12" volfenhag's

Username: Jcgoal33

Post Number: 1
i have two 12" volfenhag subwoofers if u dont kno wut these are they are about 1000 watts a piece running 2 ohms a 160 oz. double stack magnet and a solid aluminum cone. and im also running these subs off or a kenwood cd player and a 2000 watt 2 ohm volfenhag amplifier. but anyway im running them in a bandpass enclosure and im not too happy about the output wut kind of box would fit these subs perfact and let them peak at the deepest bass possible?

Silver Member
Username: Jmloughrey

Farmington, CT

Post Number: 661
go ported....

Post Number: 4
will it make a diffrence from the bandpass i have already?

Silver Member
Username: Xxkmfdmxx

Saint Petersburg, FL USA

Post Number: 137
You most likely will. I personally, Think ported boxes sound best. I ran a volfenhag in a ported box a couple months ago and sounded better than a sealed one I have. Havent tried to compare them in a bandpass box though.

Post Number: 5
sealed and bandpass boxes arnt that diffrnt i think that all bandpass does is just take up more space and theres less cubic feet of free air space thats basicly the only diffrence

Silver Member
Username: Oleg

Santa Monica, CA USA

Post Number: 242
That is not the only difference. The cone of the subwoofer is in a seal chamber, which controls it's excursion at higher SPL level. Also, bandpass boxes can get you more SPL at an equal power level to a ported box.

Post Number: 7
so wich one should i go with for my two volfenhags bandpass or ported?

Silver Member

Farmington, CT

Post Number: 666
go ported

Silver Member

Santa Monica, CA USA

Post Number: 244
Well, you already know how it sounds in a bandpass. Not going to tell you that there'll be a big difference, if at all, but there're a lot of other factors to consider:
1. your subs are absolute crap
2. your amp may be too weak
3. those subs may not be suited for a bandpass
enclosure.

#1 takes precedence in why they don't sound good though.

Post Number: 8
ok the subs sound good i just dont think that they are pushing out enough bass and i think that it is the box theyr good subs for my aplication the amp is fine thats pushing just the right amount of power i just think it has alot to do with the box and now that jeff has said ported twice and ive seen some of the other things he has said to other people and i can tell he knows wut hes talking about because i have had those problems and he is telling people the right way to fix them he knows his stereos and im going to take his advice and go ported for the simple fact that it makes sense i mean with a ported box there is more free air space and more air movement and everyone knows air movment is wut creats bass and thats wut i want. so thank u jeff and im ordering my box right now

Post Number: 9
oh and these subs are suited for any enclose any ohms between 8 and 2 and oh yea they arnt absolut crap id have to say for the price i got them and their capability they are the best subs i have seen in a while.

Silver Member

Santa Monica, CA USA

Post Number: 248
I don't know man. I have a friend that has them and they sound like garbage? Bandpass is a little more efficient anyway. I think you'll find that out anyway once you stick them into the new box.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
well wich model does he have i have the zx-4712 dvx's he could have the other type of subs that volfenhag makes he could have the 48 model i dont kno how these sound i have never heard them but mine arnt horrible at least not for my taste

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
jeff wut do u say on this one u still say ported? or do u think that it wont make a differnce and my subs are crap?

Silver Member

Farmington, CT

Post Number: 675
yea, i'm still gonna have to say go ported, your sub should come a booklet (most do) with specs on it and whatnot, it should either give you dimentions there or net volume needed for an optimal ported enclosure, i'm a fan of ported for numerous reasons, over bandpass, i'd put ported anyday, bandpass just seems so flat and only reminds of the term phrase "bandpass boxes are tuned high to sound loud"....i enjoy a good ported box with a 32-35htz tuning. If you've got the interior volume i can help you creature a box size for what your looking for, you can IM me on AIM at CKYxxx2k

hope that may help a little bit

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
alright ported it is i was going to buy that new box anyway but u just totally convinced me to ... my cousin used to help me with all of this kind of stuff and teach me how to do things he is the reason i kno all i do now about stereos i mean i dont kno alot but i kno more than the avrage teenager that just wants more bass in their system but my cousin recently died at the age of 28 and i dont have anyone to go to now for stereo advice i kno the most about stereos out of everyone i kno ... but anyways thanks for ur advice it has helped me tremendosly and i will post on here how it sounds once i get everything in. thanks again

Silver Member

Santa Monica, CA USA

Post Number: 251
cool, i want to hear how it ends up

Bronze Member

Post Number: 14
i dont really kno the tuning of ported boxes wut is a good hz for tuning for these subs i found a box that is tuned to 36 is that good or should i go with somthin closer to 30?

Username: Marz5044

Buffalo, Mn Usa

Post Number: 4
i have those same sub in a sealed box on 1000watt amp and my system bangs hard ive had them for three years now and paid less then 800$
so i hear ya dude them subs hit hard not quite nose hair rattlin like some solo barics but they do hit hard

Bronze Member

Post Number: 20
hard enough for a pickup truck they are mounted right behind my seat not even 6 inches from my ears trust me thats plenty i get disoriented enough driving with the stereo up as it is i dont need much more or the ride would be just uncomfterble but yes they hit extreamly hard for the price u pay to get a pair im still waiting on that ported box but when i get everything in and turn it up ill let u kno how it sounds

Bronze Member

Post Number: 21
and not to mention the looks. for the money i paid for these its more than worth evry penny im having a hard time deciding to mount them magnet up in the new box or cone up they look sick both ways i cant decide.

sublime420
Unregistered guest
Audiobahns look pretty too. but that doesnt mean their any good.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 31
did i say that because they looked good they are good?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us