What wiring do i need?

dh256
Unregistered guest
I am wiring a MTX 801d (800x1 @ 2ohms) to an Id max sub. They will both be in the hatch area of a Toyota 4runner. I will also be powering a set of infinity perfect 6.1 in the front doors with an MTX Thunder 342 (85x2 @ 4ohms).This amp will also be in the cargo area (trunk) What gauge power wire should i use? What gauge speaker wire? Do I need distribution blocks? Where can i get wiring the cheapest while still maintaining some quality? The fuse ratings on the amps are 25x3 and 20x2.
Thanks

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 6278
you may squeeze by with 4ga, but 2ga would be the best bet.
that'd be for alternator to battery, battery to ground, and battery to amps in back.
at the amps, use a distro block to split down to smaller 4ga or 8ga to each amp, and keep that run short with the smaller wire. Use the same size from dist block to amp as for amp to ground.

try www.knukonceptz.com for the interconnects and power cable
and partsexpress.com or sounddomain.com for anything else you may not find there you want to use.

for speaker wire, 16ga is fine for components, and 14-12ga for subs.

dh256
Unregistered guest
Thanks Glasswolf,
since the fuses on the amps add up to 115 amperes does that mean that the amps will only draw up to 115 amperes? Also If i used 4 ga from battery to dist.block could i split that into 4 ga. and 8 ga. I know that i could split it, but would the power be drawn from the block to the amps correctly? If i play it at no higher than say 2/3 of the volume would 4 ga. suffice. I want to save money by not using 1/0 ga. wire , but i don't want to do it at the price of safety and quality. Thanks

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 6346
4ga is ok up to 125A max, but that decreases as distance inreases.
you'll probably be ok using 4ga at 115A.
with what you're running you're looking at about 100A of current at full output so 4ga is good.

run 4ga. use a dist block that splits to the 4 and 8ga as needed.
the amps will draw whatever current they need. no more, no less.
the size of the wire really just affects how well the cable can carry the current without heating up.
you should be fine.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us