A couple newby questions

Username: Blakktalon

Post Number: 2
Im pretty smart, and have learned pages of stuff, as soon as i found this cool site. But i still got a couple curiositys. 1. how do you get your car to put out 14.4 to get more wattage out of your amps, or is that just a numbers scam?

Secondly, is there a way to convert just one speaker to a 2ohm load, I dont really have the extra money to go out and buy two more infinity 6*9's. and i dont wanna mono the pair if I dont have to.

I think thats about it with the sillyness, ill keep reading and offer up advice if I can.
thanks

Bronze Member
Username: Rzarector

Coquitlam, Bc Canada

Post Number: 23
14.4 volt rms ratings mean that is how much the amp is producing when your driving because the alternator is producing higher voltage 12 volt is when the car is off or idling

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 6339
how do you get your car to put out 14.4 to get more wattage out of your amps, or is that just a numbers scam?

the car's battery is 12.5 volts
the alternator puts out 14.4 volts when the car is running and above idle.
this is a charging voltage since voltage across the battery has to be higher than the voltage of the battery itself in order to be charged.
this is why amps with unregulated power supplies offer both power ratings.

Secondly, is there a way to convert just one speaker to a 2ohm load, I dont really have the extra money to go out and buy two more infinity 6*9's. and i dont wanna mono the pair if I dont have to.

not really. the speaker's impedanec is a fixed vale.
the only way to alter load really is by how you wire multiple speakers to the same channel of an amp.
if these speakers are rear speakers though, you may want to seriously consider bridging the amp and running them in series, mono.
this article will explain why:
http://www.wickedcases.com/caraudio/rearfill.html

Post Number: 3
thanks for the info, I was just thinking out my next move in my head, but hadnt quite got there. the article helped.

Right now I got 65 watts rms *2 but i bridged them one amp per 6*9. so probably 130 per speaker, while the door speakers and tweets are running off the 22rms deck power. I am sure they would love to have the 65 back.

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 6357
gah. typos.
I meant the speaker's impedance is a fixed value.
sorry about that. It was 3am, and I was getting tired.

on the speakers, remember if you run one 6x9 per channel on two channels, or if you bridge teh amp and run both speakers together in series on the bridged channel, each speaker gets the same power either way. bridging doesn't really increase the amp's output. It merely puts the full power of a two ohm stereo load into a single 4 ohm load. the drawback is that the amp is only stable to twice it's minimum load when bridged.. so 4 ohms instead of 2. In your case though, bridging just helps by sending a mono signal to eliminate that drift effect caused by bright rear fill.

you may be better off powering teh front stage with the amp and just turning down the rears, and powering them from the weaker head unit power, unless you go with a 4 channel amp and power fronts on channels 1 and 2, then bridged channels 3 and 4 and run the rears in series, and fade to the front more to quiet down the rears.

Post Number: 4
unfortunatly the 4 channel, and sub are out of my price range till the new year. The 69's are my primary source of bass. the fronts reference 6000i, components are pretty hight on the sound range output. Im gonna try as you suggested, and play with the fade, also adjust the whole thing when im done according to the new info i learndeded. Muchos gracias senor, Glasswolf.

Plus typos are commen at 3am so dont worry about it. They are much worse after 3am worth of beers.

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 6392
indeed.
do what ya gotta do with what ya have.
my suggestions were mainly for when you have the gear to do it, if you're after good SQ.
if you have small speakers in front, you're pretty much stuck with the rears to cover what's missing.
that happens.
part of the fun of the auto environment.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us