QUESTION FOR GLASS OR OTHERS

Username: Chada08

Post Number: 2
Aight so here's the deal. I'm workin on putting my first sytem together. I just bought 2 12 in. MTX MZS1204's... SVC 300 watts RMS 4 ohms, and will soon purchase the MXA6001 amp. Wired in parallel, that'll give me 600 watts at 2 ohms. Just wonderin what you guys think about the setup / MTX brand, i've heard good things. Also, if my '98 Cavalier will produced enough power to push the amp ok. I've been readin lots about this, and i was wonderin if anyone could help me out. Thanks... and to Glass and others, it's real kool you guys take the time on here to help out less "educated" people like me. haha

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 1061
Hook those 2 subs in parallel for 2ohms operation. I hope you also bought the amp wiring kit. You'll need it. Follow the instructions that come with the amp/amp kit to avoid picking up noise.
For 600W rms, I highly doubt that your stock alternator will be able to supply the power it needs. The first sign should be your lights dimming with the bass notes. Whatever you do, don't ignore it. Either turn the volume down or get a new HO alternator. After that, get 1F capacitor, but only after the alternator upgrade.
If that's out of the question, then you could get batttery isolator and get 2nd yellow top battery from walmart. This will draw power from your 2nd battery and leave your primary one for starting. But the best solution is an alternator upgrade.

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 7300
pretty much what he said.
best bet is to hook it all up and see if it causes problems.
it may, it may not.
never know till ya try it out. too many factors we don't know, to tell if the alternator needs to be upped a bit or not.

Post Number: 3
thanks, yeah i'm gettin CC to do it since they sell the MTX brand. one other question about what the 'gain' on the amp is. It that how many watts it pushes, how loud it can go, etc.? for example, if the gain was halfway up would that be 300 watts? thanks. i'm not lookin to blow people out, just some nice solid bass for me to listen to. also, i'm thinkin install will cost about $100-150 (minus labor obviously). does that sound about right for the amp kits and other needed stuff? thanks

Post Number: 4
O yeah and one more thing to add. I did have my alternator replaced a few months back, cause the old one was shot. I'm not sure what to look for though, i could call the place and get some numbers if i knew what to ask. thanks

Gold Member

Post Number: 1063
The gain on the amp is for matching the volts from your HU to your amp's input. Most HU's give out 4v on the rca. So you have to set the gain on the amp to 4v. If you set this incorrectly, you will cause the amp to fail. Sometimes it takes few weeks before it dies. The gain doesnot determine the output watts. That's what the volume control is for.
The installs usually cost anywhere from $50 - $120, depending on devices involved ie HU, multi amps, capacitors, speakers. Some shops will give you free install if you buy certain model or meet their minimum purchase price. It shouldn't cost no more than that. If they ask for $200 and up, look else where.
If you find out that you do need a HO alternator, then try 4alterstart.com. They should be able to get you whatever you need.

Post Number: 5
Ok so i'm readin my HU manual, i have a basic JVC. It says for my line-out level/ impedance 2.0 V / 20kohms. So that means the gain would be set at 2v? and i'm hoping this line out is what is used for the amp input (a dedicated input for amps)?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1067
If your HU says 2v, then yes you have to set your gain to 2v on your amp. And yes, that rca on the HU is used for the amp's input. Some HU's offer 3, one for the front, rear, and sub. I'm surprised your HU only puts out 2v. Is that an old unit? Most modern ones give at least 4v or higher.

Post Number: 6
Yeah it's about a year and a half old maybe. Just a basic JVC, they don't sell it anymore lol. Hopefully CC would set that for me. Also, if you could take a look here.
http://www.circuitcity.com/rpsm/oid/71668/rpem/ccd/productDetailSpecification.do #tabs
That would be the amp kit i'd need (i'll have 600 rms)? 70 sounds high for a few cables, but i guess that's how it goes. Then it'd be like 30 or so for the RCA stuff.

Post Number: 7
Also, i'm workin on checkin what my alternator puts out, i'll let you know when i find out and see if i'll need anything

Gold Member

Post Number: 1075
That cable's not worth $70. Go to Walmart. They have one that's $30.
All you need is a shielded directional rca cable that goes from the HU to your amp, 15' should be enough. The ones you get in a power wiring kit is very cheap. Not worth using in a car. I had to do the same thing, buy the rca cable separately.

Post Number: 8
Dude you're my hero lol, i woulda never thought about walmart. So it should be this one then? 700 RMS would be plenty...
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.gsp?product_id=1863080
and yo i'm hate to ask, but i was wonderin if you had an SN i could IM you on, cause i have more questions and this forum isn't the fastest way. If you don't wanna give yours out, mine is ChadA08 if u could im me sometime. thanks

Gold Member

Post Number: 1083
That model from walmart will work just fine. Do get a separate rca shielded directional cable though. You wouldn't want to use the one that come with the kits.
If you click on my name, it'll show you a link for sending private messages.

Post Number: 9
It says that kit is for 4 channel amps, but it should be fine with my mono amp too rite? it says i'll need a battery terminal too?

Post Number: 10
Ok so here are two RCA cables:
http://www.circuitcity.com/rpsm/oid/71702/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do
http://www.circuitcity.com/rpsm/oid/71691/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do
They are 2 channel tho, would they just get connected since it's mono? Same prices, but i guess the longer one is the shielded thing you're talkin about. 17 feet seems long though. So with one of those RCA's and the walmart kit, is there anything else i'd need? The kit says the battery terminal isn't included, what's that for?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1085
Don't get the first one, it's just a twisted cable. It doesn't say anything about being shielded nor directional.
Some cables are shielded, while few are shielded and directional. Make sure you check the cable for that. CircuitCity isn't that competitive in price wise.
17' is okay. It's not too long nor short. You'll see that by the time you go around the door frame and other places, you will use up most of the length.
Whatever you do, don't rush. Do the job properly so that you won't have to do it again.
As for battery terminal, no need to worry. Your current battery already should have that. The power wire will have a connector already hooked up. All you have to do is loosen the screw on the battery and attach the wire.
All the instruction you need comes with the kit. As long as you follow that, you can't go wrong.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
Nice. So i'll get the walmart amp kit and those rca's, and i should be good to go right? i'm havin CC install for me. Well i guess i'll need speaker wire too, shouldn't be much since the amp will be close to the box. Just enough to go from the amp to the box and the box to the sub (for each), rite? any suggestions?

Username: Vaio

Post Number: 8
I WORK ON FORD RANGER I INSTALL batttery isolator WORKS I DO CAR SYSTEMS ON MY FRIENDS CAR TURCKS . I DID A 3 12" ROCKFORD FOSGATE POWER HX2 12in WITH AN MTX Thunder1501D. ON THE BACK OF THE TRUCK THERE IS ROCKFORD FOSGATE POWER T212D4 12" 2000w (2) WITH A ROCKFORD FOSGATE Power T20001bd AMP.
MAN WHEN THE BASS HIT THE LIGHTS DID NOTT DIM AND IT WAS VERY LOUD BASS. THIS A LITTLE STORY THAT batttery isolator WORKS THEY DO THERE JOB.
MY FRIEND WAS VERY HAPPY FROM ALL THAT BASS. batttery isolator HELPS

Gold Member

Post Number: 1087
The speaker wires are cheap. You can either buy 25' roll or just buy by the foot from an audio shop.
Don't get suckered into buying monster cables. They're just all marketing ploy. Speakers do not handle high currents.
Xplod, yes a battery isolator will work but just remember, once the amp drains your battery, your alternator is next.

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 2990
http://www.knukonceptz.com
Best wire, RCAs, and cable you'll get for the price IMO.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
Aight what gage do i need? i thought the higher the gage the better, but the prices don't reflect that. help out a confused brother lol

Gold Member

Post Number: 1093
You're going the wrong way. It's lower the gauge, the more current it can handle, and the price goes up. It's the opposite of shoe size. If someone told you that they wear size 0, then look out! :-)

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
haha yeah thanks. seems like 12 gauge will be good. i think i can handle 80 cents a foot. i guess i'll need about 10 feet? just goin from the amp to the subs (amp will prolly be attatched to the back seat). and i guess from the box to the subs too? i bought a qlogic box, i dunno if that comes with wire inside already.

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 2992
If you haven't already bought power wire, then just buy the 4 channel amp kit.
http://www.knukonceptz.com/productMaster.cfm?Category=Amp%20Installation%20Kits#
Comes with top quality RCAs, speaker wire, and power cable, only $36.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 14
How many watts can that handle? Looks good... i'll have 600 rms

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 2997
The Power wire is 4 guage, and is more than enough for 600W RMS. Speaker wire is 12 guage, again more than enough to get the job done. You really can't size wire too big. It leaves you room to expand if you choose to do so later on.

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 2999
The Power wire is 4 guage, and is more than enough for 600W RMS. Speaker wire is 12 guage, again more than enough to get the job done. You really can't size wire too big. It leaves you room to expand if you choose to do so later on.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1115
Jonathan, you're at 2999. Wonder what'll happen at 3000 post?

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 3007
It means it's far time to go get some tang tonight :-)
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us