Opinions needed on the Infinity Kappa Perfect 12.1 subs

Anonymous

Does anyone have experience with the Infinity Kappa Perfect 12" subs. How do the compare the the V-Max and Type R subs. Looking for the hardest hitting sub using 300W per sub. Thanks.

Silver Member
Username: Erik123456

Arlington, Tx

Post Number: 296
I have owned vmax and type r subs and heard the perfects

I like the type R best and the V-Max is loudest, thats just my 2 cents

all in all they are pretty similar if you listen to them all and dont have a huge prefrence just see what you can find on ebay for the cheapest

Silver Member
Username: Invain

Michigan United States

Post Number: 276
I think their all in the same range, the Kappa's might lack in spl, but they will have better sq.

Silver Member

Arlington, Tx

Post Number: 297
i agree with joe
spl id say
vmax
type r
perfect

sq
perfect
type r
vmax

Anonymous

Erik, please explain what you mean by the "loudest." Compare the three as far as having the hardest hit.

Silver Member

Arlington, Tx

Post Number: 298
loud in spl terms although it was just my observation i never got a reading on them

the vmax will definetly have the hardest hit of the three they move a lot of air in a ported box

are you planning on gettin 2 of the subs ? and what kind of car do you have?

Bronze Member
Username: Stamant

Pensacola, FL USA

Post Number: 32
Erik, I am planning on getting two 12s. I have a Tahoe. You gave me advice on the Type Rs before. However, I heard from a friend that the Kappa Perfects would blow away the Type Rs. I am looking for head turning bass that is not sloppy. I also am considering putting whatever subs I get in a ported box. I am hesitant because I have only owned sealed boxes in the past. What do you think? Thanks.

Silver Member

Arlington, Tx

Post Number: 300
If you are serious about sq get the 2 perfects in a sealed spec box

I dont really think the perfects blow away the type r subs at all however

wait till some more people reply and i guess you can get a better feeling for everyones prefrences before you decide

Bronze Member
Username: Shivvyman

Post Number: 23
I don't know anything about the V-max subs, but I researched the Type Rs and Perfects. I ended up getting two 12" Perfects (in transit right now). I'll tell you how I came to my conclusion.

First, I checked out all the consumer reviews. The Kappa Perfects received excellent reviews. Most importantly, most of the reviewers sounded somewhat intelligent when reviewing the product. They gave a good descriptive analysis of the positives and negatives. There were very few negatives. The only negative reviews came from those who sounded like they were in the 3rd grade and from those who ended up blowing out their sub within the first week. Obviously, they failed to break it in and they blamed Infinity for it.

Second, I'm not sure where everybody gets the idea that the Kappas aren't good for SPL and don't get 'loud.' The Perfects are rated at 96db in a car @40hz. The Type Rs were rated at 89db. However, no information was given as to how this rating was done, so I wouldn't read too much into this information. I should not that the one 12" Perfect can reach 101db @35hz in a ported box (freq response is @ 2.83V). That certainly isn't bad if you ask me. You throw two Perfects in a nice ported box with even more power going to them and you are going to get really 'loud.' I think I read somewhere about somebody hitting in the upper 130s (can't verify that). You aren't going to be winning awards, but there aren't going to be too many people in town who will be able to get much louder, especially with the SQ of an Infinity sub. Basically, the Perfects can still pound with the Alpines. They are capable of handling more wattage (350 rms/ 1400 max) compared to the Type Rs (300 rms /1000 max).

Third, I wanted some deep bass. I read several reviews that said the Alpine had trouble hitting the really low notes at peak volume. The Kappa's are capable of hitting 18 hz while the Type Rs were rated at 24 hz. It was pointed out that this doesn't make too much of a difference because the building of your box will greatly determine how low each sub can really hit. This this spec for what its worth.

Overall, I just wanted a clean sub that could hit just as hard as any other (in its price range). There was really nothing about the Type R that wasn't appealing, I just felt the Perfect had it beat in nearly every category ever so slightly.

Anonymous

Micheal, very good insight. I just would like to know are there more people who feel the same way you do. Also I plan on only running 300W to each sub. What do you think? Thanks.

Silver Member

Arlington, Tx

Post Number: 303
See Paul its all about perception

has anyone in here been measured with a perfect or type R

Bronze Member

Post Number: 24
I'll be looking to run my Kappas with around 400 watts RMS each. However, right now I've got a below par amp. I'm looking to upgrade, but if I can't find or afford anything else I'll probably just stick with what I've got.

300 watts to each sub should be fine, if its RMS. It that is the max wattage you might want to look at another amp. I think the minimum should be at least 200-250 watts RMS to each sub.

Bronze Member
Username: Loudon

Post Number: 92
I had to two 12 inch Kappas with a bp600.1 on em ... and they hammered ... i have heard type r's and they hit hard but their sq isnt what the perfects have ... personally the spl that the Kappas put out wasnt top notch but it was a quality sounding subwoofer.. i would rate it higher then the vmaxes and type r...
p.s i had em in asealed box made to specs.

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 2899
"Second, I'm not sure where everybody gets the idea that the Kappas aren't good for SPL and don't get 'loud.' The Perfects are rated at 96db in a car @40hz. The Type Rs were rated at 89db."

This is what I was referring to in the other post. Sensitivity is a misleading number, and related only to it's sensitivity at low power. Subs typically get 300+ in an applications, so results change when more power is added. You'll also notice that the Infinities are rated at 2.83V/1M for sensitivity, while most others are rated at 1watt/ 1 meter. As you may have guessed, this affects the sensitivity number, subs that are tested with 2.83V show higher db numbers than 1W, sometimes as much as 3 db. The Alpine is rated at 1W/1M. Go to adireaudio.com, and under technical, it has a SPL calculation tutorial, and you can download that to calculate efficiency based on the thiele small parameters of a driver. High sensitivity comes from the subs suspension and resonant frequency, along with moving mass and other variables. True SPL comes from moving air, excursion, surface area, and if you add a port, the tuned frequency and motor strength, among other variables. Sensitivity and the SPL reading you get aren't as closely linked to one another as people may think. The Adire Audio Brahma, RE X.X.X., JL Audio W7 all show much less sensitivity than the Kappa Perfect sub, but ALL of them will show much higher SPL levels. SPL of the Type R is better in my experience, you have to remember SPL isn't just related to the subwoofer, it's sensitivity, or other ratings, the enclosure you use AND how well your sub works in that enclosure affects SPL, as well as motor strength, resonance of the system, and other factors. SQ of both is good. Honestly, though, in this SPL range and price range, if it were my money, I'd choose the Image Dynamics IDQ subwoofer, you can at least look into it. SQ is outstanding and the sub still provides great impact. It also has better low frequency extension than both. You could also consider dropping the multiple sub idea and get one sub that's better, such as the Eclipse Ti, Image Dynamics ID Max, RE X.X.X., Adire Audio Brahma, etc.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 25
Yea, I know the 89db reading was different. That is why the sentence immediately following the one you quoted me on stated: "However, no information was given as to how this rating was done, so I wouldn't read too much into this information."

Bronze Member

Pensacola, FL USA

Post Number: 33
Jonathon, thanks alot for your insight as well. However, the Image Dynamics IDQ is out of my price range. Also it is rated for 1000W RMS. I am looking to spend under $200 per sub and I have 400W to give to each sub. If it was your money now where would you put it. Thanks.

Bronze Member

Pensacola, FL USA

Post Number: 34
Jonathon, what would you do?

Bronze Member
Username: Wojopro

Post Number: 78
Sounds like an opinion based subject here... Kappas and Type R's... All opinionated here.... Since all box types and vehicles will make the sub sound different it would be hard to compare. Just use your preference. I prefer alpine. Some dont. Just use the facts on the websites and make your decision on that. I have no clue why anyone is looking at the sensitivity rating before the other stats...

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 2902
"However, the Image Dynamics IDQ is out of my price range. Also it is rated for 1000W RMS."

The IDQ isn't 1000W RMS, it's 350 for the 12", same as the Kappa Perfects. I think you're looking at the ID Max. This is the one I'm talking about:
http://www.cardomain.com/item/IDSIDQ12D4V2
It's dead on $200 actually, and that's at cardomain retail pricing, you can get it cheaper elsewhere.

And Michael, I saw that part of your post, I was just telling you it was a 1W/1M reading, the website you saw the Type R on may not have listed that. I wasn't trying to piss you off or anything. That tutorial on the Adire website gives you great equations to fairly compare the sensitivity on drivers, it levels the playing field a lot.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us