Fosgate bd1500 & 2 JL 12W7

Username: Zippitta

Mulberry, Florida United State...

Post Number: 9
I have had my bd1500 amp for about a year now and have just recently blown a pair of pos audiobahns(did it on purpose to give me a reason to purchase good subs...lol) . Now I am looking into getting 2 12W7's. Here in-lies the problem; they are 3 ohm voicecoil. Is it possible to run a bd1500 at 1.5 ohms or is there some kind of protection relay that prevents it. If it is not possible how would 1 13w7 sound?

Anonymous

I HAVE 2 15 INCH DUAL VOICE COIL CERWIN VEGA STROKERS IN A CUSTOM BOX A PC21400 TO PICK THOSE UP I ALSO HAVE A PCX480 TO PICK UP MB QUART ALL Q SERIES 6&1/2 COMP. SET 4X6 COMP. SET 4 MB QUART 19.02NX TWEETERS TWO LIGHTNING AUDIO DIGITAL CAPS WITH DISTRIBUTER ALPINE IVA-C801 INDASH TV W/ALPINE 12 DISC CD CHANGER AND ALPINE 7 BAND DIGITAL EQ MODEL ERA-G320 WITH A MULTI BATTERY ISOLATOR IM USING A YELLOW TOP OPTIMA IN FRONT AND A RED TOP FOR RESERVE BATTERY AND LAST BUT NOT LEAST I HAVE AN OVER HEAD TV W/DVD PLAYER AND IM PUTTING ALL THIS IN A 1993 CHEVY SUBURBAN. NOW MY QUESTIONS ARE DO I CANCEL OUT THE 4X6 THAT I WAS GOING TO PUT IN THE BACK AND INSTAL 6X9 MB QUARTS IN BOXES 1 ON EACH SIDE AND ALSO SHOULD I USE ALL 0 GAGE OR TWO 4 GAGE LINES ALL THE WAY THROUGH PLEASE RESPOND WITH CLEAR INFO IM REALLY STUCK HERE ALSO MY DOOR PANELS DONT HAVE SPEAKER HOLES SHOULD I GET CUSTOM KICK PANELS FOR THE 6&1/2S OR JUST CUT THE HOLE ON THE DOOR PANELS THANKS FOR THE FEED BACK I APPRECIATE IT

Bronze Member
Username: Deadman

Kirksville, MO USA

Post Number: 25
Big Will,

Don't run that amp at 1.5 ohms. You will blow your subs. Your amp will play at a clipped signal, since it's not stable at 1.5, and will cause your voice coils to heat up quick. Trust me they will blow. My suggestion is to get a new amp or go with some other subs. Adire audio has brahma subs much like those w7's and you can tell them what impedance you need for your amp. They always do a good job of customer care.

Username: Zippitta

Mulberry, Florida United State...

Post Number: 10
Thanks DeadMan,

Now I have one more question/problem. I went to the audio shop to listen to one 12W7 in a wedge box. It didnt fit in my trunk so they put in a 10W7 to show me what it was capable of. He turned my amp almost all the way up and after about 2 1/2 minutes the woofer fried(lol). Do you think that the impedence being 3 ohms had anything to do with it? Or did the amp just over power it( at three ohms I imagine I was pushing 900-1000 watts RMS). The guy told me he thought that the amp had something wrong with it, but it was cold to the touch and didnt even blow an 80 amp fuse.

Silver Member
Username: Jmloughrey

Farmington, CT

Post Number: 624
chances are the gain was set wrong which caused the amp to send a clipped signal to the amp and actually send it electrial power instead of musical waves.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us