Components: Infinity or mb q?

Kev Smith
Unregistered guest
Currently looking at Infinity kappas,infinity reference and MBQ Reference series to run off of an Alpine cda9831 HU without an amp(for the moment). I listen to alot of hiphop,rap,rock,alt. and metal... I've got my sights on Infinity Kappa 60.5cs / 50.5cs and MB Quart RCE 213 / RCE 216. I've read that infinity reference are somewhat bright..im looking for the kinda sound dats well balanced, with a smooth range goin from highs to mids. I will be upgrading to an amp and sub in the ..uh..distant future.. Any comments or feedbacks are welcomed..or if anyone has other suggestions for the components..i'm all ears.

Username: Phx

Post Number: 6
this is all opinion: the mb quarts are the brightest highs and best midbass response of those you mentioned, which i prefer. the kappas sound pretty good and soft, i thought the kappa perfects were very nice and won't wear your ears out. the infinity reference series i wouldn't buy personally, i didnt really like those. again, this is just my opinion, and i'm no expert. you really have to hear them yourself

NappyDugout
Unregistered guest
MB quarts are off the hook. No contest in my book. Do you like Alt/metal/rap/hiphop/rock? Go MB. Do you like Tim McGraw, Hootie and lots of strummy guitars? GO Inf. L8r man. I have the MB and 2Pac All Eyez On Me sounds impeccible. Later.

Kev
Unregistered guest
I was looking at the RCE 216 specs and it has a freq. response of 38hz-32khz..that looks pretty good to me..but like phx said though,i'll audition those two first. Leaning towards MB..heheh. BTW anyone has any experience with Diamond Audio's CM361?

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 2745
"this is all opinion: the mb quarts are the brightest highs and best midbass response of those you mentioned, which i prefer. the kappas sound pretty good and soft, i thought the kappa perfects were very nice and won't wear your ears out."

All of these component sets are bright, the Kappa Perfects being the brightest. The Perfects tweeter can just plain out hurt if you don't install it far from you and cut it down on the crossover, the Kappas are pretty bright too, but not as much as the Perfects. Both the Kappas and Perfects are much brighter than the Infinity Reference series, if that tells you anything. The Quarts have a little more midbass with a bright tweeter, but because of this IMO they don't transition well. What it translates to in an install is that they can have a tendency to sound layered. If you want a warm and balanced sound, you aren't really going to get it from any of these sets. Look into CDT Classics or HDs in that price range, very good components and are much more balanced. Depends a lot on how much you can spend, you may can save a little bit and invest in some Adire Kodas, which kick a$$ by the way, especially in factory spots.

Kev
Unregistered guest
Alrite, thanks for the tip man...im gonna go do some research on those.

Username: Phx

Post Number: 9
i felt the mb's sounded brighter than the infinitys when i listened to in store demos, but i'm sure they sound different in-car because i just listened to a set of dyn 360s in an RSX today and they were waaaaaaaayyyy better than the soundboard demonstration led me to believe! damn those speakers play jazz well

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 2800
Yeah, the Kappa Perfect mids don't quite have the off axis response that the Quarts do, that affects a lot of it. The Dynaudios are optimized for off axis response such as in kick panels, they sound a LOT different in a car, can't agree with you more.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us