Grounding

Anonymous

I know everyone recommend thats you ground as close to the amp as possible. What are the disadvantages of running the ground back to the battery. What i was goin to do was run a 1/0ga to the back and use a distro block to get my 2 grounds. Would that cause any problems.

Silver Member
Username: Jeremyc

Kunsan AfbSouth Korea

Post Number: 217
The longer your ground wire the more static you will pick up. Electricity flows from ground to positive. The reason you keep the ground wire short is to keep EMI and EFI to a minimum. Then there is the added cost of the extra wire, and so one. I would redo your wire from the battery to ground, the wire from your alt to battery, and if you want the wire from your chassi to engine block. Then do a wire a few feet long in the back, hooked to a distrabution block, and then to your amps.

Silver Member

Kunsan AfbSouth Korea

Post Number: 218
One more thing be sure you remove all paint and dirt from metal before you attatch your ground wires. A wire brush atached to a cordless drill works great for this.

Username: Chisses2002

Post Number: 1
If you get 1\0ga grounda and then you split it you will have purfecr traund and you shouldnt get any static,,wen you get static is wen you hve to much misistens and you will not with 1\0ga,,the other thing that couses static is youre RCA'S that is a big problem.

Post Number: 2
Sorry for the misspells...
If you get 1\0ga ground from the battery and then you split it you will have perfect ground and you shouldnt get any static. when you get static is when you have to much resistance and you will not with 1\0ga.

Silver Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 791
Hey, noice/static is not related to the size of wire gauge. You will get noise, if the ground isn't solid. Get a power distribution block for your power wires. Much easier to connect multi amps/devices.

Bronze Member
Username: Protrex

Post Number: 21
I had problems with grounding UNTILL I ran a wire directly to my - terminal on my battery. Everything worked better after I ran a ground wire.

-Jamie

Post Number: 3
If you have 1\0ga wire that is 15ft you will get better voltage,,and if you get 8ga wire that is 15ft you will not flow better then the 1\0ga wire so there is a difference...You will have more resistance in the 8ga then the 1\0ga wire.

Silver Member

Kunsan AfbSouth Korea

Post Number: 246
Jesus resistance in your ground wire does not cause static. Electromagnatic radiation, and pulses that are picked up by the wire cause static. Thats why you run your RCAs on the oppisite side of the car from your power wire.

If you ran a wire from your amps to - on your battery, and it fixed ytour problem. Then your factory ground, or the original ground you installed wasn't very good. Thats whay you should always run a new wire from the battery to ground, and from the alt to battery.

Bronze Member
Username: Protrex

Post Number: 27
I was installing in a Honda Civic, and there isn't very much metal in those cars.

-Jamie

Silver Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 856
Hey Jamie, have you checked under the back seat? That's where most people ground.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us