Happy to move from MB Quart PCE216 to old A/D/S/ 320i's

Username: Aaronrryan

Redondo Beach, CA USA

Post Number: 6
I had some MB Quart Premium PCE216 6.5" components put in my Mercedes Benz C230, and I was just never happy with the sound I was getting out of them. The highs were just too bright, and screechy to my ears.

First of all, my tweeter were in the dash and firing at the window, so I realize that is the biggest reason. I attentuated the highs in the crossover down by -6db, and that was hardly noticable. The woofers were free air mounted in the doors, which sucked for mids. I ended up buying a Audiocontrol equalizer and dropping the 1Khz and 4Khz range down by 12db. However at high volumes, it just didnt sound right, still somewhat too bright, with low midbass.

A friend of mine had some old a/d/s 320i that she sweared were awesome. I read online that the a/d/s 320i were legendary in the 80's. So, I had to try them. I installed the tweeters in the same place firing at the window. The woofers I install in semi-sealed enclosures in the door, that I made out of large PVC pipes and plywood.

All I can say is WOW!!!

I'm able to remove my EQ from car now, and i can push those speakers at full volume, and the highs are clear and crisp without being screechy. The mid-bass is now vivid and noticable.

The a/d/s tweeter is a silk dome (I think) and it really made a difference.

I was so happy, I felt I had to share with you guys.

My Setup:
HU: Alpine CDA-9833
AMP: JL Audio 500/5
Front: a/d/s/ 320i
Rear: MB Quart DSD-110
Sub: JL Audio 12w3v2
Extras: Alpine KCA-420i iPod adapter
and SIR-ALP1 Sirius Radio
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help