A Different Kind of Bass

Griffin507
Unregistered guest
Hi everyone. I am currently running to 12" Alpine R Types, and I am pleased with how they perform, but I have one problem. My friend has some Audiobahn Flame Q's, which dont pound near as hard as my subs, but the bass they produce is a different sound. Instead of the deep, vibrating everything bass my subs produce, its more of a hallow, punch, or knock. I get the same thing when I have my headunit up only about half way, I can feel it in my chest more. I cant describe it well, but its just more of a harder "hit" that I want more than the deep bass I have. What subs could I get that will produce this sound and not what I already have?

(Don't say get my friends subs that make that noise cause its not good enough for me, I'd like that same sound but louder and more high quality.) Thanks to who ever replies.

Gold Member
Username: Its_bacon12

Hfl, Ny Usa

Post Number: 1199
its more dependant on your amp than your subs, say you have a 200 watt amp and you try to get 500 out of it...it will not perform and notes that are meant to be less punchy than others will be equal to those that are supposed to be louder

im not sure if you understand this, but your amp cant produce the power it needs for the punchier notes, therefore they are the same as less punchy notes

haha well im not sure if this helps at all but i tried...

Bronze Member
Username: Pharoh

Bradford, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 14
You are on the right track. It depends on your amp. Settings for different subs will have to be applied to the amp with its Frequency setting. usually 0-400 i think?. Lower the hz the more deeper and higher the more punchy. But then again you need good subs and a good amp to make it louder.

Griffin507
Unregistered guest
Well, my amp is a Boss Riot which I know is a low quality amp, but until my budget gets larger its all I have to work with. Do you think setting the hz differently on my amp will produce the effect your talking about Pharoh? Or am I out of luck till I can get a better amp.

Bronze Member

Bradford, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 18
no, it should work the same on all amps, but its not going to be the quality you want untill you spend that exrta buck.

Bronze Member

Bradford, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 19
even with a MTX set it wouldent sound bad.
Ive heard their MTX amp and a 10" in a bassworx box and it sounds decent. Amp = 270cdn, and the subs only about 150ish with the box. Alot of Futureshops carry them.

Bronze Member

Bradford, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 20
I should have posted this all in one message but if you save up for an amp it will be worth it

Griffin507
Unregistered guest
yeah, I know I need a new amp, but I am happy with the subs. I will try this today and let you know how it worked.

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 7318
your friend sounds like he's using a bandpass enclosure. probably 4th order.
the enclosure is what really determines the response curve of your subs.
you may want to try a different enclosure type or change the port tuned freq.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us