Tighter Bass

Username: Awp20v

San Diego, CA USA

Post Number: 1
Here is my current set up: Kenwood KVT-815DVD head unit running the facotry speakers, Kenwood KAC-X521 2 channel amp, powering an JL Audio 10W3 D2 wired in series in a powerwedge sealed box. I just can't seem to get the bass to sound crisper. I have the gains set mid way, LPF set at 100hz, I have poly fill in my enclosure. Do you think that I require a different box/subwoofer. The amp is rated @ 500w RMS x1 @4 ohms. Right know the bass sounds kinda "muddy". Also my amp has a setting for "Q Factor" could someone please exlpain that one to me?

Thaks in advance,

Daren

Bronze Member
Username: Jlprix91

West, Michigan Usa

Post Number: 40
If you want tighter bass you usually go with a smaller box?
as far as crisp maybe upgrade your stock speakers

San Diego, CA USA

Post Number: 2
Thanks for the advise!! I'll try a smaller box and see how that works out. Any ideaa as to what this "Q Factor" adjustment is for. It provides this option as I adjust frequencies within the head units eq menu and also on the amp itself. I don't know how adjusting it effects the sound as playing with it I hardly notice anything different. Maybe I just don't know what to listen for..

Thanks again

Username: Pharoh

Bradford, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 5
Smaller box wont really do much. If you are only running one subwoofer, you should bridge your amp to the woofer if your amp is bridgible. To my understanding of that amp, you can control the amplification?(12v or 14v). Turn the bass down on your headunit and put out more bass on your sub and it should sound crisp. Your stock speakers will be putting out alot more highs and wont distort as much as it would with more bass. "For a capacitor, inductor or tuned circuit, the **Q FACTOR**, or Q, is a figure of merit. The higher the Q, the lower the loss and the more efficient the component." So in other words it sharpens your sound coming out of the amp and saves power?

Bronze Member
Username: Redskin

LondonEngland

Post Number: 95
The Q factor in this case is Kenwoods bass booost circuit. I'm assuming it must be similar to my psw9524. where you set a boost frequency say 60hz and the amount of gain, then you set Q factor. Mine goes from 1-1.5-2. 1 makes the boost have a sharp peak at 60hz while 2 makes the boost effect spread out to more frequencies either side of your chosen frequency.

San Diego, CA USA

Post Number: 3
Thanks for the replys guys! It's starting to make alot more sense to me! I'll try "tweeking" it a bit more and see if I can clean it up a bit.

Thanks again

Daren
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us