suck and so do alphasonik or whatever. thanks, id like to know how good those brands are.

Silver Member
Username: Solacedagony

New Jersey US

Post Number: 215
Phoenix Gold don't seem to be bad amps. Youll want something that powers at least 1300 or 1400W for an X.X.X, the more headroom the better. I bought an Orion 2500d for my 12".
Depending on the quality of the alternator and how many Amps you want out of it, it can get costly.
www.mralternator.com www.4alterstart.com

You can look at Zapco, Kicker, MTX, Orion and a slew of other amp companies for good stuff. Remember you're probably going to put out a good buck for your amp.

Silver Member
Username: Iamduff_87

Michigan America!

Post Number: 333
JL audio 1000/1 would work great. underrated and overpriced in my opinion. but you seem to have the money. ive heard nothing but good about JL amps and know its underrated. prolly can kick out a good solid 1200 or so.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 17
lol money lol. gee i wouldn't go so far as to put it like i can just through it away. id like to save money if i can, thats y i switch from getting a w7 to a x-x-x but value is more important to me than anything. if i can spend 500 dollars and get an off brand amp thats just as good as the jl i will do it

triple x subs
Unregistered guest
i juct got this from re today
X,x,x 18" Specs:
1600 Watts RMS
Comes in Dual 1, 2, or 4 Ohm Coils
Mounting Depth is 10.75"
Displacement is .25 CF
Ported Enclosure 6 CF after displacements
thats what you need to build a box

Bronze Member

Post Number: 18
thanks, so what does differn't ohms do? i want low bass heard a long ways away. so that means i need to run 4 ohms right? or am i wrong and making myself look stupid lol. my friend said for that kind of base i need to tune my box to about 40 hz or so. anyways thanks

Silver Member
Username: Lbeckner

Tulsa, Ok Usa

Post Number: 225
get the kicker 2500.1 hehehe

Silver Member

Monroe, Louisiana USA

Post Number: 332
you may wanna look at a hifonics bx1800.

they are less expensive. you could grab a hifonics bx1800 and a H/O alt (200A-220A) for less than the price of a JL 1000/1!

the "buy now" price for jl 1000/1's on ebay now is like $650. the price for the hifonics bx1800 is $300. and the price for a 200A alt is $200-$250.

i have heard some decent stuff about hifonix, but i have never used them.

just a small suggestion.

Bronze Member
Username: Alpineblaster

Post Number: 46
Hifonics is no good they where good 10 yrs ago but Crunch Bought them out and there still riding the name. i have the same dillema and am going with an orion 2500D for my two alpine type X 12s I found it for $450 on a website pretty good considering it puts out 2500 RMS WATTS at 13.8V can anyone confirm those watt rating though??? personaly id go with orion i heard they make good stuff

Bronze Member
Username: Rhassler

Post Number: 61
what website did u find that amp at for $450?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us