Using welding cable for power wire..Glass??

Blair Aus
Unregistered guest
Is welding cable suitable for using as a power wire?? Is about 2 gauage in width and is multi stranded. Its as cheap as at AUS$5 a metre. Its ugly as though as it is covered in this bright orange industrial insulation. If I could get an expert opinion that would be great as I am looking for a cheap alternative.

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 7204
no.
for high current DC voltage power cable in a car you want something with over 500 strand count OFC so it's flexible and supple, and can carry more current.
As I said before, electrons travel around the outside surface of each strand, so the more stands, the better the current carrying capability of the wire, and the more flexible it'll be.

BlairAus
Unregistered guest
I have a feeling you might be mixing this cable with another. The welding cable I am talking looks exactly like typical stereo power wire however instead of having pretty clear insulation it is solid orange. it has thousands of strands of copper wire and is flexable like your average garden hose. please dont mistake me. i am not talking about the hard 6/8 strand high voltage/low amperage wire. my particlular concern is that proper power wires are oxygen free and I am unsure if this wire is or not. what are the implications if it is not and i still use it??

Bronze Member
Username: Sancho886

El Cajon, CA US

Post Number: 58
yeah i have seen this wire before. it looks like it has almost as many strands as the 0 gauge I got from knukonceptz.

Blair Aus
Unregistered guest
yeah.... that'd be the one...as i stated before i am unsure if is oxygen free or not and if i were to use it and it was not oxygen free, would i run into any problems?? any help would be greatly appreciated.

Bronze Member
Username: _andrew_

Post Number: 15
Not sure if it's a "good" idea, but a buddy of mine is using 1 awt welding power wire also. He hasn't had any problems yet.

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 7215
OFC is useful in cars due to the high humidity environment.
it keeps moisture out of the copper strands inside the cabling, so it won't oxidize.
that's about it really.

if the cable is the same stuff, go for it.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us