Is their a problem?

Username: Audio_fanatic

Mukilteo, Wa

Post Number: 7
i recently purchased and had installed focal 165w in my car. About a week after i had them the tweeter got really hot and blew, which kind of amazed me since i was using a jl 300.2 amp and never turn my volume up full blast. But since then it sounds like the right focal speaker shakes when tha bass hits hard. And the only reason i brought this up is because my left side doesnt do that at all and i just wanted to know if anyone thought sumthin could be wrong or its just tha way it should sound. And yes i do have dynomat

Bronze Member
Username: Geekbike

Post Number: 11
Were your gains set properly?

Mukilteo, Wa

Post Number: 9
Yes to my knowledge everything was set properly and installed correctly

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 7173
sounds like you blew both the tweeter and midrange on that side.
either that was a bad amp channel or a short in the wiring, or amp gain set too high causing clipping and distortion.
the amp should have HPF set to about 125Hz for separates.

Bronze Member

Mukilteo, Wa

Post Number: 13
OK thanks, but i dont think i blew anything, because i already had blown tha tweeter and they gave me a new set for free, they sed it got overheated. So im pretty sure nothing is blown, and when i say shake i dont really mean like at low volume or anything, its turned up pretty high. So wut im saying is it that it just hits too hard, or is my amp not able to power them to their full extent.
p.s. i use a jl 300/2 amp

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 2922
Honestly, the Focals do that more than the other high end speakers I've dealt with, they are very sensitive about their power requirement. That amp is capable of pushing the Focals past their extent, typically it puts out closer to 200W RMS per channel. Describe "shakes", do you mean it distorts really bad, or what? More like an induced rattle, or the speaker itself? It could be the amp as well.

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 7188
It's those French I tell ya

Bronze Member

Mukilteo, Wa

Post Number: 15
Thanks for your input jonathan, i did not know that information, but ya its like a rattle wen tha bass hits, and its not like enough to make you say like whoa, thats bad, but its enough to catch my attention, and its only on tha right side, not tha left side, but i guess i could be that i just have the volume up to high.

Bronze Member

Mukilteo, Wa

Post Number: 16
So what ur sayin is that that amp gives them more than they can handle, so could that also be tha reason why wen i turn my deck up full volume, which is a cda 9833, which goes to 35 max, tha speaker cuts out for like a second, its happened to me twice, but most of the time it doesnt do it. So does that mean i should keep my volume like around 29ish max?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us