How to Hack/Change a JL Component Set

Anonymous

Equipment: JL Audio XR653 component set (6.5/4/1 w/x-overs) Set rated 70W RMS at 4ohm as far as an amp will see.

Desired Change: Safely remove tweeter altogether while maintaining proper load/draw on crossover.

Tweeter to be removed is 8-ohm JL Audio XR100-CT, and that crossover is designed to expect that tweeter's load.

Proposed Solution for Discussion: Install an 8-ohm 10W wire-wound resistor onto the tweeter output terminals of the crossover to substitute for the removed tweeter.

Is this safe? Will this be a proper fit/solution and make the crossover happy? Is it even needed (i.e. can I just yank the tweet with nothing to replace it at all on the crossover).

Thanks in advance.

Anonymous

Nobody knows the answer(s)?

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 2676
Just disconnect the tweeter altogether. Then, set the crossover to bi-amp via the jumper terminals and then the tweeter circuit won't get power at all. By the way, you won't screw a crossover up by disconnecting a load, but with the crossover set to bi-amp your tweeter section of the crossover will recieve no amp power in the form of heat.

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 2680
Oops, you have the XR-653. But still, you can just disconnect the tweet. By the way, why are you removing the tweeter? Do you plan to eventually replace it, or is it too bright, or what?

Anonymous

The location for this rear set has only 2 factory locations, a 4" and 6.5". No cutting/drilling allowed (cousin's car). No other set in the JL line offered comparable power rating in a coax 4", so the decision was made to get the XR653 to keep the 70W RMS (same as front) but simple omit the rear tweets. Front will still have tweet, so no huge impact to sound anyway, rear is more for mid and fill anyway. As such, I'm simply omitting the tweet, but keeping the crossover for the sake of the other two speakers' performance. I was just concerned that the crossover would somehow be negatively affected by the absence of the tweet, either from a resistance or power load perspective. Thanks for the answer.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us