Sub Problem

Username: Erushnak

Post Number: 5
So my sub and everything was working fine, left town for 3 days and during that time it was probably around -10 to -20 outside at night. This morning it was still pretty cold out and I was driving with the bass turned down alot. After about 20 minutes I turned up the volume and I could hear a bad sound coming from my trunk.

Naturaly I turned it back down soon as I heard it and left it where I had it before. I get home and notice that my sub is pretty cold/frozen so I just take it inside and warm it up.

No dice, it does the same thing all the time now. Makes a rattling sound whenever I try and turn it up beyond a certain point.

Am I screwed with this sub? Could it be the amp not operating well(temp never went above -10C today)? Anything I can look for on the sub that might confirm or deny this type of damage? Anything else relevant is also encouraged.

Silver Member
Username: Zacdavis~

Post Number: 312
sometimes the glue that hold either the spider or surround will become brittle in frigid weather and break loose, inspect the woofer visually, look very close all around where the spider meets the basket and where it meets the cone/vc former.
if this is the case you can use an epoxy to reglue it.

Post Number: 6
I removed the sub and checked the part around the cone and that seems to check out fine. I am an amature and am not sure where this spider and the basket are.

Silver Member
Username: Zacdavis~

Post Number: 315
the spider/damper is the round ribbed cloth part that is in under the cone, at one end it is glued to the cone and the other is out along the edge of the basket. the basket has the holes in it to mount the speaker and it holds the magnet
http://www.caraudiomag.com/specialfeatures/0109cae_subwoofer/

Post Number: 7
I'm pretty sure now that the sub is blown.

I'm just wondering what anyones thoughts are on this situation. I bought a system and knowing I'd probably screw something up I just paid an install fee and had the dealer do it. Problem is they installed the wrong sub/box that I bought at the time.

I live a fair distance from the dealer (about 3 hours) so I wasn't about to spend 6 hours of my day driving for something they screwed up on and they shipped me a new sub/box. It may also be noted that they never even mentioned they should probably do it themselves. I followed the install directions as best as I could and it ran fine with daily use for about a month untill now.

I have yet to talk to the dealer as this just happened tonight but if they come back and say I somehow screwed up the install so it's my problem would the fact that I paid for it to be installed then not having it done force them into to replacing it? I mean they screwed up in the first place and if they had done the job correctly none of this would have happened as I never would have had to do anything that could screw it up.

Then there is always the chance that it was just a bad sub. Anyway though, just wondering what you people would expect be done if it was my fault under the circumstances.

Unregistered guest
What I would do is too try a different sub from one of my friends one one that I have laying around and try it. If the sub that your going to try out doesnt sound the same as your good sub that means your voice coil got frozen and ate the rms of it. But if it stills sound like that with the cheap sum its your amp.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us