Help with 92 grand prix alternator

Username: Hillz

Post Number: 1
i bought a 160 wat alternator for my 92 grand prix can anyone tell me how to wire it becuase what i did was run an xtra wire from the battery on the laternator to the positive battery connection and it would stall out and die. do i need to run the wire from the alternator to the starter? any help would help.

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

Post Number: 1013
160 AMP alternator.

Get a Haynes manual and consult the part about installing a replacement alternator, or let a mechanic do the work.
be sure you wire the alternator with heavy enough power cable, like you'd use for the amps.
160A should use 2AWG cable to ground and to teh battery.
the battery should be grounded with it as well.

jay amaro
Unregistered guest
good call on the haynes manual too glasswolf they arent as good as a mitchell but id take a haynes over a **** chilton any day.
yeah sounds like you have a problem and it shouldnt do that because the bat lug on the back of the alternator is only used for charging the field windings and it returns power through the output harness and sounds like your altering the field.
your best bet is a wiring diagram and its one thing to parallel a factory wire connection or "piggyback" it if you will and totally another to create a new circuit. i would trace this out and also if you didnt run that wire if the car starts and charges then id leave it alone.
jay
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us