Why do Store owners think they know everything??

Bronze Member
Username: Karthalin

Tacoma, WA USA

Post Number: 20
Ok, owner of store near me (ONLY distributor of RE subs near Tacoma, Wa) says that RE X.X.X are good subs for ghetto base, below 50Hz. Tells me that my Music (Techno) is recorded between 40 and 75Hz. Therefore, for my music RE X.X.X is bad. I should get a Treo, mabye an Orion H2. Is this true?

Also, this guys says that I should get a Planet Audio amp. Tells me it has a 5 year warranty and its good, quality power. What the shiot? I thought Planet Audio was down there with Pyle and Pyramid crap?!?

FINALLY, the guy tells me that I should buy an amp at TWICE the subs rated power. I.E. if sub X can handle 1500W RMS, then I need a 2000W RMS amp and only use 60% of amps power (1200W). Isnt this a large waste of money? I was thinking buy an Amp at the subs rated power and use 80-85%. I am getting dazed and confused here.....

Would someone with experience just tell me what to do here? I want something LOUD (~140DB) and tight, and quick, precision base. I dont listen to Lil John or much of any R&B. I like Real fast music, real hard hitting music. Will RE's be a bad way to go?????????

Username: Klone420

Post Number: 2
The owner is talking mostly Sh!t, First thing you should get is a good head unit and start from there. Most good head units have an equalizer built in so you can adjust the Frequency(Hz),Q factor(dB),gain,etc.. exp. subs-40-160Hz mids-200-2k Hz and highs-3k-14k Hz but you can also adjust your amps Freq.&Sensitivity.

I think they told you to buy an amp with twice the power because a 1000W amp dosen't push that all the time thats the max It might push that for music that is something like 50bpm. I say you should get at lease one good amp (JL,alpine,denon,kenwood,etc..)then get a second amp (cheap one) and bridge them for max power. I think the best subs for the money and LOUDNESS that you need are the JLW7's because if there not warrantied by the store, JL warranties all there products for free.

From what I've read dB are just the sounds that the speakers can read, I think dBW is the Loudness.
There are several factors that make up the sound quality/loudness. first, Watts-(power) 2nd Amperes-(current) 3rd Volts-(the push/pressure) last Ohms-(resistance) I have the formulas to find these out givin any two, but I cant write anymore because my head hurtz

P.S I'm not an expert or anything It's just a hobby for me while I'm smokin weed&bumpin Lil' John so don't blame me if I wrong about anything.
anymore questions email @ jewelbags@yahoo.com
skeet,skeet,skeet motherfUxR

Help2
Unregistered guest
Planet Audio is made by the same company who
makes Boss...although theyre a bit better than Boss,
I would stay away from them.

a X.X.X. is an SQ sub that can get loud.
It would be great for any music if the box is sealed.
A Trip X on an eD NINe 1 would be really nice.
I have no idea what Andrew is saying,
but as far as Daisy chaining 2 different amps...
thats a no-go...no matter what.

Silver Member
Username: Lbeckner

Tulsa, Ok Usa

Post Number: 113
no planet audio 4 me. thank u very much. get a good amp rated about the same as the speaker or less. don't always need 1000 watts 2 get alot of sound.

Bronze Member

Tacoma, WA USA

Post Number: 22
Ok, so for my sound setup, me NOT being a conesiouer(sp?) of sound will Triple X's work, or would Treo be better? Sound store guy says Treo cause of my music preference, is he just talkin oughta his a$$?

I dont know why I am worring about this, the guy says he gives all his customers 10 days to trade in any sub. He tells me I can get the Triple X's, run em for a day, swap in a Treo or two, run those, listen to some Orions, and which ever ones I like I keep. Which makes me think, are some of his inventory Slightly used? Man, f*ck this place, f*ck em right in the bum. I hate car audio stores.

Is ANYONE on here liveing in Tacoma/Seattle wanna help me out?

Silver Member
Username: Jeremyc

Kunsan AfbSouth Korea

Post Number: 208
Casey, I have never heard re subs, but a few of the guys here run them and love them. I would look for a diffrent dealer. Sounds like this guy is really shady. You might get the subs from him, but I would get the rest some where else. I am a techno guy too, and I loved my boston pro 12. So if you have a boston dealer close you might look into some of their stuff too. I have never meat a boston dealer that was as full of dodoo as this guy. Then again, there are dirt bags every where. I hope you have better luck in the future, and stay away from the guy you have been talking to.

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 6090
I use two triple X 12" subs in my SQ pro circuit event car and they're perfectly good subs.
Treo subs are very nice as well, but they aren't going to really be any "better" than an RE for the BS reasons he tried to give you.
By the way most "ghetto bass" (ie RAP music) centers it's bass around the 60Hz area on an RTA. It's almost in the midbass range.
How something sounds and how it really is on a meter are two very different things many times.

PA amps are half a notch above BOSS and owned by the same company.

As for power ratings, remember the power handling of a sub is a thermal rating of the amount of heat the sub can take without damage to the coils.
Going over the rated power handling is asking for fried coils on subs. Most subs don't even need close to their "rated" power to reach full excursion in a good enclosure anyway, and that's all the power you really need.
The only reason for more power would be for a steeper curve of power increas to volume control, so you have stronger bass at low volume.

Bronze Member

Tacoma, WA USA

Post Number: 23
Jeremy/Glass, thaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaank you! I should have realizied the shadiness of the store when I first walkd in. Everything was laid as if it were at a flea market and it smelled of rodents. Hehehe.... Ok, I wont rule out RE's like that funk nut wants me to. Thanks again!

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 6108
try to find a car running RE subs and audition them. if ya get a chance, see if ya like them yourself.

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 2688
"Also, this guys says that I should get a Planet Audio amp. Tells me it has a 5 year warranty and its good, quality power."

That 5 year warranty doesn't indicate quality. It indicates that the company uses cheap parts and makes a lot of money off of you. If your amp ever fails, they're willing to replace their crappy cheap parts with other cheap parts, and they still will come out on top in the end.

"FINALLY, the guy tells me that I should buy an amp at TWICE the subs rated power. I.E. if sub X can handle 1500W RMS, then I need a 2000W RMS amp and only use 60% of amps power (1200W). Isnt this a large waste of money?"

Any GOOD amp will have tons of headroom in the first place. Most well built amps have a power supply capable of providing up to 3-4x the continuous power rating so that it has plenty of headroom. Of course, extremists and competitors do use 2-3x the necessary power for headroom purposes, but extremists and competitors generally don't have tight budgets, and it's overkill most of the time. It is very unlikely you'd notice a difference at normal listening levels.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us