Encosure Q

Bronze Member
Username: Araknid

Post Number: 43
What other noticable differences can be detected between bandpass and sealed enclosures other then DB?

Bronze Member
Username: Addicted2bass

Miami, FLORIDA USA

Post Number: 45
another huge noticable difference is the sound quality. Bandbass is horrible for sq. There good for spl but for sq i dont think so. The sealed arent great for spl, but for sq there the best type of box you can build for sq

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 6166
look at typical frequency response in cabin.
bandpass enclosures spike between about 50 to 120Hz, and roll off fairly fast below about 60Hz or so on average. That's why they're called "band pass." They're efficient and thus louder, but they don't hit deeply.
Sealed enclosures combined with adequate power, and cabin gain below transfer point, will yield a flat response down to a full octave below audible range, but a sealed box takes more power, and isn't as efficient.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 44
what if u want poeple to hear and feel it from far away? which is more noticable from outside?

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 6175
If you want people to hear your system far away, I suggest you go buy a PA System. Not a car stereo.
Nobody wants to hear you. Ever.
Keep it in your car please.

Silver Member
Username: Jeremyc

Kunsan AfbSouth Korea

Post Number: 239
Glass did you run out of your (nice medicine)?
I feel your pain man. There is alot of people on here with good questions that they can't find anywhere else. Then there is the other questions that make me feel like I lost a few brain cells reading them.

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 6184
I jsut get tired of seeing people ask how to p*ss off everybody in a 3 block radius.
They need to keep in mind that sound is energy, and the more energy they can keep inside the car, the louder the stereo will be for the driver. The more you hear anything outside the car, the less you hear it inside by the same idea. Nobody really wants to hear your system 5 cars away at stop lights, and to be honest, people who take delight in cranking up their systems in urban areas so everyone else can hear them do the following things:
-make great targets for thieves
-make even better targets for police and neighborhood and community activists who get laws passed that enforce noise ordinances which thereby ruin the entire scene for even those of us who are responsible in our listening practices.
-cause themselves irrepairable hearing damage
-quite often cause violence and road rage in other drivers, which nobody needs.
-have poorly designed systems with little sound deadening, and a lot of inefficiency.
-often get their cars and systems impounded or confiscated and sold fof at police auctions as a result of their indiscretions.

these are but a few of the problems that result from irresponsible practices, and if you think about it, the reason kids have a hard time getting systems due to parental refusal, and the reason car audio has such a bad name, and there are more and more laws being passed disallowing any system heard more than 50 feet away.. is because of these people who blithely disregard and show no respect for the privacy of others.

I fed my happy pills to the cat.

Silver Member
Username: Erik123456

Arlington, Tx

Post Number: 216
you really know people who have had their systems impounded and sold for playing their stereos too loud?

Silver Member
Username: Erik123456

Arlington, Tx

Post Number: 217
and while not everyone wants to hear them im guessing a 18 yr old little glass was known to crank it up from time to time to show off

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 6201
yeah I've known a couple people who've had their systems taken for multiple offenses. Usually city ordinances where towns try to crack down on disturbances by passing very strict laws on things like that.
It sucks I'm sure. Thankfully, I naver ran into that problem. I'm in a fairly small town sort of area here, so most of the cops know everybody on sight, or by the car they drive. Thankfully there's also a beach strip up here people can park along and do pretty much anything they want within reason during the day, too.. good for people with nice cars to show off.

Erik, I never really had to show off.. I worked at the shop, and competed. I drove a car that had audio company vinyl all over it, so the car was pretty recognisable around town. If people wanted to hear it they'd jsut drop by the store and ask.
That I suppose, made it a lot easier to avoid temptation but then I have A/C in the car too, so I can keep the windows up year round and not worry about sitting at lights and irritating anyone.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 45
Well im just askin cuz im in high shcool and will be driving soon and u know what its like in high school with everybody showing off stuff they got. I want to have a little something know one else around has.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 46
so can u plz answer my question instead of lecturing and criticising me?

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 6221
http://www.diysubwoofers.org/
http://www.jlaudio.com/tutorials/magic/index.html

those two links tell all about pros/cons of various box designs. Feel free to ask specifics after reading those if you have any questions they don't answer.

Just be careful. While parking lots are a much better place away from uninterested crowds to show off, it's also a good way to attract the attention of undesireables looking to boost your system.
I'd strongly urge you to consider an alarm system for the car too, if you're going to drop much into the sound system in the car.
Better safe tahn sorry.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 47
i dont have to worry to much since I live in boca
about getting it stolen ty anyway

Silver Member
Username: Jeremyc

Kunsan AfbSouth Korea

Post Number: 248
Mike you will find that people are far more impressed by excelent sound inside the car, than a loud radio outside the car. I had numerous people talk trash about my last stereo (you could barely hear it on the outside of the truck). However every one of them told me it was the best sounding, or one of the best sounding they have ever heard, once they had a chance to hear it from the inside.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us