ATTN: Glass or Jonathon

Silver Member
Username: Audiophile

OFallon, MO USA

Post Number: 102
(Hopefully at least one of you remembers me.)

I just got a 1992 Ford Ranger. I plan on a rather interesting audio install. (If you want I'll post it here, but I didn't think it'd be relative.)
My question is: What brand speakers should I use as my front soundstage? I plan on not using rears, and I may get tweeters (I'll explain that with the above). Im going to buy 2 13w7's with 2 1000/1's powering them (one for each).

Tell me, does this sound good? And which speakers? Infinity maybe? The Subs/amps will be my priciest item.

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 2978
Depends on what you like. Do you like brighter sounding components, or warmer, more neutral components? Soft domes or metal? I'm guessing you want them loud as well. Last thing, how much do you have to spend on the components and the amp to power them?

Silver Member

OFallon, MO USA

Post Number: 105
Well, I listen to hiphop, trance, rap, R&B, techno and every now and then, alternative rock. I also listen to alot of Metallica (:-Þ I know, I know...so far from everything else), so I'd like the speakers to be loud in the highs. I HATE muddy sounding audio with a passion. I think I'm going to go with you and Glass' suggestion and use only front speakers-crisp highs are what I'm aiming for here. Once I get the W7's I should have plenty of bass for the time-being. :-)
As far as the tweeters I mentioned, I might buy a set of A-Pillar single gauge pods and mount tweeters in them (unique, I've never seen it done before). Sounds like a good idea since they'd be right at about ear level.
My truck is the regular cab, so no back seat. The rear speakers are just above the floor on the sides of the seats, so I'm just going to leave them empty.
The W7s are where my unique idea come into play (aside from the a-pillar tweets). I WANT (keep in mind this is just a plan) to get a fiberglass enclosure built that will sit flush with the entire rear of the bed (closest to the cab). I would then cut 13.5" holes into the bed, between it and the cab. I would also cut the same holes into the cab, directly lined up with the previously mentioned holes. I would then mount the subwoofers firing towards the cab (so that the magnet is inside the bed of the truck). Using dryer vent tubing (it's the only thing I can come up with so far that I could use that would flex) and some sort of weather sealing, I would make what would basically be a bass tube between the bed and the cab. I think I would custom fit the amps into the fiberglass enclosure for a clean look.
This is my unique solution to the problem of not having anywhere to store subwoofers in my truck-just an off-the-wall idea, let me know what you all think.

No Flames Please. :-)

Silver Member

OFallon, MO USA

Post Number: 108
Bump? Anyone, thoughts, comments, testimonies of enlightenment?

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 2982
If you want bright components, look into the MB Quart Q series, Focals (K2P are a little bright), and the Kappa Perfects, which have a very strong tweeter as do the Quarts. The JL XRs are bright, depending on the install(A pillars would be loud). The A pillar idea isn't bad at all. The W7 idea, however, has one problem. The Chassis of the truck is inevitably going to flex, and that enclosure has a very good chance of breaking if you put it between cab and bed, you also may damage $2000+ worth of subwoofers and amps. You'd have to spend a huge amount of money actually bracing the truck or consider other options. Doing that would eliminate it's use as a truck as well, you couldn't just sling stuff in the back like you normally would. You could build a custom console in the truck and put subs there (don't know if yours is a stick or not, though). Another option (very uncommon, with phenominal results for SQ purposes) is to look into different subs (bear with me, I'll tell you why) that are capable of an AP install. Also with low depth. If you go to www.elitecaraudio.com, you'll see on the AP tutorial that a guy installed 12s in the door of an S-10. Definately not something you'll see everyday. That in mind, if you decide you might want to try that, you'll need a sub that is shallower than a W7, and with a Qtc around .35 or lower. Saying you're considering that cab to bed idea, I'm guessing you're not against doing custom work (or having it done), so it's just a suggestion. The only downside of having 12s in doors is window clearance, but if you were to modify a few things you could squeek a sub in there.

Silver Member

OFallon, MO USA

Post Number: 110
The enclosure itself wouldn't actually be built between the cab and the bed. That's where the dryer vent tubing comes into play--it flexes. The subs and enclosure itself would be IN the bed completely; the tubing would be the only thing between the bed and the cab.

And yes my truck is a stick by-the-by. It's gettin a turbo 302 and a c-5 tranny this summer :-)

Silver Member

OFallon, MO USA

Post Number: 111
And wow...those S10 doors are SICK! But as he stated, not a good choice for rap and trance, two of my favorite music types :-)

Oh well, I'll find some way to hook up 2 W7's--whether it be just mounting them in the bed with a taneau cover over them, or I get to go custom.

Anonymous

Your a-pillar idea reminds me of CDT image enhancement setups.
You're looking at doing a blowthru or blow through. http://66.98.178.95/rangerpowersports.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=90359

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 2996
The dryer vent blowthrough would work, IMO not quite as good as if the subs were in the cabin of course, you'll have to do some work to make it look good (or not bad). It should work, though.

Silver Member

OFallon, MO USA

Post Number: 112
Thanks anonymous!

Thanks for the encouragement Jonathan. I'm going for SQL really. I want heavy bass with clear highs. I have another question for you too: Should I use my "rear" speaker locations? They aren't really behind me any, really more like under me; I was thinking I could put SOMETHING in there--lol. Any advice?

Silver Member
Username: Jeremyc

Kunsan AfbSouth Korea

Post Number: 413
If you going for pure sound quality I wouldn't bother. Especially if you planing on putting tweets in the a pillers. It would mess up your imaging, and in my opinion isn't worth the small gain in spl you would get.

Silver Member

OFallon, MO USA

Post Number: 113
I'm assuming you're referring to my question about the "rear" speaker location fills. I was thinking that it wouldn't even be worth my money, but I wasn't real sure. Thanks J

Silver Member
Username: Jeremyc

Kunsan AfbSouth Korea

Post Number: 442
Yep sorry for not being more clear. Still glad I could save you some $$

Silver Member

OFallon, MO USA

Post Number: 114
:-)
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums