Don't know where to begin...Too much info...Not enough...

Username: Jrodrig692

Post Number: 1
(Sorry, bit long)
Currently have a 99 4 runner and just put in a pioneer HU (Christmas).

Birthday is right around corner and I want to setup my system.
I listen to a broad range of music mainly rock New and old) and dance music. All of the speakers are stock, so I want to develop a nice little system in the truck, and at the same time, not get too crazy.
So here goes, where do I begin, and can a newbie do it himself or need professional.
I want to put in a component system up front and 6 1/2 in back. I would like to add a sub, but do not want a big box in the back, so I'm not sure what to do. Whould like to throw an amp in there also.
Lot of talk of Infinity around for front, back doors? Are they easy to install for a beginner?
Can I put the amp under the front seats? Ultimate goal: Nice system that allows a bit of head turning when I want, but overall a system that sounds good at normal levels.
See my problem, so many questions. I have done alot of reading, but its all over the place, so I figured I'd post.

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 2815
Not too hard to do, how much do you have to spend on this?

Post Number: 2
I'm going to piece it out, so I have $300 now to spend on something and then will move onto next item(s)

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 6600
you could put the Infinity Kappa Perfect 6.1 system up front first.
those go for about $200 new on ebay all the time.
well within your starting budget.
Then look at Infinity Kappa 6.5" coaxials for the back.
after that, you can consider a selt-amplified sub such as an Infinity Basslink with it's 10" woofer and 10" radiator. They work well, but nothing that'll really blow ya out of the SUV.
I use one in my grand cherokee and it does well with the OEM premium system to fill in the low end.
The other alternative is putting an amp and a box in the back.
if you have power seats, avoid mounting amps under them. if you have enough room for the amps to breathe, then its ok for a location for the amps.
you should be able to install this all yourself with a little effort.
if you run into trouble you can always go to a local shop for help.

www.knukonceptz.com is a good site for interconnects and power cable etc.. for wiring speakers and amps.

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 6601
PS, before you add the sub, think about a 4 channel amp for the front/rear speakers.
the Perfects like to have a fair amount of power to really perform well.
75-90 watts RMS per channel.

Post Number: 3
I saw your setup for your Jeep and was planning on the same type of design. I see the subs run off the same amp the speakers do, also where do you have the subs?
I am trying to stay away from the box in the back, takes up too much space for me, so I was wondering about other options. Where can the sub go if not in a box?
In the back of the 4 runner there is a storage compartment, is it possible to have a sub set up in there? Fiberglass one out? Thanks.

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 6624
running the entire system on one two-channel amp is very difficult to do to be honest.
you have to have a good understanding of building some good passive crossovers by hand to pull it off. I just did it to prove a point.
Your best bet may be to use a 5 channel amp as a single amp solution.
4 channels for front/rear, and one channel for sub power.
suer if you have the air space you need, you can fiberglass an enclosure into the spare tire well or storage compartment area. you just have to make it heavy enough not to resonate or flex under pressure.
In my jeep I had an enclosure for the two 12" subs. with subs that big, vented, you need about 4cu ft, and that means a good sized box.
no way around that if you want any sort of decent performance.

Post Number: 4
Can the amp then be placed under one of the car seats?
The Basslink where does it go. What I mean is it stand aloneor in a box?
Can a sub be placed out like a speaker is?
Thanks for all the help.

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 6664
if you don't have power seats, and have plenty of room for the amps to get air, they can go under seats, yes.
thre are subs made to be used "free air" but they all suck badly.
a sub needs a box for proper suspension. the basslink is entirely self contained. The enclosure, subs, and amp are all in one package.
you just run power, ground, remote, and RCAs to it.
here's a picture of one in my jeep:

Upload

Post Number: 5
So it looks like an infinity system all the way seems to produce a nice sound, without knocking the neighbors out of the bed. Good for what I am looking for.
Possible on a self install on the Basslink?
Question, when I dump in new front speakers, will there be a sound difference or am I going to have to amp up and add the rears to get some change?
Appreciate the help.

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 6685
you should be able to do the install yourself if you have a bit of common sense and are good with doing this sort of stuff, or at least willing to figure it out as ya go.

the new fronts should help the sound stage a lot.. should open up the full range quite a bit.

Post Number: 6
Do I want the Infinity 62.5 for the rears? They seem pretty cheap 80 bucks or so

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 6750
reference series
they'll do fine for rears
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us