Amplifier to match my Speakers

Username: Golflover123

Post Number: 3
i posted this question on another thread but was told to start another thread so here goes...i have an orion 600.5 pushing 2 12in cerwin vegas. i don't know much about anything when it comes to this stuff and bought these subs of an auction real cheap, but they are like 12 ohms. when i had em installed they told me that i needed subs with less ohms or a lot bigger amp to make em sound better. well i just ordered 2 12in compvr @4ohms. now the question is what amp to use. should i use the orion or would the kicker 600.4 be better?

Silver Member
Username: Glasswolf

Post Number: 956
are you sure they are 12 ohms?
are these car subs or house speakers?
check what's printed on the speaker magnets, and let me know that.

that Orion should drive the two CompVR subs very well.
wire each 4 Ohm sub in parallel to the amp for a 2 Ohm load.

Post Number: 5
i purchased them on ubid.com about a yr ago. i looked to see if i could find em on several sites but don't see them. they are in a box so i can't tell what it says on the magnet now but the front says "cerwin vega" with the symbol and at the bottom it says "accurate image group". i was at ricky smith audio today and they told me the orion i have will not work with the comp vr. they were telling me i needed a 2 channel amp. maybe they were trying to get me to buy something?

Silver Member

Post Number: 968
Oh I missed the model number on that Orion.
yeah you'd actually be best off with a monoblock amp for subs.

Post Number: 8
hey glasswold i finally change those cerwin vega's to the compvr's. here are this #'s even the installer had never seen subs like this. also here is the mod # for the orion amp. i also put some alpine type r componates and it made a biggggggg difference. but the orion 5 channel amp isn't enough to drive those subs.here they are are. cerwin vega AI-012.0 power trio 250 watts rms impedance 12 ohms accurate image group.
orion amp is cobalt cs 500.5

Post Number: 9
here is what i plant to do now. please tell me if you would do it any differently or what would be the next thing to do to help it sound even better. 1st i plan to get the kicker kx500.2 to push the dual 4ohm compvr's i just installed. next i want to change my sony xplod amp to an alpine with a built in eq and them mayme some more tweeters. don't know which ones yet (alpine, kicker, mb quart or boston accoustics.
thx for all your help
cya

Gold Member

Post Number: 1080
the Orion amp is a low end model, and the cobalt series isn't that great.
you'd be better off with a sub amp.
the CV subs were taken out of some home speakers, and that's why you're not familiar with them.
They're also rather old.

look at one of the mono KX series amps for the subs, not the class-AB two channel amps.
use a kicker 2 or 4 channel amp for the components
lose the sony.
don't buy separate tweeters. if you want a good front stage, get separates.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us