Amp on ebay

Foxstoner0420
Unregistered guest
I have 2 12 inch Kove Audio Armageddon Subs. They are 400 w rms. They are 4 ohm dvc. I am looking for a strong amp that does 400 w x 2 at 4 ohms. Im not wanting to spend more than $200. This is my first system and I have everything but the amp so,any help would be appreciated.

foxstoner0420
Unregistered guest
or would it be better to get 2 400 w amps

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 7124
you're not going to find any worthy amps that big and that cheap.
with two subs you really should have gone with a pair of 2 ohm DVC or single 4 ohm subs, so you could use a 2 ohm stable mono amp for them.

The best, affordable amp I can recommend for your system is a Kicker KX800.4
it's 100wRMS x 4 @ 4 ohms, or about 400wRMS x 2 @ 4 ohms bridged.
It's class AB so it'll be strong and clean. far more so than a class D amp.

foxstoner0420
Unregistered guest
Im pretty sure they are 4 ohm dvc. It doesnt say anywhere on whe sub but the way I bought the subs there is the wire inside the box one going to positive and one to negative. Then there is another wire going from pos to pos and neg to neg. (Does that make sence?)Is it ok to run them at 2 or even 1 ohm?

Bronze Member
Username: Sublime420

Ca Us

Post Number: 22
you could run them at 2ohms.

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 7144
yes, those are DVC, wired in parallel.
if the coils are 4 ohms each, which they probably are, you have a pair of 2 ohm subs at present.
now, here are teh ideal options for amps:

a single stereo amp, bridged mono that can deliver 800wRMS x 1 @ 4 ohms bridged
(wire your subs in series for 4 ohms, with coils as they are now)
or
a 1 ohm stable mono amp with subs in parallel
amp rating 800 watts x 1 @ 1 ohm
or
an amp rated for 400 watts x 2 @ 2 ohms stereo (same as first option really) with one sub on each stereo channel.

the problem is going to be finding a good 2 channel amp with that much power @ 2 ohms.
most stereo amps are smaller and designed for components, or larger class AB and very expensive.

as an option, if ya search ebay for an Orion 2250SX or CTR2250 it should fit your price range, and it's stereo output @ 2 ohms is 500 watts x 2
more, in reality, but that's the rated power.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us