Email me at jewelbags@yahoo.com

Username: Klone420

Post Number: 3
I have Some old amps that I bridged one is a kenwood that pushes 800W @14.5v 4ohms, the other is a Denon pro. that pushes 500w @14.5v 4ohms they are both 2 channel. I want to hook up all 4 channels to two 12" kenwoods for max power/watts how can i do this?

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 6066
connecting two amps to the same coils will short out your amplifiers

ewrt
Unregistered guest
Just hook one sub up to each amp. Make sure your box has a devider in the middle or the subs will fight each other.

Silver Member
Username: Fryguy

Nova Scotia Canada

Post Number: 412
If your subs were DVC subs you could get away with a more reasonable setup.

soloution I had in mind;(One amp on each single coil on each sub, running different wattages on each coil would be a bit odd (I know i'm going to get flamed for this one) but should yield decent results for the time being) but thats not possible with single voice coil subs.

Silver Member
Username: Jeremyc

Kunsan AfbSouth Korea

Post Number: 258
What??? Do not hook each amp to a diffrent voice coil. The amps will fight each other and it will fry your voice coils. Thats the same as hooking the right chanel to one coil and the left chanel to the other coil. It will fry your speaker.

Silver Member

Nova Scotia Canada

Post Number: 422
Not true, hooking to independent voice coils wont do any harm if its DVC subs the only harm that could be done is if you wire one coil in reverse and the amps fight each other with opposing magnetic fields (you'll know this because you wont get much sound from the DVC speaker). If the amps are wired correctly to the DVC sub they will aid each other same as usual, except that the wattages are different per coil and one will do more work.

Silver Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 836
Not a good idea at all. The goal in DVC coil sub is to apply equal amount of power to each voice coil. You never want to over power or under power one of them. I've did some research on it.
You can even email the speaker manufacturer and they will clearly tell you, not to do that.
Unless you have cheap subs and don't care, I wouldn't do it.

Silver Member

Nova Scotia Canada

Post Number: 424
Over powering will cause damage but underpowering won't hurt. If thats that case then turning down the volume will damage speakers, hardly the case. Its not an ideal operating condition but the magnetic fields will aid each other (like two bar magnets together are stronger as one)and give a decent volume for now.

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 6374
never, ever supply different amounts of power to each coil of a DVC sub.

you're just asking for trouble.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us