Distance from Cap. to amp

Bronze Member
Username: Rzarector

Coquitlam, Bc Canada

Post Number: 57
hey im trying to fit all this stuff in the fibreglass box im making.. its going where the backseats used to be in an 88 mustang hatchback because i still need the trunk space i left that area open. problem is its hard to fit 2 12's 1 15'
2 amps 2 capacitors/distroblocks in this box so i wanted to rip the side panels off the interior and fibreglass the caps and distro blocks in there but the caps would be a few feet from the amps.. would it be ok to do this? how much of a diff would it make the setup is
1000w amp - 2x 12"woofers 300W rms each
550w amp - 1 15"woofer 500rms
all alpine type r's
also i know this has been on here before but i couldnt find it
how should i run the wires through the car? which wires should stay away from other ones? THX

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 7004
if the capacitor is within a couple of feet of the amplifier, cable-length wise, you'll be fine.

Silver Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 943
From your post, it sounds like you haven't wired anything. Get a amp power wiring kit. On the back it'll have all the instruction you'll need. The goal is to separate the power wires away from the rca signal wires. If your battery is on the driver's side, then run the power wires on the left side of the car along the door, and rca on the right.
The ground wire should be no longer than 36", and make sure it has solid contact with the car chassis.
The caps wires should be no longer than 18" max. The shorter the better. You have to properly charge the caps or else you'll create lot of sparks and damage the contacts. The instructions will come with the amps/caps/wire kits. So you shouldn't have any problem.

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 7005
and you keep the signal cables (RCAs) separate from teh power cables.
run them on opposite sides of teh car, or up one side and the center to keep them apart.
keep RCAs away from factory wiring runs as well. if they are laid in parallel together side by side, this can introduce noise into the system.

Silver Member
Username: Jeremyc

Kunsan AfbSouth Korea

Post Number: 304
Hay mark I would drop the 15. If you want add a 3rd 12. It will give you more room to begin with. It will also iliminate cancelation problems you will have with running difrent size subs. When you run multiple size subs you end up with cancelation due to the difrent frequancy ranges that they run.

As for their being a few feet between the amps and the caps will be fine. Just make sure you use a higher grade wire at least 4 guage in diamiter.

Run your power wires, (12 volt + and the remote wire) on one side and the rca's on the other side. The remote isn't a must, but it doesn't hurt to be safe.

Silver Member

Kunsan AfbSouth Korea

Post Number: 305
how often does someone get 3 answers at the exact same time ????

Silver Member

Post Number: 946
Must be some lucky guy! :-)

Silver Member

Kunsan AfbSouth Korea

Post Number: 307
especially from the three of us all we need now is jonathon

Silver Member

Post Number: 947
I think he's still celebrating Christmas with Ms Clause.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us