Fooling factory X-Overs

Anonymous

I posted this to speakers, but seems better fit here.

I have a JL Audio XR653 component set. It comes with 3 speakers and a 3-way crossover. The overall set is rated 70W RMS 4-ohm as far as an amp is concerned.

For reasons I won't go into, the desire is to install the 6.5" and 4" speaker w/crossover but leave the tweeter out completely.

The crossover is expecting this tweeter to be connected. The tweeter used in this set is the 8ohm XR100-CT.

Should I just run as-is, or should I put an 8-ohm 10W resistor across the crossover's tweeter connection terminals?

What will make the crossover happy and keep everything nice and balanced/kosher?

Anonymous

Nobody knows this?

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 6079
I'm trying to figure out why you'd want to do this at all

Anonymous

As I said in the original, the tweeter has no place in the factory speaker holes, and no new holes/drilling is permitted. As such, again, the question is whether an 8ohm 10W resistor needs to be placed on the passive factory crossover for the 3-way set so that the crossover still has the proper ohm load on it (replace the tweeter with the resistor).

If anyone can answer this question as it is, lemme know. I figured there might be a few EE's here...

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 6100
just leave the tweeter disconnected.
all the resistor will do is use power, create heat, and be a potential hazard.

Seriously though, if location is the problem, just try using some fiberglass kick pods.. no holes needed, and you can get prefab Qforms, or make your own..

Anonymous

Thanks. I'm trying to talk him out of having a rear channel at all and simply putting a pair of subs in the spot where the 6.5" units were going to go...there is already a sealed enclosure in that factory spot...

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 6105
yeah if he refuses to cut any holes, his best bet is to dump the 3 way setup and go with good 2 way separates and go with kick pods for a 5.25" or 6.5" set where no cutting is needed.
then add a sub or subs to fill in where the separates roll off.
that's a much simpler solution to his dilemma.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us