Which components to choose?

Bronze Member
Username: Scab12886

Post Number: 23
i have been looking at component sets for some time now and i still cant decide which to get. since this is my first real system in my car, i was leanin towards MB Quart Premiums. there seem to be mixed feelings about that set on this forum. some people have said to get dynaudio, or rainbow. i recently just read jonathon mention the adire koda set. so i'm hoping to choose from one of those. i don't know if one would better suit my tastes in music. the MB Quart set is the only one i can actually listen to first hand. also since is my 1st system, i was thinking go with that, and then i can always upgrade later. or should i just save up and get a better set now?? any input on which set you think i should invest in would be great. and any general feedback about any of the sets would also be appreciated. thanks!

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 2750
You ALWAYS lose money when you choose to eventually upgrade. Not being mean, it's just that you're better off getting what you really want to begin with. The Kodas are much better than the Quart Premiums IMO, the midbass is much stronger (and accurate) and the tweeter isn't overly bright or lacking detail. Given that I like warmer, more neutral and accurate sets, I'd choose the Kodas over the Quarts personally. But that's just it, it's totally my opinion and not yours. The Premiums are very good speakers, but from what you described on the other thread about wanting a more relaxed tweeter (not overly bright) and good all around sound quality, the Quarts just don't seem to fit your taste. The Dynaudios and Rainbows are fantastic for neutral accurate sound IF you can afford them. Some people don't like the Dyns because they're so neutral, keep that in mind.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 24
thanks jon. this is a stupid question but can you explain "neutral" a little bit? would that just be like you wouldn't hear the cymbols as loudly? i'm sorry for all the simplistic questions but it's just kinda hard when i can only hear one of these sets, and there are so many options. thanks for any feedback!

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 2754
Neutral as in a sense of balance. The tweeter blends very well with the mid and isn't overly loud at certain frequencies. If you were to listen to Dynaudios beside Kappa Perfects, you'd notice the Perfects tweeter is very strong. So yes, the Perfects would seem louder on cymbals, etc. Because of this, the midrange and midbass would also seem less pronounced and not as powerful on the Perfects, giving them a bright and more crisp, clinical sound. The Dynaudios, in comparison, would produce the mixture with more balance, meaning you hear the music more as it was intended to sound. The tweeters will still produce the cymbals and treble accurately, but it won't stick out like with the Infinities, you'll hear the midrange blended with it, and all in all they work together better. The sound produced isn't overbearing at certain frequencies, and doesn't have as much of it's own characteristic sound, it's truer to the music. It's warm, dynamic, and accurate.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 25
alright, thanks a lot. so the dynaudios are really good, sound good. and the kodas that you mentioned would be closer to the sound of the dynaudio as opposed to the MB Quarts?

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 2758
Yep. The Kodas are very good components, they were designed for factory locations, they work well in lower door locations.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 26
so you would think that set is a safe choice to go with? i looked at them at the adire website and saw they were on sale for $225 i think. thats less than half the dynaudios i was lookin at. are the dynaudios, being considerably more expensive, that much better as a set of speakers? or do you think the kodas would be good enough for my everyday use without spending too too much money?

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 2763
I think you'd be more than happy with the Kodas. $225 is a steal for those components.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 27
alright thanks. if i went with that set, or saved up for the dynaudio's, would a JL 300/4 amp be alright to power them? i realize this is in the wrong section but i figured it would be good to continue the thread.

Silver Member
Username: Jeremyc

Kunsan AfbSouth Korea

Post Number: 270
If you are going to Biamp them that would be ok. However if I was you I would go with the 300/2. I beleive that is the same amp Jonathan is using on his.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 28
thanks jeremy. i thought it would be good to use the 300/2, but at Tweeter, where i go to listen and just see what i should get, they were sayin that when i was lookin at the MB Quart Premiums, to get the 300/4 amp for just that. so it would be like 75 watts to each speaker essentially. wasnt sure if that was possible and right, but thats what they said. just wanted to see if the same thing would apply to either the koda or dynaudio set, or if i should just get the 300/2 amp.

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 2766
Using biamping on a passive crossover is a total waste of an amp channel IMO. Just get the 300/2 or a good 2 channel that does around 100x2 RMS at 4 ohms and you'll be good to go, and cheaper to boot.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us